Collab remake/ Drover's Hill, Violin/Cello

DavidK

This is a Collab with Paul 881, we did a version last year.

Mixing/EQ advice desperately needed. Very cool song.

Drover's Hill

The Cello Solo on the same page will be the beginning of this tune.

Damn that is GREAT music.

Strings put me in a transe. Well done, I couldn't tell you a thing about the mix.
Only that I loved the tune.

Joe

sounds good..........maybe seperate them in the stereo field just a touch, as when they are going at the same time they seem to cover each other up a bit too much...........

Violin and cello sound awesome! I thought the bass (Whatever you're using for a bass here) was a bit weak, and the effect on the guitars was a little too much, making it sound a little washed out. The music is gorgeous however, and well makes up for the rest. I did like the fact that the guitar sounded almost like a lute here, which is very fitting for the piece.

Twist

Thanks for the comments! The guitar effect is Paul881s, not mine.

I have a "Straight" guitar part with no effects that I will try. I "mixed" this on headphones (Girlfriend was sleeping). To me, the violin sounds way too loud.

I like the panning idea. Any ideas about eq/mixing are needed.
The violin has some reverb, I also have a dry version. Thanx

P.s. Bass is a bass, I will crank it a tad.

Sounds great :) It has an Irish feel to it. I like.

From a mix point of view I'd say the violin is a touch loud. I'd also use a different reverb and maybe not on all the tracks, the one you have makes it sound a bit too "live" to me and clouds the mix a bit. It's a great tune though and fantastic playing. I wish I hadn't stopped learning the violin when I was 7 :p hehe

I made a new version, Drover 2 drover 2

I made the Cello solo and the tune into one song, and slightly remixed the song.

Once I get some MORE advice from you knuckleheads, this is going to be pretty cool. We are string players dammit, we spent our lives in practice rooms:D We know how to play our instruments big-time, but youz guyz have taught me a lot about recording.

The Drover 2 is good music, it just needs some help.Cheers, DK

Wow nice mix. I really like the stereo separation and think that adding a little more would benefit. I Enjoyed the mix, if I closed my eyes there was definitely a mediaval scene with costumes an all appearing:D

Bill

a well developed piece you got. Its very emotional. I like the tone on the cello, the bow is really smooth on it. I like the whole thing, was very impressed with the production.

Hey David, I just had to check out the new version. This is really a beautiful piece. Are you finished with it now? Just wanted to know if I should be watching for updates. Of course I pretty much live here anyway, so chances are, I'll catch it if you post something new.

Twist

Very nice, David. I love the new intro - it really sets up the piece. And I also like the addition of the cello.

Maybe a tad too much reverb, particularly on the guitar. I'm guessing the guitar already had reverb on it when you started working with, and you added a bit more??

Anyway, that's a nit. Excellent work all around. I imagine that this is how Paul was hearing the song when he wrote it.

Thanx for listening, everybody.

Twist, nope I am not quite done. I have five violin parts archived, I will probably cut and paste the best stuff into one part. I never edit my stuff, I just press record and play, so I think I will give it a try.

I also will try to eq the strings a bit, although I dont know much about it.:(

dachay2tnr said:
Very nice, David. I love the new intro - it really sets up the piece. .

Thanks Dachay. I actually am considering narration over the intro. I have a bunch of diverse tunes, and they have a certain theme ( Travelling), and I might connect them by interludes with narration that tells a Psuedo-story. It may be too dorky, I dont know.
I think Paul cloned a Guitar part, panned and delayed it slightly. I also have the Original, which might work better. I didnt do anything to Paul's stuff, it is all his choices. He hasnt even heard this yet!

I downloaded the wrong one, the slightly shorter one, first. This one's way better than that one. A lovely piece of music. Lady and the Unicorn stuff.

The violin is the sound I like best on this one, because it has the least reverb on it, I think. The effected guitar's so effected and ethereal that it's kind of indistinct. How bout trying a mix that's a lot drier than this one, just to see what it sounds like and see what people say? You don't have to go with a drier sound, but just to compare.

As for spoken bits, you have to be *really* careful with them, or they sound so hokey. You need very good words, and you have to sort of 'declaim' when you do a spoken bit, if you know what I mean. There are some contemporary American poets who know how to read their own stuff well, I think. Ever heard Coleman Barks?

Anyway, this is a really beautiful piece of music, and deserves a good sound. Hope you tweak it till it glitters.

sweet lords of internet serendipity! A moving piece..........i think the acoustic gits have too much say in the mix overall.
I'd let the melody unfold with less of the git rhythm in the mix

Can't say too much without being unproductive but, before I lay on the very just and due compliments, I'd let the melody and theme unfold without having to compete with the gits in the mix....

I can't start to say how nice this is to listen to....a theatre of one. a subtle and yet obtuse composition that did these ears good.

Peace,

Theron.

Nice arrangment. I agree the acoustic has a bit to much verb. Almost sounds like an electric thru an ART effects rack with the acoustic gtr sound??? Other than that, the song has a very calming effect. Nice work.
Myx

I am going to put on my analytical suit here and offer my negatives.. You've got plenty of positives, and I could just echo the same too, but will try to be helpful in a constructive way.

The acoustics sound ok...but sound like the old Jethro Tull sound. Not bad, but really capo'd high.. Lots of effect on them too...almost too much FOR ME.

the bass needs to come up.

musically, the lines are nice, but feel it is linear feeling. The instruments play in the same register much of the time, same dynamics, and similar phrasing. Some variety to add development might be nice.

The interplay with the other strings seems to get lost to me as one violin drops out... the effect is not there for some reason.

the recording seems noisy...lots of background noise. If that could be cleaned up, I think your recordings would improve immensely. I think your "ambient" computer(?) noise is adding up as you add tracks and really masks the subtlties of the playing and the music.

MY POSITIVES...

the playing seems inspired, and is performed well.
there are some tasty licks in there too.
I like the tune.

Okay, David, I don't know if your PM is working or not - I get messages bounced back - so I'll put this here. I'll do a drier mix for you if you like, and I'll look at EQ as well. I like the tune, and this kind of instrumentation is one direction I'd like to explore in my own music, so it'd be fun for me. PM me if you're interested - mine's working. :D

You certainly give a fella a standard of cleanliness when playing those fast notes!!! It sure sucks when all you hear is flub flub flub partial note flub flub note note note flub flub.... you get the idea!

Back