critic badly needed rough mix.

flash2ace

ok guys this is a song im laying voxs and bass guitar to tommorow this is a rough mix.
just wanna know what you guys think and if theres to much bass in this mix or not enough of other things.
any help would be great. my singer is coming over tommorow for sure to add vox to this and greater works than these.
im sorry i havnt had much time lately to critic i have been so busy with my band and church. we are getting ready to go into a pro studio next month and this song is actually just for studio practice for the band. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks and god bless you all. tim pate, ill post the versions with vox as soon as there done. http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1751&alid=-1 he died for you

i do have a question, the drums i used in this song are midi and i used live synth pro for the fonts, but what i did after i recorded the midi to audio is i cloned the audio drum track and i panned one 85 percent right and one 85 percent left, does anyone else do this or do they just run one drum track wright down the middle. i think i panned the left guitar 65 and the right 65 but not sure. i would like to get a firm hand on this panning thing and get it wright once and for all. any help would be great thanks and god bless tim pate.

ACE!!!!!!!!!! I have no mixing skill's and i'm listening on computer speakers, so i just wanted to drop a line!!! one thing though......
.....the git's sound a little to low?? lacking in some high and mid's, take that with a gallon af salt!!!!!!:D i can't crank my speakers to much, because they are just RUMBLING!!!! ( thats the only reason i got that impression):rolleyes: :confused:

Anyway...........3rd listen, man, this is right up my alley!!!!!! the main git riff sound's alot like megadeth's "symphony of destruction". I'm diggin the drum's!!!!! i think they sound great!!(again, comp speakers) the git's are eating the kick alive! sound's great when soloed at the end, lost in the mix, though.

GREAT HEAVY STUFF!!!!!! can't wait to hear a finished version!!!

Thank's, ace!!!

Peace

Rick

The big guns should roll in before long and tell what you got there. In the meatime I`ll offer a humble opinion. I think by running a copy of the drum track and setting the pans left85/right85 you may have recreated most of what you had to start with, the drums in the center, although you just made them a little wider and not as punchy in the middle. I use midi for drums too, except I put them in the center, feed the signal hard to LiveSynthPro so its really hot, then I add stereo predelay to them to make them spread across to the edges. The sound, both lofi and hifi to me sounds like you compressed the heck out it on the rythymn guitar and drums, while keeping a hard limit on them as well. It seems they can`t breathe cause something has them by the throat. The playing is very good.

thanks fender thats what im looking for so i can get this straight by tommorow. my biggest problem im still having is getting the guitars seperated from the kick. it just seems to muddy it up even though i gott them panned away from eachother. the only thing i can think of is its a frequency thing or somthing. please if anyone can help with this please do. i appreciate your time and i realy want this to have a good end result and be kicking hard. thanks.

Toki987 said:
The big guns should roll in before long and tell what you got there. In the meatime I`ll offer a humble opinion. I think by running a copy of the drum track and setting the pans left85/right85 you may have recreated most of what you had to start with, the drums in the center, although you just made them a little wider and not as punchy in the middle. I use midi for drums too, except I put them in the center, feed the signal hard to LiveSynthPro so its really hot, then I add stereo predelay to them to make them spread across to the edges. The sound, both lofi and hifi to me sounds like you compressed the heck out it on the rythymn guitar and drums, while keeping a hard limit on them as well. It seems they can`t breathe cause something has them by the throat. The playing is very good.

Hey flash, you and toki posted at the same time, so i think you haven't seen this yet. sound's like some solid advice!!!

I know you would have have gotten around to seeing it, but you could be mixing at this very moment!!!!!:D and could apply this.

your friendly neighborhood spiderman:D

and BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

again i would like to thank you guys for responding to this. it realy means alot to me. when you say predelay toki what exactly do you use,(sonar,or somthing similar). and what plugin do you use. it sounds good whatever you mean.(sorry for the greenhorn question but i dont know the difference between predelay and delay). ive always said the only stupid question is the question you dont ask and hey thats how we all learn.
this truly is a great site with alot of great people that realy know there stuff. i see what you mean by the compresion sound although i assure you i didnt add any compresion but i did add bbe sonic maximizer when i mixed down. im not sure if that is what your hearing or not? ill try and take that off and see what happens. thanks for the bump fender, by the way i realy liked that song b.sabbath did of yours. god bless tim pate

:cool:

:cool: Cool Riff, Tim! Just one question... would ya light a candle and put it under a basket? Get the basket off dat Rythmn Geetar and let it shine, dude! ;)

Blessings to ya!!!

CR ><>

There's a lotta low end on that guitar. It might be too much when you add the bass. Dude! you're gonna play this song in church? Cool! Can't wait to hear the choir!:D

Twist

flash2ace said:

when you say predelay toki what exactly do you use,(sonar,or somthing similar). and what plugin do you use. it sounds good whatever you mean.(sorry for the greenhorn question but i dont know the difference between predelay and delay). ive always said the only stupid question is the question you dont ask and hey thats how we all learn.

believe me, I have asked some questions that probably made some of these folks cringe and go into spasms. :)

In Sonar, using cakewalks fxreverb I set the room size as small as possible, the delay as close to 0 as I can. leave the rolloffs up, then there is a setting called pre-delay. I believe whatever you have the delay setting at, it reintroduces the signal again at times between 0 and where you have the delay set. THe result is a fattening of the original tone without making it appear to have a longer evelope. It seems that a tiny amount of delay with predelay added gets me closer to the drum sound I want. It may merit playing around with.

hi all, to start off i am uploading a new mix as im typing this. i put one drum track down the middle and took tokis advice and man did it clean up everything. i took the bbe sonic maximizer off and that helped alot to. axe i blew the candle out just for you brother, now the guitars scream like crazy. and yes twist we play this song and many others in our church and alot of other churches. our church is 100 percent behind us because they know we are doing the lords work, they bought us our pa gear and alot of other things. and they are our buiggest fans. toki the delay thing is pure genuis and it realy helped alot. i realy appreciate the info on using one drum track because it realy made all the difference in the world, the drums and the guitars are no longer stepping on eachother and that realy helps alot. like i said earlier my singer and bass player will be over tommorow to lay tracks on this and my other one, weve gott a very gifted female singer and she has a great voice so ill definately post when it is done.we will be hitting a real studio next month to track our first albumn. my goal with the home studio is just to get good demo quality recordings where the instruments are nice and clean sounding and arnt stepping on eachother all over the mix. thanks for the help friends. and god bless you all tim pate

OK GUYS I GOTT THE NEW MIX UP(phew 45 minutes to upload lol).
i hate dial up but i dont like to pay the price for broadband so there ya have it lol. anyway i can tell a huge difference with the drums done this way it cleaned the whole thing up or so it seems. anyway thanks guys see ya god bless tim pate.

hey flash, good tune, but I'm hearing some mix problems.. I don't hear much room for bass in the beginning.. When the song starts, it almost sounds like there is bass because of all the low end on the guitars.. it opens up a bit after the opening lead though.. the sound of the rhythm is almost too crunchy, or not cabinet emulated enough... Not sure what processor your using, but I would back off the gain a little bit.. I know that sounds crazy, but the rhythm is a bit direct sounding.. also, the kick could use some brightening (e.q.).. It sounds good when no music is going, but seems to get a bit lost when things are loud.. Nice playing and riffage.. I'll be looking for the vocal version..

I heard somewhere that you needed a bad critic. Well, I'm just awful...lol.

Okay man, you know this isn't what I'm used to mixing, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. It's not a bad mix at all right now, but I think you have to roll off some of the lows from those guitars. Now, since vox are gonna' be added, that could change everything, lol...but it sounds like you're getting the guitars up in the mix by using the volume knob alone. You can increase the "apparent" volume of the guitars by cutting everything on them below 100Hz...at least, it works with acoustics, lol. The bass and kick will have plenty of low end to fill in that hole. Anyway, if you make a pretty big cut on the very low end of the guitars, I bet you can actually turn them down on the levels if you want, but in any case, they should SEEM louder.

The levels seem okay to me, btw.

The good news is that you've got a big wide space in the middle (EQ-wise) for some vocals to sit nicely. It's really hard to be very accurate about how a mix will sound until all the stuff's in it, but I think you've got a good starting point once you take some of the low end out of the guitars.

Oh, I agree with the Megadeth tone thing...If I were you, I'd play something like "Symphony Of Destructioni" on the same system you're listening to your mix on and make them sound similar. It's even better if you can find an old EQ with level meters on it so you can actually SEE the similarities and differences as well as hear them. I'm gonna' download some Mustaine now and see if I can make any comparisons.

Following an illegal Kazaa download

Yup, ... you need to cut some low end. I A/B'd it with "Symphony," and the low end on the Megadeth tune looks just like it does on most commercial mixes. There's a peak in the low end around 63Hz, and then a very steep dropoff below that. It's almost like they just cut everything starting at 50Hz.

The good news is, that megadeth mix had the same "smiley face" eq that your tune has (i.e., hyped in the lows and the highs, with the mids coming in mostly with the vocals and the lead.

Something to keep in mind maybe, if/when you cut the lows on the guitars, you might wanna' listen to the snare and make sure it doesn't seem too loud, b/c I bet that it'll be relatively louder after the cut. Hopefully, cutting the lows on the guitars will give the kick a little more definition too.

Rock on,
Chris

Much better Tim but got to agree with everyone bout the Gits, Man. The freakin Rythymn is still smothered in lows.

Keep at it!!! ;)

CR ><>

Back to the small guns :D:D

I actually like the overall sound. The big thing I noticed is that the drums are pretty dry and a little dark sounding to me. Keep in mind I'm listening on computer speakers. Plus some of the tom panning may be a little excessive?

Your gonna need a shoe horn to fit the vocals in there. The sound is so big already :D

I'll be interested in hearing the final product.

Cool Riffs

Hey Cool riffs, i really think this would benefit from a bass role off, and a cut on the gain as B. Sabbath said. Too much gain makes for a tinny sound. I can totally see a Megadeth influence here. I wanna hear the vox and bass in there. Keep pluggin away and it will take shape.

Back