Could you listen to this one?

Nice guitar playing and vocals.

Something wrong with the drums, though I can't put my finger on it. They sound weird, and they seem too busy for this tune....and the rolls sound weird. I can't be more specific than that. I wish I could offer some advice, but like I said, I can't really put my finger on why they sound "off" to me. They just seem to be the weakest link in this tune, in my opinion.

Other than that, nice bluesy tune. :cool:

Thanks

Spot on mate. That is the one thing I wish I could change. The song was done in the digital domain with a Yamaha synth and live vocals and guitars straight to a 4 track porta studio tape machine some time ago. I trashed the tape a while ago and have not been able to recreate it as good as the one and only take.

Thanks for taking the time, I entered it into the international songwriting competition this year, now I wish I would have waited and tried to reconstruct it with a different drum track but it is what it is.

Thanks

Rick

Hey Rick. I think it's well worthy of being entered in a song-writing competition just the way it is. The drums don't ruin it by any means. The vocal and guitar performance are great. It's well played and has a lot of feeling to it. I just happen to be a drummer, so of course, it's something I notice. Good luck in the competition, brother. :cool:

Well, you got the feeling but I don't find the trumpets to match the rest of the songs... they have another feeling, don´t know why but they're too "happy" for the tune.

Guitar playing and vocals are great, o problems in there.

COncerning the drums... snare could use more reverb. Try to vay the dynamic of each stroke. Even if you did your track using a drum machine you still could adjust the volume of the hits individually. Remember how human drummers hit the notes, some are softer, other louder and even has mistakes (you can add that too if you feel confident ;)) Kick is too boomy, you can tweak the knobs a little to make it sound more real. Maybe using another sample or combining tow different sounds.

Luck with the contest.

Good blues song, though I think the drums are busy sounding for the track. The lead guitar seems a bit over processed for a standard blues though-it's got an '80's' type of delay/distortion on it-just my 2 cents though.

That was pretty good. The song is well-written and catchy.

I think the trumpets and strings conflict with each other a bit. They feel like they're pulling the song in different artistic directions.

I'd cut a lot of the instrumentation out from the beginning. With the full band fading in like that, it kind of sounds like we're starting from the middle of the song instead of the beginning. Plus, leaving some instruments out at the beginning gives you some room to build later on.

I think I heard some distortion and sibalance on the vocals throughout. I'm not sure if that's a recording issue or a "streaming mp3s through mediocre headphones" issue, but it's worth looking in to.

Overall, it's a good song. The large band blues sound isn't one that I've heard a lot of.

I loved the guitars, bass and vocals:)

Drumwise, I think just as Rami.

Overall I liked your song:D

Cheers!

Thanks for the

feedback all. It really speaks well of the people on this site when you come here seeking opinions on something as personal and cosmic as a song you have made out of thin air and you can connect with each and every reply on a truly intimate level because everyone is as blessed with that talent as you.

You have all been great and have validated my gut feeling that the drums are the weak spot in this song. I just needed to hear it from someone else who knew what they where talking about. I'll keep you all posted on how it does in the competition.
Rick

I'll turn you on to this one...

Wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in. For all the songwriters out there check this out. If you ever found yourself away from your equipment and been hit with a inspiration for a new song your not out of luck for getting it down if you have a computer in front of you.

A site called "jamstudio" offers a complete songwriting solution and its absolutuly free. I am in no way connected with this site but stumbled on it and it is awesome, in fact if you go to my soundclick page "It could only be you" was composed using this site in about 20 mins. You can save and log back on from the studio computer at a future date and have your song still playable.

May come in handy if you need to get and idea down quick and dirty and work it up later. Again its free and it is really cool once you master it. I'm going to use it to sketch in my next tune "Long after were gone" later today cause I'm away from my recording studio and instruments today.

Let me know what you think....the owner of the site did a wonderful job and did I mention its free...just another tool in the toolbox.

Rick

Back