Critique a Death Metal mix?

For this style of music the drums have to be WAY more aggressive and in your face. There just a little anemic. Guitar sound isn't bad. The handling noise from the guitar in the stops needs to go. You have pretty good chops on the guitar.

Thanks Rat

Hey man,

I appreciate your feedback Rat! (b) I thought I had attatched the mp3 to my post sorry guys. Anyway, can you tell if I'm doing something wrong with my guitar micing? I think I am having a phase or polarity issue. And the noise comes from playing in front of the computer monitor. I try to cut it out if I catch it. But I am having trouble getting a beefy rythm guitar track. Am I recording stereo tracks and they should be mono? Am I using poor room accoustics? http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80827
Or what can you tell me about why Im unhappy with my rythm guitar track. I know also the drums are too compressed. But when I remove the compression, I can't hear the kickdrum through the guitar onslaught. I guess vocals and bass are all I'm truely happy with there. Or am I approaching this all wrong. :'(

Jay

Im tracking through beta sm57, set of stageworks drum mics, behringer eurorack mx 1604a, tape out(RCA) to Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum, and using Nuendo 1.6 for VST. Mixing down to stereo interleave file 24 bit ( I think :s) and importing to cool edit pro 2.0 to apply Izotope Ozone Plugin to mixdown. Currently Ive been messing with the bass drum mic on the edge of one 12 of my 2X12 and using the beta 57 at 90 degrees in the center of the other according to the microphone thread on this BBS.

Welcome to the Pit-That main riff is stolen from a Flotsam and Jestam song!"The Master Sleeps" off of the Album 'When the storm comes down'.There is no balls here.Drums are real poor in both songs.Not the programming(a little boring sometimes)but the over sound quality,there a re a ton of free sounds and samples on the net,I suggest you look(Google).Better in this one and there is no presence in the guitars even on headphones.Tell the vocalist to ditch that stereo delay and don't let him do the mixing(Ego coming thru).Guitar playing good!Vox great(except for the effect)and music style is right for me.Not crazy about the name ...but ...what's in a name?The leads should be as loud as the vocals.Mix the music first making sure it's at the optimum level w/out clipping and then blend the vocals and leads.I saw monitors in the pics at the site so I can't explain the weak recording.Don't you watch your output meter?Is it in the red?or 10 feet below it?
Captivity-The acoustic guitar sound good here.The rest is weak.Scrap that drum mod ,it sucks.:( Same ball-less recording as the above mentioned song.IMO the vox is the best element here,the guitar playing is cool and I read you have a real drummer now.Good luck.Looking forward to more posts ,not enough metal around here.

hi there. glad to see there is another metal head here.i thought i recognized the guitars in that song to but you know what they said my most recent song sounds kinda like symphony of destruction so i dont know.( nothing intentional of course, even though i always liked megadeth lol) anyway i pretty much echo alot of the comments on the mix.one thing to make real sure of is that your meters are wright up there just edging into the red. this realy gives you a strong signal which you realy beed for this style of music.if your not gonna record your drums from a live drummer in my opinion the only way to go is midi and then use a sounfont to replace the cheesy midi sounds, with midi you have total control on velocity and the better you get at programming them the more real they will sound. im not a drummer either and i do have a hard time prgramming drums but it gets easier each time i do it. if you have any specific questions on midi drums email me by clicking on my email tab under my post and ill be more than happy to tell you what i know.i will at least give you a c+ for effort here and like i said it gets easier each time you do it,(in my honest opinon metal is very hard to mix and get a good sound).
if your realy looking for that fat guitar sound heres what you do.(record a guitar track with the meters pushing barely into the red and pan it 65% left then arm another track and record the same thing again and when this is done pan it 65% right. this will realy fatten the sound up. some people clone the track and move it just a smidget outta sync and get decent results like that. i like to record it twice seems to have the best results for me. anyway good to see anoter metal head and youll get lots of help here. good luck and god bless. tim pate

W.I.S.C. said:
Welcome to the Pit-That main riff is stolen from a Flotsam and Jestam song!"The Master Sleeps" off of the Album 'When the storm comes down'.

Beautiful! You guys are the first to hear my guitar riff jack! :P I wondered where I had heard it before for a while as well. Then while listening to that old tape I said hey!! Anyway Thanks for the feedback. I am going to re record one tonight and Ill post again for a second try at the mix.

Thanks again!

I listened to Welcome...

I really liked the rhythm guitar playing. Real cool. The stereo effect is sounding great. The noise sounds to me like it's coming from the amp. But the tone of it is cool I thought.

The vocals are rather washed out in the delay. I'd scale that back a bit. A bit tough to hear. It's weird, but for the first 35 seconds or so, I couldn't make out anything. After that, I could at least hear what was being sung. Can't figure out why.

Anyway, props on the guitar playing - I liked it.

Trip...

I AM AT WORK

i AM SOLOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING THIS...CAN'T WAIT...THE HEAVIER THE BETTER. LET YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK LATER. METAL METAL METAL

Welcome to the Pit - I agree that the drum sounds are a problem.. the vocals were a bit too upfront.. decent guitar sound and good playing, but it sounds like you are out of tune in some spots, or maybe it's just some performance issues..

Captivity - I like this one better.. good vocals, but again the drums are weak.. the vocals get too loud in spots.. The solo is buried.. did you put reverb or delay on the whole mix? It sounds like it's not set right..

not bad overall.. keep the metal coming!

I like the artwork over there at the site. :) Most everything is covered above already. Your closer than you think! :)

Back