COuple of Toons I recorded, Please critique

MadMax

Not necessarily the songwriting as I didn't write them, but I did play guitar so I guess I wrote the guitar parts. I and sang some of the backups too. I engineered and mixed them though and that's what I'm interested in hearing criticism on. It was recorded thru an A&H mixwiz into a Mackie MDR 2496 and then mixed on a Mackie 8 buss into a Masterlink. I used a couple of RNC's on the Kik and snare and a TC M-1 for rev and delay. The guitar was recorded direct using an old digitech Genesis Pod type thing that cost me $80.00. I just didn't want to hassle with micing up my Marshall and sit in the control room and try to get the sound. I'll gladly do one or the other, but doing both is impossible for me.

Please, don't hold any punches.

Listening to Do Ya Really..

Why does this remind me of early 70's Stones? I can't think why, but when there's no singing, it just does. That's very Keef, that rhythm guitar. Oh - the guitar solo's just come in - now it's something else. Not sure that fits somehow.

Like the rhythm guitar, the vox, really like the BV's.

(just started it over 'cos I like the rhythm guitar so much. And the BV's - that is first class BV work)

Thanks - enjoyed that. Sorry - that guitar solo's just wrong. It's just come in again - it doesn't fit. Otherwise, great :)

Yeah, I kinda agree about the solo not fitting. I remember when we recorded it, I just couldn't find the right feel for it. But the songwriter was encouraging me to go with it. I think there really needs to be a complete feel change for the solo instead of going into the long double bass thing. It just doesn't fit.

Max-

It does have a great 70's rock feel to it. No doubt. Very clasic sounding rythm, the solo reminds me of Van Halen and Angus young having an offspring guitarist. :)

The mix is a pretty good rock mix, though it sounds almost lofi compared to the new rock I have been listening to. But thats a cool thing I think. Simplicity is too often overlooked in rock music these days. It has a really good live feel to it for me.

Now on "Every Day". The lead guitar sound matches here alot better. Your bg's in both songs are pretty classic sounding, too. I'm hearing a wierd sound at 3:48 like a skipping, it may be me, or it may be in the mp3 conversion or something, I dont know. It seems to stop when the guitar is over. One of the bass frequencies is a little overpowering, it's the high E, not usually an issue on these monitors for me so maybe something to check, or not.

If you guys play out, check out Knoxvile, TN. 100.3 there is into music right up your alley and supports small groups that come to town.

H2H

I used to play Knoxville about 20 years ago. A place right on the main drag called Bundoolie's (sp) and another club called Uncle Sam's.
That clicking sound is an artifact of the conversion. And like I said, I didn't write these, my style is newer and harder. But I did try to cop a Keef feel except for that misplaced lead.

Back