Comments appreciated.........I hope.

Slack,

Try it now:) .

BTW, I don't know how the songs will translate through Mp3, but let me know if they would be suitable for the comp CD.

Regards,

:cool:

First of all, there are no quality requirements for the comp cd. You heard the first one, several low quality songs on there! Hell, my song on there was by and far the worst...ugh! Don't worry about it.

On to your mix...I'm just on headphones at the moment so keep that in mind.

I really like the thin acoustic in the left channel a lot, and the electric sounds are really nice (especially the harmonic part). Good guitars all around!!!

The mix overall is very clear, but also very thin. Lots of top and not much bottom. When it "kicks in", it's just not very powerful.

The vocals IMO sound really good but they are up kinda loud against the mix....this results in a sort of kareokee sound...like a singer singing to some "background music." They're also very dry...mixing them back might take care of this, but if not some reverb might be in order.

The drums I dislike in general. The snare sounds like it's in a different room, and the hat is louder than everything. The kick isn't very audible (again the low end). The toms are hard to hear and kind of sound like the snare :)

Good performances and for the most part good sounds...the mix could just have a lot more meat in my opinion!

Good work, and yeah, this would be JUST GREAT for the comp cd! Seriously!

Slackmaster 2000

Slack,

Thanks for the response......much appreciated.

Mixing was done on Tannoy Reveals, but also checked on NS-10M's and another system with someone else's ears. The comments I got on the last song I posted showed just how much the listening environment and speakers can affect peoples' perception of a mix.

The song it's self was good. well played & well written. However, like slack said, it lacks low end. turn up the drums (esp./ the kick and snare) And maybe turn the vocal down a little; it seems like the your vocals are in my face and the music is 20 feet behide you. basicely, the mix is good, just not enough volume.

Zeke :cool:

I like the song. Very well done. All it really needs is the mix tweeked as already suggested. I liked the gtr sounds you got. Very nice. Your vocals are also very good. I want to hear this remixed. Its definantly worth it.
Myx

Zeke and Myx,

This is interesting as you are hearing it way different to what I am, both here in our studio and (as I said before) elsewhere at another studio.

I also had a couple of comments on another BBS, which are different again..........but I gather they were hearing things closer to the actual mix than you guys are.

Definitely food for thought.

Listening again on my real system.

I can definately hear the low end better, but it's still definately top heavy....in fact the kick drum is the only thing really putting out any effort at the bottom, and it's got a lot of thump and no definition. I also still think the vocals are too upfront, and maybe too dry...especially during the "heavy" parts, too much vocal not enough heavy. Still can't hear the snare drum at all.

On the monitors here it doesn't sound as "off" as it does on small headphones....put some little headphones on once and it should become apparent what we're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, this is a decent mix of some well-captured sounds. Songwriting and performance are both really good! But the mix isn't doing it justice...just in basic levels.

Slackmaster 2000

Cool Slack,

The console is still set up for this track so I may have just one more play with it before moving on. For some reason, out of the five songs this one is the most demanding and difficult to mix and I had some reservations about it myself.............that was why I posted it.............to get some fresh ideas:) .

Nit picks:

Vocal is a bit too up front in a few spots, and is too dry.

Bass and snare lack body.

Kick lacks punch.

Good stuff:

The song.

The performance.

The guitar sounds.

Finally got monitors so I can hear much better. Sounds like a good mix to me. Id like to hear more punch in the drums as well and the clean lead guitar passage turned up. Nice vocals, I thought vox a little bit too loud but only at times.

Nice stuff man! Your voice sounds very good and fits this style well. I have to agree with some of the mix statements above. I don't hear quite enough bass guitar in spots, or it's not well defined or something. Some of the drums need to come up, especially the snare and tom fills. Kick is a little thumpy. Cymbal hits are fine level wise. Guitars sound very nice.

Nice song and well performed. Nice voice once again. Might need to back off into the mix just a little...not much mind you....

Very nice. I would love to see a remix of this as well. I think it would turn it from a very good sounding song to a kick ass sounding song.

This makes the keeper folder, but I still would like to hear a remix...say by tommorow? ;) :D

Nice work :D

Hey- Great Tune! That vocal was WAY upfront. It comes thru bright and clear even over the electric parts, effortlessly.

Maybe bring the bass up in the mix a tad. It sounds nice when it pops thru the mix here and there.

All comments taken on board............:) , so hopefully there will be a remix in about 6 hours from now.

I usually read others' comments while I'm downloading, but I didn't on this because I don't think I've ever heard anything from you before...at least not one that I remember as much as I know I'll remember this, LOL.

First impressions: Love the intro...harmonics are cool. You sing better than 99% of the people who post songs on internet BBS's, lol...myself definitely included in the lower 99% that you better. The song is melodic, but not in a repetitive 3 chord melodic way like my songs...(there's a compliment in there somewhere). Good seperation. I can hear every word, which is always a bonus. I don't know jack about drums, but the kick is definitely there...the hat's not annoying me, and the cymbals aren't taking my head off...nice decay, btw. Guitars sound pretty damned good to me too. Something's missing, and the only thing that's left (I think) is the bass. Not the low end, necessarily...b/c the kick is thumping...I mean the actual instrument (bass). Yep, that's it. Needs more bass. A lot of it may be the unusual bass line...all the high stuff...I mean, it sounds good (the tone), but it just seems like it's not quite doing it's job.

Okay, almost everything I noticed was great. One suggestion on the bass...that's all I have, LOL. Great, radio-friendly song. You've gotta' have more "stuff" in your homerecording setup than I do :D :D :D You definitely know how to use it.

Chris,

I thank you for your comments, they are greatly appreciated. Actually, if you go to the thread link in my first post here, you will find that you did listen to that previous track..........also my equipment list is there as well:)

Regards,

ChrisO :cool:

great tune man. very well done. Love the vox. I agree with more bass. Great guitars.

dtb

Back