Crazy From the Sunshine

Wowsers!

I liked the mix. the sound on the snare is great; the vocals are just too good; awesome job recording the bass; freakin' fun tunage! But did I hear some clipping during the chorus on the crash overheads? As pro as this sounds, I must be wrong!

This one goes to my iPod...

Supercreep...You guys are awesome. You don't put up your creations often enough, but they're always worth the wait. Man...I'd say the mix and production are top notch, this is as good as it gets, I can hear the time you put into the details. I'm sure there are things you aren't sure about, but that's probably because you're never happy.

Arrangement wise, I'll tell you what happened here. Me and my girlfriend are here. I just clicked your link and didn't tell her what I was listening to, so she just thought I was playing a CD or whatever...We both had the same reaction to the song. We were floored...But with about 30 seconds left, I was about to say it and she said it first..."it's getting a bit repetitive"...It then faded out. So I think we both thought that it canuse a stronger ending. But that's about it.Great stuff again.

Oh, this is crafty!! Sorta Beatles, sorta Tears For Fears, sorta a lot of things, but ultimately VERY original and fun!! Bombastic, brash, yet clinically tight and polished.

Just a gallon or two of fun, gents!!!! I didn't mind the repetition at the end. Just a McCartney touch, ya know? :)

Hey, the mix sounds excellent, love it.
You guys are really cool, you sound back in time... which IMO is awesome.
That lead guitar tone at 0:53 is great.
Are you the singer Supercreep? Nice work.
I love the psychedelic wah wah effect or something in the background as the song closes out... rocks!
Tamberine is a good addition too.
I usually try to help anybody out with suggestions, but got nothing on this one, sorry, just that it's great stuff ;)

Geez!!!!! Another nice one. Excellent harmonies. Vocal layers are great. Very smooth. Overall song is awesome. Very clean sounding. Just a great overall tune. Keep em coming, please.....

Thanks everyone!! Very much!!!

You guys are all at least a little forgiving!!

This was our first original song we recorded after we set up our 'for real' home recording room. Over a year ago now, methinks. The excitement and fun of just getting going with this stuff on our own crept into this tune a bit. But it's a bit hard for me to listen to anymore as I was a very rusty guitar player at the time and now it sounds pretty sloppy to me here and there. I still love it though; Supercreep did a great job writing this. The only part that's mine, really, is the bass part--not enough to earn a song-writing credit I think. I'm just happy to have worked on it.

I hear you, Rami, about the end/fade. There's actually a good 20-30 seconds more of 'usable' music we could fade out on, but it is a bit much. We just wanted to keep the little bass & drums thing that happens at the very, very end because we just love little bass & drums things so much!!!!!!

Thanks again for lending your ears, folks!!

I'm hearing new things each time I listen. This song reminds me of why it's so worth it focus on the details when working on a piece or listening to one.

For instance during the first few seconds, the growly bass helps to sense, in a tactile way, the subject of the song before it’s explained. At :50 there's a triplet wa-wa effect that launches the new guitar line of the coming phrase. At 1:37 there's a lyric hand-off between the main and BG vox that's a little similar in its technique - parts passing the foreground attention to one another. Very good arranging IMO the way the parts interrelate so strongly.

Tim

Incanus said:
I hear you, Rami, about the end/fade.

It actually fades out right when it should, in my opinion. Just as I thought it should...it did! :D

Incanus said:
The only part that's mine, really, is the bass part--not enough to earn a song-writing credit I think.
If someone else just stood in the same room as me, they would get songwriting credit..... :eek:

(just means, I would love to have someone else to work with....) :(

This song is Steve's as much as mine. Steve dosen't give himself enough credit; it couldn't have been done without him, and most of the parts were written with him specifically in mind. Plus, listen to the bass line. Mine was just the initial thought - it was through jamming this song out with Steve that the whole song took shape.

I agree that the end is a bit long. I tried to liven it up by switching up the vocal content and adding a little call-response and bass and drum communication. I'd rerecord it differently, but I don't think it warrants a rerecord.

I think the guitars turned out pretty well. The whole middle section was a happy suprise as it didn't take shape until we were in the middle of it.

Thanks everybody for the feedback and positivity. I appreciate it.

Tim--thanks. You really have a very unique perspective; such a deep understanding and knowledge of music. Half the things we decide upon are things that just feel right, or seem to work, or sound okay. We don't even always know ourselves why or how it works. Like the Beatles, neither of us read or write sheet music (I can sort of plod my way through some of it. . . sort of).

Rami--I see what you mean now. I think I slighly misinterpreted what you first said, despite your saying correctly then. Duh!! Thanks, man.

Dog, Creep--alright, alright. I was a little helpful--the second most important contributer to this song. On the other hand, the song we're working on now started with an idea of mine. And despite his putting all kinds of work and ideas into it, and the forthcoming lyrics, Creep will likely always consider it as being mine.

True--You're wonderful; can't image HR without you.

Incanus, you are too kind.

And too HUMBLE!!!

Casey is right. You are incredibly talented. The two of you have a great chemistry togather, and that makes your music even more special.

Alone you would each be great, but togather you are stupendous!! :D

good song :D

the only thing i'd say off hand is maybe EQ a little of the tonk out of the snare and maybe boost a little highs. something like that, to make it sit better?
maybe it just needs a touch more verb, it's clopping (gate closing hard??????)

the rest is golden.

Bumpity Bump...This tune is too awesome to end up on page 2 already...OK, everyone stop posting new threads for a day!!!!

Shit man, listening to this again...I love the walking bass at the beginning, you don't really know what kind of tune it is, intil "You're Alright..."...The counterpoint back vocals, etc...Like Tim said, there is so much attention paid to detail...THIS is what seperates a good song from a GREAT song. This song is like watching the Simpson's. You're forced to pay attention because there's something interesting to catch every second.

Hey Incanus, how is that Beatlish guitar sound done, the lead? Is that just a guit through a Leslie?
Great shit.

RAMI said:
Bumpity Bump...This tune is too awesome to end up on page 2 already...OK, everyone stop posting new threads for a day!!!!

Shit man, listening to this again...I love the walking bass at the beginning, you don't really know what kind of tune it is, intil "You're Alright..."...The counterpoint back vocals, etc...Like Tim said, there is so much attention paid to detail...THIS is what seperates a good song from a GREAT song. This song is like watching the Simpson's. You're forced to pay attention because there's something interesting to catch every second.

Hey Incanus, how is that Beatlish guitar sound done, the lead? Is that just a guit through a Leslie?
Great shit.

Hi, that was me. It's an SG, bridge pu, through a memory man (set on a deep chorus modulation with the speed moderately high) into a Deville 2x12, through an sm57.

Same rig with a leslie on What You Were Meant to Be, for comparison's sake.

Last edited:
Back