cover tune

secondtake

Hello all! this is a cover of Jimi Hendrix's purple haze...

I'm rather new to recording at home and I did it on my cheap, old, Fostex X-26 four track and mixed it into the digital orchestrator computer program. I did all the guitar and vocals, and some drums my wife did the bass and some drums on an Ensoniq SD-1 keyboard. I did the mixing. My wife and I current play weekends in clubs in the minnesota area.

you can get the mp3 file at:

http://www.driveway.com/web/share.j...ures&dwSession=vapp04-39119c39e9c7f00a&view=0

just click on the red arrow to start downloading the file.

Nice recording considering the medium! I record a Jimi cover band live and haven't been able to get the vocals that clear. Logistical problems with the sound guy. Your guitar licks do the job and the drums have the required thump. I have to say that the vocals don't quite cover the Jimi deal and the drums don't quite cover the Mitch Mitchell sound. But imagining your band playing in the venues that my friend's band plays- it'd work.

drstawl, Thanks

I'm a firm believer that if you can get a real good sounding recording with (for lack of a better word) crap. When you get on the good stuff it will be that much better.

As far as the vocals go I wasn't really intending them to sound (just as hendrix did). I'm rather shocked that you think the vocals are clear. In my opinion, they are the weakest part of the mix. I'm not really a singer (per se) and although I've worked with plenty of great vocalists I didn't pay much attention to them golden throats when we did studio work. he he

Thanks for listening!!!

Back