Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crashing - alternative pop/rock

Thanks

Crashing - alternative pop/rock

Sign in to disable this ad
    Well, my first mix on monitors is in the books. Thanks to you guys for helping me out along the way, hopefully there's good mixes to come! I think my first result is pretty well-balanced, but I would like to know what you all think. The monitors most apparent result, in my opinion, is the balance of the frequencies and instruments. That seemed a little easier with them, compared to headphones. Of course, I still have to worry about dialing in the right guitar sound, bass sound, and choosing appropriate, nice-fitting pieces from the drums. But just getting the mix up and balanced was pretty fun and not as bothersome this time around.

I actually wrote this last week when I got the monitors. I just wanted to get a new song going where I dialed in all the tones and everything through the speakers instead of headphones. Please let me know what you think of the mix overall.

If I had a voice to state, "my head's not
    thinking clearly now", along the way.
    Even if I had the choice, I know my mind
    can't please you all, the more you say...

Are you falling a thousand miles from me?
    I've been waiting, it's all that I can be.

If I could be without the sun inside
    my lonely heart, you'll never know.
    I can hear you scream out loud.
    Don't think (it's on me) I can't see (it's my fault)
    we're sinking in down below.

I can hear, I can hear you now, it's your
    whole world crashing down.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    I'm only on laptop speakers, but the mix sounds great on these.
    I'll try to get a listen on headphones later.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    I'm only on laptop speakers, but the mix sounds great on these.
    I'll try to get a listen on headphones later.
    Really? That's cool - and surprising.

Lol, I can see it now. You're gonna get monitors....aiiiiin't ya?
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andrushkiwt View Post
    Really? That's cool - and surprising.

Lol, I can see it now. You're gonna get monitors....aiiiiin't ya?
    Haha, no.
    I have no space, and if I did I'd still have to think long and hard -- afraid of going down the rabbit hole and tearing apart rooms.

Yeah it sounded great on the laptop. Probably tomorrow I will be back near my usual monitoring so I'll give it a listen then.

Thanks
    Sounded good. And I listened on an even lower fidelity system. ..... one speaker on a smartphone. Lol But, it was very close to similar material I heard on Spotify earlier.
    I'll listen on monitors later.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RFR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Sounded good. And I listened on an even lower fidelity system. ..... one speaker on a smartphone. Lol But, it was very close to similar material I heard on Spotify earlier.
    I'll listen on monitors later.
    Thank you, RFR. Being close to similar material is obviously the goal (to fit in well among the genre), so thanks for mentioning that part. Yes, please do let me know about monitors. thnx man

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Haha, no.
    I have no space, and if I did I'd still have to think long and hard -- afraid of going down the rabbit hole and tearing apart rooms.

Yeah it sounded great on the laptop. Probably tomorrow I will be back near my usual monitoring so I'll give it a listen then.
    It's mostly the low end that I'm having trouble hearing with them in an untreated room. Really, the mids and up are pretty clear. Much better than headphones, especially for blending instruments together and getting a level balance among everything. The bass I play around with until it sounds good in the car. But I think it's worth it, even with the room being not so good.

Oh, and they really don't take that much space. It's more tall than wide...so as long as you have vertical space, you'll be fine.

Thanks
    Ok had a good intensive listen on Ns10s, Eguator D5s, and KRK VXTs.

Overall pretty good.

Now what bugged me a bit is panning and drums.
    Drums sound really 'canned' and the snare isn't cutting through. Kick is a bit 'cardboard' sounding. ( for my taste anyways)
    Bass is not bad but could get a bit more definition,

On the panning it seems like there is a hole in the middle. Its lacking fullness. The wide panning of the cymbals is too much.

I think if the drum kit was 'center stage', the snare came up a bit, and the bass and kick were adressed, It would be much much better.

Guitars and vocals are killer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Ok had a good intensive listen on Ns10s, Eguator D5s, and KRK VXTs.

Overall pretty good.

Now what bugged me a bit is panning and drums.
    Drums sound really 'canned' and the snare isn't cutting through. Kick is a bit 'cardboard' sounding. ( for my taste anyways)
    Bass is not bad but could get a bit more definition,

On the panning it seems like there is a hole in the middle. Its lacking fullness. The wide panning of the cymbals is too much.

I think if the drum kit was 'center stage', the snare came up a bit, and the bass and kick were adressed, It would be much much better.

Guitars and vocals are killer.
    Someone else told me, in a PM, that the center was not complete. That the snare was coming in too much on the OH's...but I couldn't figure this out. The snare mics are C within Superior Drummer, and when I soloed the OH's, there wasn't much snare in them at all. If anything, the snare's crisp top end was abundant in the OH's, and I'm using a higher tuned reverb, so maybe the top end was coming through the sides on the OH reverb? I just don't know. It's all dead middle, as far as snare. I did have to turn it down because it was cranking the limiter. I couldn't hold it in place with compression, with 3-4dbGR, so I had to turn it down a bit until it only triggering the limiter 2-3db. I think the snare is too crispy and bright.

The cymbals, again, are default in SD. The OH stereo channel is L + R, and then I just replace cymbals as I like. All I can do to combat that is bring in the stereo OH's some, instead of 100 L+R. If a cymbal was recorded as being far L, and I choose that cymbal, I cannot move it to another position...it's stuck there and there only. Again, unless I bring in the entire OH stereo channel. But not sure that's a good idea since the entire OH channel has a lot of information, and I'd be squeezing it in. If it were as simple as bringing one cymbal in a bit, or placing it there to begin with, I would do it...unfortunately, it's not.

Thanks
    From memory, in SD you can control the amount of "bleed", too, so maybe check if the snare isn't bleeding too much into other mics to give an illusion of being off center.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nola For This Useful Post:

Thread Information