Cover of "If You Want Me" from the film "Once"

schismatic

Hey guys,

Recorded another tune tonight, it's a cover a song called "If You Want Me" from the film Once which was realised last year. Please critique the mix, what you like, what you don't!

The song can be found at my soundclick:

http://www.soundclick.com/tommysounds

Thanks to all who give the time and effort to comment.

I like the song, vocals sound very good! Not too thrilled with the guitar sound though, seems metallic and thin. But I think your voice is truly great!

I was thinking, I would enjoy laying down the main guitar on that mix for you if you send me the audio file and the chord arrangement. I would use a Taylor 914 guitar and Gefell M300 mics with the avalon ad2022 preamp. It would be interesting to hear the difference.

Saw that movie last week.. Excellent stuff.

I agree on the comment above, great vocal but the acoustic is a bit brittle.

I don't mind the acoustic - I think a tweak on the bass knob might not hurt. I think you're getting a lot of pick noise which adds to the tone they're complaining about.

The playing and singing is super too....you have a very good voice...:cool:

There's a noticeable amount of reverb on the guitar at the beginning of the song. It sort of blends with the vocals when they get going. I would maybe try a bit less next time - just my taste....and I'm a reverb junkie! :eek::D

I'd like to hear Rick put down a guitar track. It would be an cool version with his playing style. Maybe you could mix all the guitar tracks together to get a cool combined effort....

:D:):D:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the great comments guys, you've really surprised me about the voice thing! I've had a listen to the mix on headphones and computer speakers since I did the mix and I agree that there is too much of that high end pick stuff, i think it's probably about 5 - 7 kHz, maybe even a little higher. The reverb I could possibly ride until the vocals come in, it's been done as a send anyway. On re-listening, the guitar solo could do with some tidying up too.........it was done totally off the cuff anyway so I was trying to think on my feet a bit there!

Once again many thanks for your kind comments :D

by the way thought i'd mention that the collab effort could be really really cool! i'd certainly be up for doing that! what you reckon rick?

Back