Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Critique my mix!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Critique my mix!

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi there,

    I'd like some feedback on this indie/rock track I made. All comments are greatly appreciated, thanks!



    Gear Used:

    Guitars and Bass - POD HD

    Drums - Superior Drummer

    DAW - Cubase 5

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Bump

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Northern Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    5,374
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 502 Times in 487 Posts
    Rep Power
    19381610
    Overall it wasn't bad. However overall it had kind of a sterile sound. Things need a little warmth.

    Drum programming was kind of cool. However, it was a real busy part and it got distracting after a while. And I'd pull the cymbals in a bit. They're pretty wide.

    I didn't care for the fuzzy synth at the beginning. Too much distortion and high-midrange bite.

    I like the rhythm guitars that came in around 3:17.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleM View Post
    Overall it wasn't bad. However overall it had kind of a sterile sound. Things need a little warmth.

    Drum programming was kind of cool. However, it was a real busy part and it got distracting after a while. And I'd pull the cymbals in a bit. They're pretty wide.

    I didn't care for the fuzzy synth at the beginning. Too much distortion and high-midrange bite.

    I like the rhythm guitars that came in around 3:17.
    Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. I'll make those changes and see how it sounds.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    6,635
    Thanks
    291
    Thanked 464 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    12977803
    I like the drums, but like TM said, you could find some places to have less, like a good place would be around 1:31-1:41, around 2:10 some variation on the kick would give some more personality.

    Overall, the mix isn't bad. Just a couple of production changes could really give a little extra.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowell Street Studio, New England
    Posts
    12,159
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 571 Times in 543 Posts
    Rep Power
    18632360
    The guitar on the right side that is doing one note that starts around 2:00 is harsh to me, probably a combination of tone and repetition.
    Are instrumentals allowed as 'indie'?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    3,954
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 315 Times in 295 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474858
    It dosent have much low end. The bass guitar and kick need more lows eq'd in. That would give it a lot more punch IMO
    Last edited by jimistone; 06-20-2015 at 08:32.
    I was country before they took the O out.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, United States
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Yeah make you're low end bigger, and make the drums part simpler, maybe play with the drums velocity a bit to create a more realistic sound.
    Overall, a good singer might help a lot, if you are planning on an instrumental you need to have some kind of a lead instument to lead the track.
    Oh and ust so you know that mixing with vocals is much harder than mixing instrumentals
    Music Producer & Mix Engineer - Los Angeles
    http://www.razklinghoffer.com/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    I like the drums, but like TM said, you could find some places to have less, like a good place would be around 1:31-1:41, around 2:10 some variation on the kick would give some more personality.

    Overall, the mix isn't bad. Just a couple of production changes could really give a little extra.
    Thanks for the feedback. It's difficult because I know the drums sound a little programmed, so to compensate I have tried to make them more interesting with more variation, quantizing them so they are not all stuck on the grid exactly on the lines (in the Cubase drum editor) and messing with the velocities a bit. I will simplify them more though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    The guitar on the right side that is doing one note that starts around 2:00 is harsh to me, probably a combination of tone and repetition.
    Are instrumentals allowed as 'indie'?
    I think you're right about the guitar there. I have turned it down on that section and I think that might have solved that problem. Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. critique!
    By Kerfoot32 in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 11:56
  2. Critique please
    By raven46 in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 08:50
  3. Critique Please
    By Ko17 in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 20:05
  4. Critique me
    By peopleperson in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 08:05
  5. Need a Critique please
    By mr. torture in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 13:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •