Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: comments please

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    comments please

    Sign in to disable this ad
    The song is entitled "New Life" (Christian pop/rock), and can be heard at:

    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=7208662

    Would appreciate your comments about the mix, arrangement, performance, etc., thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    932
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    5445254
    I am listening as I write. The two things that jump out at me right away (besides the fact that it sounds really good) is that the snare is muddy. It doesn't really contrast well with the kick. I think anyway. The second things is that I can tell that there is autotune on the vocals. Mellodyne? It isn't bad, but the mechanical vibrado sounds to...well...mechanical. Being a christian myself, I like what you are trying to do with the song. It reminds me almost of a christian band I saw in Dallas about a month ago called Freely. Overall, you did a really good job. I like it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by propman View Post
    I am listening as I write. The two things that jump out at me right away (besides the fact that it sounds really good) is that the snare is muddy. It doesn't really contrast well with the kick. I think anyway. The second things is that I can tell that there is autotune on the vocals. Mellodyne? It isn't bad, but the mechanical vibrado sounds to...well...mechanical. Being a christian myself, I like what you are trying to do with the song. It reminds me almost of a christian band I saw in Dallas about a month ago called Freely. Overall, you did a really good job. I like it.
    thanks propman! i was going for a more roomy snare, but you're right, the kick is upfront by comparison. maybe i need to turn up the close snare mic and lower the room. you're right about melodyne! listening again, there are definitely a few warbles that i'll need to go back and punch in.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    932
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    5445254
    Quote Originally Posted by cptnhook View Post
    thanks propman! i was going for a more roomy snare, but you're right, the kick is upfront by comparison. maybe i need to turn up the close snare mic and lower the room. you're right about melodyne! listening again, there are definitely a few warbles that i'll need to go back and punch in.
    Cool! I was right about something! Anyway, by muddy, I was saying it sounded to dark, and needed a bit more high end EQing. As for the kick itself, I really didn't see a problem. It had a lot of punch from what I heard. I may take another listen in a minute. It just kind of seemed to me that the snare and the kick were too much in the same frequency pocket if that makes sence.

    -Adam.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by propman View Post
    It just kind of seemed to me that the snare and the kick were too much in the same frequency pocket if that makes sence.
    i was definitely trying to get the attack of the kick beater to punch through. like you said, maybe an hf boost on the snare is in order. how are the guitars?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    932
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    5445254
    The guitars sounded great to me. No change needed there.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    2410
    Sounds great well done.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Age
    47
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    164759
    Okay, so I'm at work and can't really turn my computer volume high or people outside of my office will think I'm having a party. Therefore, my ears may not hear everything correctly because the volume is low. I love the song and your vocals are great! The only thing it seemed to me is that the guitar and drums seemed loud and your voice could come up front a bit more.

    Again, this is my perception based off of crappy computer sound almost too low to comprehend, so take it for what it is!

    Great job and you're very talented. Thanks for posting your song!

    Jen

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

    And now for something completely different...here's a little funk tune I've been working on, would appreciate any feedback:

    EDITED, this song can be found here: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=288314
    Last edited by cptnhook; 09-01-2009 at 08:13.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Covington, Oh
    Posts
    2,285
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    5535826
    New Life is a good song. I haven't heard the funk song yet but I'll get to it. I think the snare can be cleaned up a bit to make the sound more robust. Good luck.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Newest mix! Comments appreciated (ruthless comments commended!)
    By Steve Henningsgard in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 07:54
  2. Comments on my mix, please?
    By Multiaudun in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2006, 15:29
  3. Comments?
    By Folkie in forum Vocal Technique & Processing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 11:35
  4. First mix - comments welcome
    By daveparker in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 03:01
  5. Comments on DR 202?
    By Keno53 in forum Roland, Boss, VS Series Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2002, 13:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •