Cover of Tyrant by Judas Priest

CrankyOne

This is my first time posting here. I made a Judas Priest cover of Tyrant. There are no vocals, since I don't have a proper mic for recording them, plus, I can't sing. The "vocals" are just the guitar mimicking the singing voice. It's not on the verses, but on everything else. I mixed this using headphones only! (maybe a bad idea, but my computer is in the same room as my brother's computer, and I don't have speakers. I was wondering, what do you think about the mix and all that.

Last edited:
Cranky,

I couldnt get it to play. I tried a few different ways. I'll try again but better check it out.

later.

Come on, guys (and gals). The link is now working. I edited that post. I'd be really interested in feedback, since this is my first mp3 I've posted here. I'd like to know what you think about it, especially sound- and mixing-wise.

CrankyOne said:
Come on, guys (and gals). The link is now working. I edited that post. I'd be really interested in feedback, since this is my first mp3 I've posted here. I'd like to know what you think about it, especially sound- and mixing-wise.

I just tried the link and it didn't work for me...(you can check the time of my post to see how current the link failure is)

two things that might help in getting responses are:

1>responding to other peoples posts, so they might offer comments in return...don't make it one sided;)

2>get a link that works:rolleyes:

Well, I DID comment on at least three different songs by different people yesterday. You may not have noticed, since I just registered here yesterday, so I'm new around here. I don't know who's the 'boss' around here or anything like that ;)

And I don't know about that link. It works for me every time I right-click it or left-click it. I just checked now, and it worked. I don't understand. It's weird. I don't know what to do about it. The link worked in two different band forums, so I don't know what the problem is here.

Oh well, maybe it just ain't my lucky day. I would have liked a few comments on it, because this forum seems to be more brutal in judging sound and mixing quality. I always want to know what to improve in my mixing. Well, thanks anyway. :)

And, just in case, here is the link again:

sorry....cranky...still not happening, and I would like to listen to your stuff. The link is taking me to a Geocities page that says it is unavailable...and the rest of the page (about 75%) is an advertisement. There is a space for a search, and filling in "cranky", didn't work either:( ..too many choices, of which none looked like where you wanted us to go.

Hmmmmm... What could be the problem. It worked for me again. Do any of you have any recommendations for a host, since this doesn't seem to work for everybody.

OK, I just hacked into your stuff and got a listen. Damn. I'm impressed! Did you do the drums? Hell of a programming job if you did. I didn't care for the kick sound but the overall drums were pretty damn good. Guitars had a good sound and mix. Like I said, I'm impressed.

Well, glad to see it worked. The drums are my own soundfont, which is combined from various sounds found on the internet. I usually try to make the drums sound like they are really played, so thanks for the compliments. The kick drum was maybe a little exaggerated (sp?), because I wanted it to have that heavy metal sound.

Guitars are recorded piece by piece. I don't really play that tightly. I could, but it would take me too long to record, and I'd just get bored. I don't have the patience, so I usually tend to make these piece by piece. It depends on the complexity of the song, really.

I basically plugged my guitar into Zoom505-II ($100 excuse of an effects-processor) and recorded directly into computer. Then I used Revalver with the guitar tracks. Mostly the amp-simulations and EQ's.

If its any help I just went to:

http://www.geocities.com/eldiho999/

and pressed return & then added "Cranky_Tyrant.mp3"
onto the end of the URL and it loaded up grand for me.

Any chance some of you guys would take a listen to the track "Albatross" that I made an attempt at on NWR:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/7/1360/singles.shtml

It's only my 2nd mp3 so I'd luv a bit of feedback on my mixing/playing/dynamics etc.

Cheers guys.

Ill take a listen to ur mp3 as soon as it loads up Crankyone, (sh1tty 56k connection!)

I liked that Albatross, though the panning was too much to the left. I wish I could record as cleanly as you. I have problems with acoustic guitar sounds, since I only have a 25$ acoustic guitar pickup mic. I've tried using electric guitar with some acoustic simulation effects, but it doesn't sound real.

Cranky One,

Maybe I'm computer challenged, but I STILL cant get to your song.

I just listened to "Sad Wings of Destiny" though. A truly great album.

peace.

Cranky,

FINALLY got it to play. The old right click save as. It sounded GREAT. You did it justice bro! Sounds REALLY good. Nice job with the guitars. Glen and K.K. would be proud. Are you going to add vocals? Nice recording.

peace.

I wish I could add vocals. I can't sing, nor have I the equipment for it. Any volunteers? I do have the song without the "guitar vocals" also. It's just that I have never mixed vocals into a song. I could upload the version without the "guitar vocals", if anybody of you care to take a try for it.

CrankyOne said:
I liked that Albatross, though the panning was too much to the left. I wish I could record as cleanly as you. I have problems with acoustic guitar sounds, since I only have a 25$ acoustic guitar pickup mic. I've tried using electric guitar with some acoustic simulation effects, but it doesn't sound real.

Ya I know about that panning prob but its down to my pc inputs, im trying to get it sorted but its not looking good.

Its an electric guitar btw

philby

CrankyOne said:
I wish I could add vocals. I can't sing, nor have I the equipment for it. Any volunteers? I do have the song without the "guitar vocals" also. It's just that I have never mixed vocals into a song. I could upload the version without the "guitar vocals", if anybody of you care to take a try for it.

Cranky,

I know someone who could sing this proper. It's not me, but if you go here www.mp3.com/samicide and scroll down to a song called "darkening skies" you can hear a song of mine that he sang. Its an older recording so try to look past the sound quality.
This guy can hit the "Halford" notes, though on this song he laid back a bit, but as it progresses you start to hear what hes capabale of. Just figured I'd throw that out there if your interested. If not, thats cool too. His voice is stronger now then it was when we recorded that and "Halford" is one of his favorite singers. If you make it through the whole song, towards the end, there is a very "Halfordish" vocal.

peace.

Last edited:
Well, that is actually more than I hoped for :) Pretty damn good if you ask me. The song was also really really good. Nice trippy sound and not too compressed. It sounded kinda refreshing and gloomy at the same time. I'd love to hear what that guy could do with Tyrant. Now, how would this work best? Should I post the song WITHOUT the "guitar vocals" somewhere? And what about the "vocal files"? Where to put them, etc. Let me know if he's interested.

Back