A cover without vocals: Mr. Big's "Green Tinted Sixties Mind"

Schwarzenyaeger

Formerly "Dog-In-Door"
I never found a vocalist for this track. But I do have the instruments.

Got you guys a download and a soundcloud link.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Updated version on Soundcloud - download version not up to date anymore. I removed all the compressors from the rhythm guitars and turned them down a bit. Added compression to the leads (intro and outro mainly). Added reverb to the kick.

Attachments

• GT60sM_6.mp3
    9 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi, personally, I think it's over-compressed. The guitar intro is very loud and fills up the entire dynamic range; when the other instruments start to come in, the guitar is pushed out a bit and the instruments sound flat (dynamically, not in pitch); when the drums and the groove kick in, it's a complete anti-climax because there's nothing left to give, volume-wise. I think the guitar intro itself needs some compression as there are slight weaknesses and variability in the note strengths, particularly in the high note-slide, but you should ease off on the rest somewhat. I'm not familiar with the song so I gave the original a listen on youtube. The groove and the drum sound on the original is very solid and smooth, typical of the genre, and there's a distinct dynamic "kick" compared to the intro. I think you should work on getting that groove and solidity right on your version, then sort out the intro volume so it has the same sort of volume contrast when the drums kick in.

I have no quibbles about the performance, it all sounds very well played. :thumbs up:

Hi, personally, I think it's over-compressed. The guitar intro is very loud and fills up the entire dynamic range; when the other instruments start to come in, the guitar is pushed out a bit and the instruments sound flat (dynamically, not in pitch); when the drums and the groove kick in, it's a complete anti-climax because there's nothing left to give, volume-wise. I think the guitar intro itself needs some compression as there are slight weaknesses and variability in the note strengths, particularly in the high note-slide, but you should ease off on the rest somewhat. I'm not familiar with the song so I gave the original a listen on youtube. The groove and the drum sound on the original is very solid and smooth, typical of the genre, and there's a distinct dynamic "kick" compared to the intro. I think you should work on getting that groove and solidity right on your version, then sort out the intro volume so it has the same sort of volume contrast when the drums kick in.

Hmmm. Well, I ain't gonna top this! :)

Sounds good, Schwarzenyeager. Turn down the little guitar solo at the very end a little. And what Bubba said.

Hmmm. Well, I ain't gonna top this! :)

Sounds good, Schwarzenyeager. Turn down the little guitar solo at the very end a little. And what Bubba said.

I didn't even see that I had automation going on there. Thanks!

Thank you for the listen.
About the drums (spoiler alert): they are programmed. So yes, there is not much "feel".
My version is also 5-8% slower than the original.
You've made me really aware of just how huge the kick reverb sounds in the original!

About the drums (spoiler alert): they are programmed. So yes, there is not much "feel".
My version is also 5-8% slower than the original.
You've made me really aware of just how huge the kick reverb sounds in the original!

I think programmed drums are perfect for this kind of stuff. :D

I think you'll see what I'm getting at when you look at the waveform of your Soundcloud. The whole song is the same level all the way through, when you might expect a bit of a valley at the beginning until the meaty drums and guitars kick in.

I liked the doubled distorted guitars. I think they're a little on the muddy side. Personal preference, but I would probably cut out a notch in the 300hz neighborhood.

Lead guitar sounded good. Good playing too.

The drums were OK. I thought the snare was a little on the heavy side. A little thuddy, not quite enough crack.

Bass sounded pretty good and was at a good level.

I liked the doubled distorted guitars. I think they're a little on the muddy side. Personal preference, but I would probably cut out a notch in the 300hz neighborhood.

Lead guitar sounded good. Good playing too.

The drums were OK. I thought the snare was a little on the heavy side. A little thuddy, not quite enough crack.

Bass sounded pretty good and was at a good level.

Thanks for listening. My friend will be glad to hear about the bass. He's very excited about his tones.

Just sing this yourself. I don't know the original song, but how hard could it be? I used to hate singing, now it's fun. And it gives you the chance to make a cover song your own, like when Whitney Houston sang the national anthem. Before she DIED!!!!

But in all seriousness, Whitney was a national treasure. Follow her example and belt out this Mr. Big tune, won't you.

Excellent playing. Love the Yes tone of the leads. The intro and out leads are a bit loud...Like the unexpected end. Sounds right. Never heard the original, is that how it's done?
Cool song.

You know what, I wouldn't even be able to tell you.

I think that they let the lead tone trail out in the original. I think that Paul Gilbert hits the same note but an octave lower.

Thank you for listening.

I'll be uploading an updated version tomorrow.

I listened to [some of] the original on youtube to understand these vocals you so fear. Two things struck me:

1) The singer's face is weird, like he's had plastic surgery or something. It ain't cool for a guy to get a facelift unless he's Jerry Jones, and it's only cool for him because when you're that rich and obnoxious everything you do is cool.

2) The singer has a unique voice and much vocal talent. Nobody you get is going to sound like him.

Either you or your bass-playing buddy oughta step up. None of my business, obviously, but sometimes good people need to get involved in things that they really want to stay out of. Like if you see a 250-lb linebacker slap his girlfriend at the mall. I mean, how's he going to wrap up on physical running backs if he's got a broken knuckle? Someone needs to stop that woman before he gets hurt!

I thought the reverb/fx on the lead lines was a bit extreme, but i guess that's the genre, and i agree they were too loud, especially at the end, which made that more noticeable. I also agree with the observation that the drums were lacking in dynamics.

Opinionated rant: Just have a crack at recording some vocals, my voice sounds a bit like a frog trapped inside a box of gravel, and it never stopped me from having a go. I've accepted that i'll never be a great singer, but that was never a burning desire to me. Plenty of my favourite vocalists are far from virtuoso. If it sounds abysmal, don't play it to anyone. Now that may come across as a bit heretical, appealing to mediocrity, and offensive to 'true artists', but i reckon i'm damned already, so what the hell :D

Hey schwar. What daw do you use? I'd love to give it a go at the vocals if you'd like? Let me know see if we work something out.

Back