Cover of Beatles "I am the Walrus"

glazingfool

This is not the final mix. Still have to add guitar. At the 1:59 to 2:02 part of song we cut and pasted the actual noise interlude from the real song. This stuff is fun.

glazingfool-

everything sounds pretty close from what i can remember. Im not really a giant Beatles fan but i do enjoy some of their stuff. I hope you don't find this offensive but the fake drums and stuff make it sound like your just singing over a Midi file. I really don't have any thing else to say or offer. Sounds pretty good for what it is.

Re: glazingfool-

Wireneck said:
....the fake drums and stuff make it sound like your just singing over a Midi file.
Funny - that's exactly what came to mind for me too....

Decent enough vocals, but I can't get into canned midi arrangements at all...

It's damn good, dude!

Right on! Performance is spot-on. Whether it's all-synth, MIDI, or keyed in live, track by track, a hell of a lot of "putting together" and production went into that song,... especially to make it sound so nearly perfect.

I also like live instruments more than synth instrumentation, but I'm not knocking you, that is a very impressive production! I can appreciate that you'd not have a whole orchestra and dozens of 'extras'.

You've made a real study of this Beatles-thing! That's a very fun song to play & hear produced from the home recording side of things!

What's next? Heck, bring 'em on!;)

Re: It's damn good, dude!

A Reel Person said:
Right on! Performance is spot-on. Whether it's all-synth, MIDI, or keyed in live, track by track, a hell of a lot of "putting together" and production went into that song,...
Except that I don't think HE did the production.... I think it is a midi file - karaoke style...!

A Reel Person thanks for the response. Yeah I wish it could all be live instruments! We used my old Mirage DSK from the eighties for the violins and the electric piano. Thanks for listening.

you stole the original master?

i can see what BB means, i switched between the original and your cover -bar per bar- and they're IDENTICAL (up to the cool slides on cello)

still think you did this yourself right? MIDI files are usualy not THAT accurate :)

sounds cvery cool btw, sticking to an original as close as possible but with different sounds or maybe changing the 'mood' of a song slightly is always interesting
some band made an album 10 or so years ago -can't remember the name- and what they did was take for instance i get around from the BB and translate it completely in to midi, imagine the two-tone solo played by an eighties synth !!!
do you know the moog cookbook, it's a guy who used to work for bob moog and does covers of pop songs with (only) moogs and other analogues, also sticking very close to the originals the results are stunning (and stunningly funny at times - check out their version of black hole sun)

but a tribute non the less

the lead vocals on your cover are awesome, the effect is a bit over the top --- ME LIKE!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments!

I am the co-producer (with Glazingfool) of this cover tune and want to clarify a few things.

First, thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen!

The intent of this post was to get feedback on what was done as an exercise to "ring-out" our HOME studio (wiring, equipment, etc.). Nonetheless, as previously stated, we appreciate all of the comments and we hope to provide a final mix for review.

Yes this was produced from a MIDI file as stated; however, a simple MIDI file.....NOT Hardly. Wetteke, you are right on...appreciate your insight. This is far from a simple karaoke type file/production (or lack there of) as BB has suggested. And to that end, I take exception with BB implications regarding the validity of the production. All parts were individually tracked (over 32 of them, including live performances & Synths). All vocals were tracked live, including all the underlying background voices.

The “Mix” is not complete and is really not much more than the tracking mix dumped directly out to a stereo file. No attempt to cover the imperfections in the mix is intended. We are just extremely confident in our ability to produce quality recordings in a home studio environment and wanted to become involved in this open forum.

Bottom Line: this effort was truly about the production. After all, the title of this Forum is "MP3 Mixing Clinic" is it not? We look forward to future posts and applaud the right of public opinion.

Decent rendition. I'm a big Beatles fan and this is one of my favorites from them.

A quibble - the "oh's" during the chorus (coming right after the "I am the eggman" line) are on the weak side. They need to punch things harder IMO.

I'd also suggest double or triple tracking the lead vox. On top of the vocal effects you have, I think it would sound a bit better.

Trip...

Re: Thanks for the comments!

Simman said:
And to that end, I take exception with BB implications regarding the validity of the production. All parts were individually tracked (over 32 of them, including live performances & Synths).
Regardless of whether they were pre-fab midi files or not, I stand by my own distaste for all-midi productions It definitely has an overall midi-production "sound" to it.

Just out of curiousity Blue Bear

You don't like the use of midi in recording? I am just curious. When we record drums (electronic) but played live on pads we record them in a midi sequencer....I find it invaluable to be able to constantly alter the drum sounds after the original recording. We sync the midi to the HD24 and once we are satisfied with drum sounds we track them onto the HD24. I am not saying this is better then acoustic drums and mics....but in our enviroment when the kids are running across the floor above us it sounds like elephants are coming and it is nice to not have those open mics. Do pro studios not use midi? Thanks for the comments.

Re: Re: Thanks for the comments!

Blue Bear Sound said:
I stand by my own distaste for all-midi productions It definitely has an overall midi-production "sound" to it.

That is certainly a valid response. Personal preference is a wonderful thing! ;)

Thanks for the response.

My distaste for all-midi production ultimately stems from the fact that with the exception of dance/hip-hop/rap, any midi production I've ever heard sounds very stiff and "contrived" - mainly because due to overquantizing and poor-sounding samples.

The only exception to this is in the dance music genre, where the sequenced, precise beat is a requirement.

In other musical genres however, I find it too unrealistic from a performance perspective.

Glazingfool,

I'm in the same boat as you, all midi production. It is possible to make midi sound more natural by quantizing to a minimum. That is always my goal, to leave some natural timing in there. That way it sounds more "human". I have found that I sometimes under quantize, and get criticized for my sloppy playing, so it's best to strike a balance between the two. Usually, the bass, snare and kick need to be most precise, while other parts, especially legato parts can do with much less quantizing and still sound really good. Of course if you are a really a good player, you don't need to hardly quantize at all. ;)

For covers it's debatable, but for original music, midi production is every bit as legitimate as recording into protools and editing and autotuning to death. Midi production has it's own challenges and can be every bit as artistic IMHO. I would agree though that trying to replicate non-electronic based music with midi is very difficult to do convincingly.

Re:Blue Cyberia

I agree with your comments. I have to believe that on a level far superior than mine that in some pro studios they use midi for alot. I know that I can play a piano part into my crappy sequencer and have it sound exactly as I played it. The problems come in like you said with over quantizing, but people with far better equipment and skill than I can do wonders with it. I wonder how many pro songs we listen to actually have midi work on them. I've kind of assumed that midi was becoming a staple in modern studios. Thanks for the input.

Re: you stole the original master?

Cool rendition.

Vocals were great! Some intonation issues here and there, but the spirit is there.

Nice Job.

I think the arrangement worked well. I was NOT put off by the MIDI artifacts. You put a LOT of work into getting that FUCKING perfect and you have my respect and admiration.

You spotted an arrangement you could perfectly MIDIfy and apply brilliant vocals to.

You respected the original while adding your own vocal phrasing style.

Thumbs WAY up!!!!

Back