Coming For You Now (Run For Your Life)

jonny deep

Disappointing Member
Hello. So here's my latest effort. I haven't had much time for the MP3 clinic lately due to us having had a baby recently. My wonderful (and hot) girlfriend has let me off the lead for a couple of days to try out my new Les Paul and this is the result. I hope you can find it in your hearts to devote three minutes of your time to having a listen and letting me know what you think. I've used the Waves Maserati signature plugs in a few places (these are essentially mix by numbers plugins where you just crank a few dials to process, say, drums or guitars, etc.) and I can't tell if it sounds great or totally smashed.

Many thanks in advance for your time. I'll paste the lyrics below.

Coming For You Now (Run For Your Life)
--------------------------------------

I'm quicker than a whippet with a rubber band round its balls
I'm faster than a ferret in a barrel on Niagara Falls
With hair like a fox and eyes like an owl
I'm a big sex monkey out on the prowl

I'm sly like a sinister sideways alligator grin
If I come round your house you'd better not let me in
I'll break down your door and climb down your chimney stack
Deadly as a heart attack

Chorus
-------
I'm coming for you now so you'd better run for your life
I'm coming for you now I'm coming woah-oh-oh-oh
I'm coming for you now I'm coming woah-oh-oh-oh

I'm brave like a great big tiger carrying a gun
I'm hotter than a billion stars bigger than the sun
I'm soft like a feather with a shell like an egg
Like a centipede with a thousand legs

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

Ok, here's a Soundcloud widget thingy - doesn't sound nearly as good, mind: -

Last edited:
Hi from uk also :) I love it, I like how cheerful it is considering the subject! I would like to hear more of the guitar, a lot more- I reckon the vocals would blend in a lot better also. Have you double tracked the guitar?

Hi from uk also :) I love it, I like how cheerful it is considering the subject! I would like to hear more of the guitar, a lot more- I reckon the vocals would blend in a lot better also. Have you double tracked the guitar?

Hey - thanks spazmo! Yeah, I'd like to hear more of the guitar too! Yep, it's double tracked - I just switched pickup and played it again. Thanks mate!!!

Oh yeah - I think it's actually a love song, of sorts.

Spazhands wanted more guitar, I agreed, so the link above is now to a more guitars mix. I'll add a Souncloud widget as well, as soon as their stupid website finishes uploading.

Haha, very cool. I love the simplistic 3 chordness of it. Fantastic. I also love your very brit voice. I always found it weird when english people would sing and lose all of their britishness.

The mix - It's fine to me. The drums are pretty robotic, but they're so basic it doesn't even really matter. The bass is a little mushy to me, but not too bad. What amp/sim did you use for the guitars? I love the big reverby pick slide. maybe get a little more clarity and evenness in the vocals, but overall it's good.

I love it! I really like your tunes and your singing style is great. Mix sounds good (maybe a little more drums) and everything sounds really good.

I can hear Greg drumming to this and really taking it up a notch.

Haha, very cool. I love the simplistic 3 chordness of it. Fantastic. I also love your very brit voice. I always found it weird when english people would sing and lose all of their britishness.

The mix - It's fine to me. The drums are pretty robotic, but they're so basic it doesn't even really matter. The bass is a little mushy to me, but not too bad. What amp/sim did you use for the guitars? I love the big reverby pick slide. maybe get a little more clarity and evenness in the vocals, but overall it's good.

Thanks Greg! I made a decision to stop trying to write proper songs and just do stupid stuff like this - it comes much easier to me and you only need three chords at a time.

The guitars are all my new Les Paul Traditional -> Vox Night Train -> Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Cab -> SM57 -> Interface. There's only a little eq scoop on the rhythms to let the vocal through more, otherwise it's all the amp on the 'Thick' channel setting with varying levels of gain and switching pickup on the guitar. I haven't had time to humanise the drums any, dunno if I'll bother.

The bass is DI'd into guitar rig, using one bass preset or another tweaked slightly. Ill try and see if I can sort out the mushiness.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

"I'm quicker than a whippet with a rubber band round its balls"

HAHAHA! Now THAT's how you start a song! :D

Yeah, I love this....no nits here, sounds really great ...nice mix, great lyrics, sounds like your having fun..the way music should be, guitars sound great on my headphones!

I love it! I really like your tunes and your singing style is great. Mix sounds good (maybe a little more drums) and everything sounds really good.

I can hear Greg drumming to this and really taking it up a notch.

Thanks Rami! You have no idea how much of a compliment that is coming from you - you make some of the best stuff on here, IMHO. I was in HMV (UK CD/DVD shop) recently and they played She's A Rainbow over the PA and I thought, hey, someone's covered Rami!

Thanks again for the comments - I'll look at the drums again. Cheers.

"I'm quicker than a whippet with a rubber band round its balls"

HAHAHA! Now THAT's how you start a song! :D

That was the line that started it all - I was walking down the street and that line popped in my head. Of course I hurried home, grabbed my acoustic and bashed out a quick framework - I couldn't let that beauty go!

Fantastic. Sounds nice.

Thanks man. I spent some time getting the mic position right and from there it was simple. Just like we all learned in the tone thread! The Vox pretty much does one overdrive tone, and that's Slash (hence the name), so I think it basically mimics a Marshall (it has a lovely clean tone, though).

Yeah, I love this....no nits here, sounds really great ...nice mix, great lyrics, sounds like your having fun..the way music should be, guitars sound great on my headphones!

Thanks Queepy. Means a lot for people to take the time! Yep, it was fun, although I've gone all bleary eyed now - time for me to go to bed, I think.

Thanks again!!!

Hi again. So, I've remixed this - the dropbox link is updated in the OP and the Soundcloud is uploading now, so the widget in the OP should work again soon. Here's the dropbox link again so you don't gotta go back a page: -

What I did was: -

1. Tried to unmush the bass by removing all my silly eqing
2. Brought up the vocal a bit and added a little slapback delay and carved a bit of eq space in the drums, so the vocal is hopefully clearer now
3. More drums as per Rami's comment (trust a drummer!)
4. Somehow, most of the tracks were panned 19% to the right, so I fixed that
5. A few volume and panning tweaks here and there

It kind of sounds finished to me now (excepting drum humanising, that I might do at some point), but I don't have the best monitoring environment - what do you guys think?

Back