Cover of James Taylor's Fire and Rain

GoblinInventor

Any thoughts? If soundcloud is finicky for people I have uploaded the file itself as well.

Gob

Attachments

• FireAndRainFixed.mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
overall nicely done.....vocal range is there - bit heavy with the verb - I would back off. The vocal level could come down a bit and I wold like to hear a little more high end on the guitar....

mcmd

Definitely agree on the reverb, I unfortunately haven't updated that yet, should be up tonight, will reply when fixed. As to the levels, I'll definitely look into that, I wasn't quite satisified with them upon listening to the recording again, so I'll fool around with them a bit

Thanks!
Gob

yep, reverb is too long on the vocals and there's too much LF in the tail. It sounds very out of place compared to the guitar, which sounds completely dry. Perhaps just trim off the first 6 seconds of silence too

I will focus my comments on the vocal, since that seems to be the point of the exercise. Any chance of getting a real backing track? This one sounds a little....nintendo.
Its definitely heavy on the reverb. I like to think of reverb as giving a sense of space. If you think about what happens when you walk into space, you should get a better idea. You don't necessarily hear the reverb trails unless you are in a very very large reverberant space, but you can get a sense of how large the room is. Therefore, my rule of thumb is that if you can consciously hear the reverb, its too much. If its just adding a little space to the sound, then thats about right.

Also, are you familiar with comping a vocal? You have a good tone to your voice in places, but the track is pitchy, so I would suggest comping a couple takes together. If you aren't familiar with that technique, it has been covered here and elsewhere extensively.

Quite a good ear you have for nintendo sounds! It is a Virtual Instrument unfortunately. I will look up comping a vocal, half the trouble is not knowing what to look up. Many thanks! I'll try and put up a new less-reverb-version soon

Back