Critique My Mix (Indie/Shoegaze/Experimental)

Magnawolf

Hey so I've been lurking the forums for a quite a while and my main focus is getting better at mixing. I'm gonna acquire a lot of better gear in a month and I want to get a lot better at mixing. However for now, all I've been using is a USB mic (AT2020), tracked/mixed/mastered in FL Studio. I've been recording a bunch of new tracks but I want some feedback on my old songs to improve my mixing for my upcoming songs that I'm going to release.

I'll start the replies with the vocals are inaudible. I could hear voices but not a single word could I understand.

I listened to Black Eye.

Good mood setting. I liked the guitar riff. Or maybe that's a bass.

Yeah the vocals are really low. Maybe start by bringing down the rhythm guitars ~2-3dbs and raising the vocal by the same amount. The guitars are also covering the drums, although to a lesser extent.

Mix is missing just a bit of low end. Not real bad, but a bit on the lite side.

The reverb was kind of cool. I don't normally like much of it, but for this mix it worked. However, it is causing the tracks to all kind of blend together.

Pretty cool, I know in shoegaze the vocals are sorta drowned out sometimes but I can barely hear the singing. you should bring them vocals up! Also it seems like you have brick walled these mixes quite a bit. I think the songs may sound better with a lil more dynamic range. Overall two solid tracks though!

Disapper definitely reminds of Pumpkins... Hummer off of the older album Siamese Dream. I'd use that to your advantage and check out how the mix for that song sounds.

Vocals sound naturally soft and could use work to sit a little better -- especially with the fuzzed up guitar prominent in most of the song(which I like by the way).

Back