comments please

I am listening as I write. The two things that jump out at me right away (besides the fact that it sounds really good) is that the snare is muddy. It doesn't really contrast well with the kick. I think anyway. The second things is that I can tell that there is autotune on the vocals. Mellodyne? It isn't bad, but the mechanical vibrado sounds to...well...mechanical. Being a christian myself, I like what you are trying to do with the song. It reminds me almost of a christian band I saw in Dallas about a month ago called Freely. Overall, you did a really good job. I like it.

I am listening as I write. The two things that jump out at me right away (besides the fact that it sounds really good) is that the snare is muddy. It doesn't really contrast well with the kick. I think anyway. The second things is that I can tell that there is autotune on the vocals. Mellodyne? It isn't bad, but the mechanical vibrado sounds to...well...mechanical. Being a christian myself, I like what you are trying to do with the song. It reminds me almost of a christian band I saw in Dallas about a month ago called Freely. Overall, you did a really good job. I like it.

thanks propman! i was going for a more roomy snare, but you're right, the kick is upfront by comparison. maybe i need to turn up the close snare mic and lower the room. you're right about melodyne! listening again, there are definitely a few warbles that i'll need to go back and punch in.

thanks propman! i was going for a more roomy snare, but you're right, the kick is upfront by comparison. maybe i need to turn up the close snare mic and lower the room. you're right about melodyne! listening again, there are definitely a few warbles that i'll need to go back and punch in.

Cool! I was right about something! :D Anyway, by muddy, I was saying it sounded to dark, and needed a bit more high end EQing. As for the kick itself, I really didn't see a problem. It had a lot of punch from what I heard. I may take another listen in a minute. It just kind of seemed to me that the snare and the kick were too much in the same frequency pocket if that makes sence.

-Adam.

It just kind of seemed to me that the snare and the kick were too much in the same frequency pocket if that makes sence.

i was definitely trying to get the attack of the kick beater to punch through. like you said, maybe an hf boost on the snare is in order. how are the guitars?

Okay, so I'm at work and can't really turn my computer volume high or people outside of my office will think I'm having a party. Therefore, my ears may not hear everything correctly because the volume is low. I love the song and your vocals are great! The only thing it seemed to me is that the guitar and drums seemed loud and your voice could come up front a bit more.

Again, this is my perception based off of crappy computer sound almost too low to comprehend, so take it for what it is!

Great job and you're very talented. Thanks for posting your song!

Jen

New Life is a good song. I haven't heard the funk song yet but I'll get to it. I think the snare can be cleaned up a bit to make the sound more robust. Good luck.

I like the snare

Personally I think the mix and EQ you have on the drums is really nice, its nice to hear a different sound on the drums instead of a traditional "sharp" "bright" snare. I like to hear the style and ideas of the engineer/master come through with some original intentions and mixing the snare a bit more "dark" goes really well with this track as the guitar is quite "bright".. Personally I might have the guitars slightly further back in the mix on the riff that comes in on the verses and a bit less "bright" but I am not fond of very trebly bright mixes anyway so its down to personal taste. I really like the song and the over all quality is exellent and very proffessional, my main concern is the vocal with the pitch correction. I would not have any pitch correction at all and focus more on re-recording the vocal until the pitch is correct, this may take ages but its good to push musicians to do their best and not rely on post production. If you must use it be much more subtle and sparing it really takes away from what sounds like a really nice vocal performance!...
The only other criticism is maybe the bass guitar is a little on the wooden sounding side? Did you D.I the bass or mic up an amplifier? If it was D.I'd maybe consider re-recording through a nice valve amp or pre-amp and cut some of the low mids (500hz-1k ish) associated with that wooden sound.
Great work! Hope you can give me feedback on my recordings in the future!
One more thing; sometimes you should take peoples advice on board but you are in control and its your creative input too as an engineer and your right for individuality in your mix and technique. So although people can give you advice and criticise your art remember sometimes you can say: "you know what? I like it this way this is MY style" because that's what will make you successful is being different... Nice work on the drums I think they sound fine... Peace

Personally I think the mix and EQ you have on the drums is really nice, its nice to hear a different sound on the drums instead of a traditional "sharp" "bright" snare. I like to hear the style and ideas of the engineer/master come through with some original intentions and mixing the snare a bit more "dark" goes really well with this track as the guitar is quite "bright".. Personally I might have the guitars slightly further back in the mix on the riff that comes in on the verses and a bit less "bright" but I am not fond of very trebly bright mixes anyway so its down to personal taste. I really like the song and the over all quality is exellent and very proffessional, my main concern is the vocal with the pitch correction. I would not have any pitch correction at all and focus more on re-recording the vocal until the pitch is correct, this may take ages but its good to push musicians to do their best and not rely on post production. If you must use it be much more subtle and sparing it really takes away from what sounds like a really nice vocal performance!...
The only other criticism is maybe the bass guitar is a little on the wooden sounding side? Did you D.I the bass or mic up an amplifier? If it was D.I'd maybe consider re-recording through a nice valve amp or pre-amp and cut some of the low mids (500hz-1k ish) associated with that wooden sound.
Great work! Hope you can give me feedback on my recordings in the future!
One more thing; sometimes you should take peoples advice on board but you are in control and its your creative input too as an engineer and your right for individuality in your mix and technique. So although people can give you advice and criticise your art remember sometimes you can say: "you know what? I like it this way this is MY style" because that's what will make you successful is being different... Nice work on the drums I think they sound fine... Peace

Hi Disease8,

Thanks for the feedback! The issues you pointed out about the brightness on the lead guitar and the vocals were things I was thinking could use more work but were 'close enough', but I'm glad you pointed that out. I'm going to make some adjustments.

The bass was DI'ed through a UA610. I was actually really happy with the bass tone on this one: thick but contained, and not too overpowering. I guess we all hear things differently!

Thanks for the words, looking forward to hearing some of your stuff!

Back