Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cover of Beatles "I am the Walrus"

Thanks

Cover of Beatles "I am the Walrus"

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is not the final mix. Still have to add guitar. At the 1:59 to 2:02 part of song we cut and pasted the actual noise interlude from the real song. This stuff is fun.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/glazierman/walrus3.MP3

Thanks

glazingfool-

everything sounds pretty close from what i can remember. Im not really a giant Beatles fan but i do enjoy some of their stuff. I hope you don't find this offensive but the fake drums and stuff make it sound like your just singing over a Midi file. I really don't have any thing else to say or offer. Sounds pretty good for what it is.

Thanks

Re: glazingfool-

Originally posted by Wireneck
    ....the fake drums and stuff make it sound like your just singing over a Midi file.
    Funny - that's exactly what came to mind for me too....

Decent enough vocals, but I can't get into canned midi arrangements at all...

Thanks

Arrow It's damn good, dude!

Right on! Performance is spot-on. Whether it's all-synth, MIDI, or keyed in live, track by track, a hell of a lot of "putting together" and production went into that song,... especially to make it sound so nearly perfect.

I also like live instruments more than synth instrumentation, but I'm not knocking you, that is a very impressive production! I can appreciate that you'd not have a whole orchestra and dozens of 'extras'.

You've made a real study of this Beatles-thing! That's a very fun song to play & hear produced from the home recording side of things!

What's next? Heck, bring 'em on!

Thanks

Re: It's damn good, dude!

Originally posted by A Reel Person
    Right on! Performance is spot-on. Whether it's all-synth, MIDI, or keyed in live, track by track, a hell of a lot of "putting together" and production went into that song,...
    Except that I don't think HE did the production.... I think it is a midi file - karaoke style...!

Thanks
    A Reel Person thanks for the response. Yeah I wish it could all be live instruments! We used my old Mirage DSK from the eighties for the violins and the electric piano. Thanks for listening.

Thanks

Thumbs up you stole the original master?

i can see what BB means, i switched between the original and your cover -bar per bar- and they're IDENTICAL (up to the cool slides on cello)

still think you did this yourself right? MIDI files are usualy not THAT accurate

sounds cvery cool btw, sticking to an original as close as possible but with different sounds or maybe changing the 'mood' of a song slightly is always interesting
    some band made an album 10 or so years ago -can't remember the name- and what they did was take for instance i get around from the BB and translate it completely in to midi, imagine the two-tone solo played by an eighties synth !!!
    do you know the moog cookbook, it's a guy who used to work for bob moog and does covers of pop songs with (only) moogs and other analogues, also sticking very close to the originals the results are stunning (and stunningly funny at times - check out their version of black hole sun)

but a tribute non the less

the lead vocals on your cover are awesome, the effect is a bit over the top --- ME LIKE!!!!
    Last edited by faderbug; 10-17-2003 at 05:46.

Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks for the comments!

I am the co-producer (with Glazingfool) of this cover tune and want to clarify a few things.

First, thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen!

The intent of this post was to get feedback on what was done as an exercise to "ring-out" our HOME studio (wiring, equipment, etc.). Nonetheless, as previously stated, we appreciate all of the comments and we hope to provide a final mix for review.

Yes this was produced from a MIDI file as stated; however, a simple MIDI file.....NOT Hardly. Wetteke, you are right on...appreciate your insight. This is far from a simple karaoke type file/production (or lack there of) as BB has suggested. And to that end, I take exception with BB implications regarding the validity of the production. All parts were individually tracked (over 32 of them, including live performances & Synths). All vocals were tracked live, including all the underlying background voices.

The “Mix” is not complete and is really not much more than the tracking mix dumped directly out to a stereo file. No attempt to cover the imperfections in the mix is intended. We are just extremely confident in our ability to produce quality recordings in a home studio environment and wanted to become involved in this open forum.

Bottom Line: this effort was truly about the production. After all, the title of this Forum is "MP3 Mixing Clinic" is it not? We look forward to future posts and applaud the right of public opinion.

Thanks
    Decent rendition. I'm a big Beatles fan and this is one of my favorites from them.

A quibble - the "oh's" during the chorus (coming right after the "I am the eggman" line) are on the weak side. They need to punch things harder IMO.

I'd also suggest double or triple tracking the lead vox. On top of the vocal effects you have, I think it would sound a bit better.

Trip...

Thanks

Re: Thanks for the comments!

Originally posted by Simman
    And to that end, I take exception with BB implications regarding the validity of the production. All parts were individually tracked (over 32 of them, including live performances & Synths).
    Regardless of whether they were pre-fab midi files or not, I stand by my own distaste for all-midi productions It definitely has an overall midi-production "sound" to it.

Thread Information