Condemn the Faithful

emergencyexit

This is the first of probably 3-5 mixes. This band has been recording in my shitty studio for about a month, and this mix was done with the drummer watching over my shoulder in about an hour. My ears got really tired quickly so I'd appreciate as much feedback as you are willing to give (even if it means you call it crap since it is). I went pretty crazy on the reverb because both me and the rest of the band likes the really wet metal sound. If you would like any specific info on how it was tracked or mixed ask and I will be happy to let you know.

The song is called Condemn the Faithful. Enjoy.

Ben

Love the song! This is right up my street, so tell the band their stuff rocks.

Do me a favour though, repost the mix before getting feedback. Unless I'm much mistaken about 90% of the mix is clipping heavily so it's hard to comment until that is sorted!

Sounds good. Kick, bass and low end of the gtrs are building up a lot around 100-200 Hz. The mix is too dense in that range IMO. The higher pitch gtr lines could come up and have more body - they're kind of thin, almost bee-like. Vocalist has a cool broken up kind of sound - maybe that's what P-J is hearing as distortion.

Timothy Lawler said:
Vocalist has a cool broken up kind of sound - maybe that's what P-J is hearing as distortion.

Look at the MP3 in your favourite WAV editor.

No P-J is right, the master track was clipping constantly, I'll take the fader down a few db and repost tomorrow.

I hear that muddiness to, you think its around 100-200hz in every instrument. This mix consists of two overheads, real snare and triggered snare, bass drum inside, bass drum beater and bass drum trigger, 3 toms, 3 tracks on each side for the two guitars, and then two overdub tracks (making 8 guitar tracks in total) and then two bass tracks. Do you think I should just pull up a parametric EQ on the master track and suck out something in the 100-200hz range, or should I find the ones that are having the most problem, and suck it out there?

I'm pretty young, and pretty new to all of this, so I appologize if anything I say sounds stupid or is something you would never do? Does anyone feel like the reverb and delay bus's are too high in the mix?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Ben

Back