The cool parts of my job

famous beagle

So I’m in the middle of recording the guitars for a book I wrote called Radiohead Guitar Signature Licks, which takes excerpts from songs and discusses them with regards to theory, technique, some gear, etc. It’s kind of like a mini-lesson on each part of the song.

What you’re hearing is the rough mix of the drums/percussion, bass, etc., which were recorded at a studio in WI (near Hal Leonard), and my guitars that I’ve recorded here. I just did a quick rough mix of all that.

In case you're wondering, there’s an edit at the start of the verse, because the intro was one excerpt that was discussed, and the next was the verse, so they’re actually two separate recordings, but I just stitched them together for this.

Anyway, if you A/B it against the original, it’s not a perfect match, of course, but then again, I bet even the band would be hard-pressed to go back and duplicate it exactly at this point! I think it sounds pretty sweet, at least.

Times like these are when my job is really cool.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear what y'all think.

Thanks for the listen!

Attachments

• Airbag excerpt.mp3
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
Hey, that's sweet. I'm a big fan of Radiohead and this song is one of my favorite tunes. There's a lot of things going on that particular song, I really love the details and how the band crafted such a complex yet beautiful melody.

You track sound great to me, and it's well played too. As you already stated, even the band would be in a hurry if someone try them to reenact the same sound and feeling of that tune. So, great job. More tracks, please.

Thanks! Here's another excerpt from "My Iron Lung." I'll share a few more as I get them done. Again, these are all really rough mixes. It's my job to only record the guitar parts, so I'm not spending much time on these "mixes" at all! :)

Attachments

• Iron Lung excerpt.mp3
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
Impressive, man. That intro guitar on Airbag is spot on. Bass is perfect too. Maybe add a little flange to the drums...or maybe that's just an artifact on the crappy mp3 of this album that I've been listening to for a decade now.

Cool, guitar tone is on the money too. So now we know the guy who plays on "the accompanying CD".

Airbag - yep
Iron Lung works well - demonstrates the funkiness of the initial riff too. This song is a fav of mine.
Cool running!

Back