Critique Away!!!

Showdown

I'm still very frustrated with the boundaries of Cakewalk. I was raised and schooled an analog man, so my frustrations might be valid...

Written and recorded/mixed within an 8 hour day; the writing process taking about as much time as the recording process (you do the math). Guitar sounds clean enough, although the vocals are muddy as hell. Sure, there are timing issues and EQ problems... I'm equally frustrated with the freebie-compressor software that I'm using. Each mixdown session presented a whole new set of problems, my computer refuses to mix to an MP3 or Wave file that sounds like the original mix. Blah!!!

I'm beginning to understand the utter cruelty of recording your own stuff. Engineers are perfectionists; I'd rather sit in a booth and have someone else sort through my timing/pitch/tonality issues.

Meant as an experiment (as was the older song on this website). Don't be scared to rip me a new one: including songwriting techniques. I need some help!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/

Search: showdown (artist)/discography/Singles/'Season'

Last edited:
OK, finally got it to upload. I don't know why it ended up being such a large file. Need help there I guess...

Last edited:
Very nice acoustic recording work there. Good playing too.

Love the way the vocals are done!

The whole song is very "70's rock acoustic." Nice!

No complaints about the mix at all 'cept maybe not such a fast fade-out at the very end. Let the guitar ring just a bit longer.

Great song.

Wow Showdown--- This is an awesome song!! It really has a mix of great sounds--- At times the vocals sound very candlebox and that is a great thing--- then it turns very groovy and 70's-- I am truly impressed with this piece! The guitar playin is beautiful!!

I cant give you any mix suggestions-- as I do not mess with that.

But damn that was good!

Nice rich acoustic guitar sound. Nice playing. Nice singing. Cool ambience - kind of a "sinister" sound and feel.

In the intro the two different reverbs on the guitars made them sound strange.

The guitar is covering the vocals a little. Some EQ cuts in the guits I think are needed. Probably a little boost on the vox.

Some tempo issues from :35-:39 with the guits.

Back