Cover: House of the Rising Sun

Yonce N Mild

Voice of Sanity
I said I was going to post a cover so here it is. House of the Rising Sun recorded at practice last week.

http://www.myspace.com/sanitysolution

I recorded this with 2 modded MXL 990s as room mics and the bass and vocals direct. The majority of the sound in this mix is coming from the room mics.

The week before we had the hung them from the ceiling but they picked up way too much ride and crash. This time we mounted the on a mic stand in a stereo pair right in the middle of the room. I'm going to play a little more with placement this week.

I'm just doing this so we can have some tracks to pratice to at home and so I can learn a little about mic placement and about how the jam room sounds.

Anybody have any suggestions for recording Vocals, Drums 2 guitars and a bass with 4 inputs?

I have the 990s available 2 modded MXL 603s a SM57 and I use a Beta58a for vocals. I also have some crappy dynamics lying around and the kick drum is triggered to a DM5 so I could record the kick direct or even just record the kick drum as MIDI and then overdub it. I could also trigger the snare if need be.

Just looking for new things to try.

Anyway hope you enjoy the song.....we had a blast playing it.:cool:

I said I was going to post a cover so here it is. House of the Rising Sun recorded at practice last week.

http://www.myspace.com/sanitysolution

I have the 990s available 2 modded MXL 603s a SM57 and I use a Beta58a for vocals. I also have some crappy dynamics lying around and the kick drum is triggered to a DM5 so I could record the kick direct or even just record the kick drum as MIDI and then overdub it. I could also trigger the snare if need be.

Just looking for new things to try.

Anyway hope you enjoy the song.....we had a blast playing it.:cool:

All of this talk about equipment, but no focus on the mix means that you're not using any of your stuff to it's full potential. This could have been recorded using a stereo mic to a minidisc deck, except that you'd probably be able to hear the vocals more. Don't worry about fancy triggers or modded mics. Try to get the sound into the box first. There are no vocals and the room sounds dead. Start there.

All of this talk about equipment, but no focus on the mix means that you're not using any of your stuff to it's full potential. This could have been recorded using a stereo mic to a minidisc deck, except that you'd probably be able to hear the vocals more. Don't worry about fancy triggers or modded mics. Try to get the sound into the box first. There are no vocals and the room sounds dead. Start there.

The point here is not to get studio quality recordings of our practice sessions but to practice recording as well as playing during band practice.
It actually sounds pretty good in the room especially for how small the room is. So I should be able to get a decent recording with a stereo pair. They key there is going to be mic placement. The computer in the jam room only has 4 available inputs (delta 44) so I'm working with that limitation as well.

The thing is I don't want to interrupt practice moving mics around all the time so it's just set it an forget it. Then I listen take notes and adjust accordingly next practice. On this one I think the room mics are picking up too much vocals, when I turn up the vocal track there are definitely some phase issues. So this week I moved the mics a bit and it seemed to help, the vocals are nice and clear..... but the kick drum is really loud. So I'll work on a way to minimize that next week.

My motivation for posting was that someone tried to tell us not to post covers......so I had to post a cover. We had fun with this one so I though I'd put it up. I figured if people are going to take a listen anyway maybe I could get some advice or tips for recording practice.

I'm just looking for new methods to experiment with so I can lean where the sweets spots in the room are and maybe get some ideas for when we actually do some serious recording.
I've already learned that I can get some nice guitar tracks from the stereo room mics that I'm using so when I track guitars next time I'll be using that room mic setup as well as the 57 on the grill.

We will probably track drums in that room but the rest will be done at my house in my studio where I have the appropriate acoustic treatment and monitoring system.

Back