Cover Challenge

oops. posted this in the wrong thread. here it is again:

holy twist! man, it takes some balls to cover that song. downloading presently......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................hey twist, you sing real good! i don't think i've heard you sing before. i like the harmonies. like the sax notes at 1:50 and 2:55. the breath on that sax patch sounds pretty realistic. i also like the tone on the electric in the end.

gotta be honest though, the drums aren't doing it for me.

damn that sax sounds pretty real though.

it's really cool to hear a different version of this song.

I really enhoyed listening to this. Only problem I had was with the tom rolls way off to the left.

Sounded great.

You need to enable download for "all users"....the hi fi stream wont work without doing that for some reason....just a little glitch I guess but that seems to be the only remedy to it.

I couldn't get the lofi to work either.
I had to download it,my favorite Erland tune!:D

Beautiful production Mike,the horns were a perfect touch,just great.
Vocals were sweet,nice harmonies.

Great job,you definitly took this fine tune up a notch!

I really enjoyed it,thanks,
Pete

listening now....

wow great vocals!!...man i did not expect that..;..im not a huge sax fan....but the "sound " of the sax is pretty nice...man he harmonies are perfect....i agree it took guts to cover this....kudos on that !..the drums to me should be a touch louder..but never EVER take any mixing advice from me...lmao...hey cool stop and start in there....nice!..

great job

jamal

[edit]....just so you know every "cover " deserves 5 stars ...if for nothing else than just having the "fortitude" to do one....

..well not that it wouldnt deserve 5 anyway....jeez that probably came out all wrong....*sigh*...

erichenryus said:
the breath on that sax patch sounds pretty realistic. i also like the tone on the electric in the end. damn that sax sounds pretty real though.

mmmmmmm, that is a real sax..

nice job twist.. this song sounds good like this.. the guitar solo isn't too loud imop.. maybe the sax is a hair at the end, but not much.. not crazy about the drums, but I never am.. I don't even like my own.. you did a good version man..

My challenges are obviously going to be late, but hopefully by the weekend I'll have 2 of them done.. I will bump your mother thread when I post them..

hrmm, kind of a ska meets dave matthews band vibe musically..

nice vocals..

i could actually hear DMB doing the song something like this.

Nice work man. Working on the computer is a true pain in the posterior when you start, but I think ultimately (once you get past the learning curve), it's much better AND easier and more predictable.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty decent mix. The vocals are great, and they'd better be, eh? You've got more guts than I do... Hell, I was nervous enough just PLAYING on an Erland tune, lol.

Two things I'd try:
1. more verb on the sax...it kinda' jumps out a little too much in some places...Sam mentioned the end, I was thinking at the beginning. (btw-that's amazing considering you say you don't really play. I tried to play one once, and everything just sounded like a fart).

2. Bring the drums up and cut some highs on the snare.

Okay, I felt compelled to TRY to get all "mixish" on this since that's what the clinic is for, but mostly, I just enjoyed it, LOL.

I loved the swirling stuff at the end...distorted guits, distorted organ-ish thing...very cool

one of my favorite erland tunes. good job. nice job adding the drums, bass, and sax. the guitars seemed pretty squashed at the beginning. maybe a little more jangle? anywho, sounded great overall.

My apologies to anyone who took the time but couldn't listen. Downloads are now enabled. Thanks for the heads-up Kramer.

Eric Henry, I'm gonna have to print your reply and frame it! It's a real sax - a patch would never sound that bad! Anyway, I don't have midi capabilities yet?
Apologies for the drum machine, but it's all I've got.

Doug, Thanks for the suggestion. I'll work on that.

Pete, Thanks for the listen. I have to give Erland the credit for the harmonies. The basic parts of the song were very easy thanks to a real natural talent in the composer.

Jamal, I value your comments as much as anyones. You don't have to be a pro to have a good ear, and I've heard your stuff.

Hey Sam, I can't wait to hear your covers. I've been off the board for three days straight working on this song, and I come back to find I'm three pages behind! I've got some listening to do. I'll try to catch up at work today and tomorrow. Please tell me what you didn't like about the drums if you've got a minute.

Wes, Thanks! I wouldn't know Ska if it bit me in the ass.

Thanks Chris, I'm gettin the hang of the software now after I managed to delete some critical wave files while trying to copy and paste sax parts. I guess that's what I get for cheatin! By the way, there were at least 100 wav files for all the punch-ins and retakes to get those sax parts m- the first ones sounded like farts. I'll try some more verb to cover my poor technique! Thanks for the tips.

JR, Thanks for the listen. I figured someone would mention that compression on the guitar. I actually like the sound! But it's good to hear some more objective opinions too!

twist said:

Eric Henry, I'm gonna have to print your reply and frame it! It's a real sax - a patch would never sound that bad! Anyway, I don't have midi capabilities yet?
Apologies for the drum machine, but it's all I've got.

that is really funny! i don't know why i thought it was a midisax but while i was listening i kept thinking, damn that's one convincing sax, how'd he do that? duh!

Now this is how Erland's tune should be done. All the ideas are perfect. The execution is almost there....so close. The sax seems a little loud, and the timing with the bass and drums seems a little weird...but not really wrong. I really like the parts you've come up with. It just kinda chugs along in a very peaceful manner (for chugging that is). This was great. I really liked it alot.

Thanks Mix! That's a huge compliment! Not being an accomplished sax player, my levels were all over the place. It was all I could do just to hit the right notes in 100 takes.
Do you think it would be worth it to normalize just the sax parts and remix them for more consistency on their levels?

Compliments aside, I'd love to hear anything ya'll would do differently. I can't change much about the drums without starting over. They were recorded first as audio.

Twist

this is really good!!!!! the vocal could use some edlay/reverb, and come up a bit more, but, this is awsome!!

AL

Nice work. I like the way it climaxes coming out of the C#m section. Smooth vox, cool break. Everything sounds sweet man. You definitely have a cool voice.

The only part I don't like is where the guit. hits the b7 in the solo. It causes a clash against the chord IMO. But that may be the sound your after. Keeping with the original flavor you start the solo in (centered over the C#m pent/ E major pent.) might sound smoother if you mess with it anymore.

All in all a big thumbs up. Good taste.

Joe

I loved this overall. There were some timing difficulties, certainly, but this really communicates the song really well. A special high five on the voice--your vocals sound great. You have the perfect voice for this song. Damn--I can't get the hook out of my head now! Ah, but its a good hook, isn't it?!

Makes me wonder if Erland is gonna be one of those writers who backs into fame due to the people who record his songs. They would eat this up in Europe--its got smash written all over it.

it sounds really good.....i'm not crazy about the drum sounds...but it seems like you're making do w/ what you have........i'd love to hear it w/ real drums.........

good song...good vocals.....good sax

twist said:
Thanks Mix! That's a huge compliment! Not being an accomplished sax player, my levels were all over the place. It was all I could do just to hit the right notes in 100 takes.
Do you think it would be worth it to normalize just the sax parts and remix them for more consistency on their levels?

no...I wouldn't normalize them. Not sure of how you are recording/mixing, but all the volume problems could be easily fixed on the computer in spot areas. ...or ride a fader. Maybe some light compression would level out the volumes too.

Enjoyed your vocals and harmonies on this a lot twist. Sax seemed a tad loud but I liked how you played it. Nice voice dude.

Back