Coldplay cover - Take 2

Laynestaley

Newbie Shmewbie
I've posted my cover of Coldplay's clock in the clinic about six months ago and most of the comments I got were about the vocals. So I did them all over, mixed the whole thing again and I'm really happy with the result.

I'm curious about you guy's opinions.
Do I still sound so Jamal-isch?:)

Man I love that tune!!!

Absolutely first rate cover job!!

I'll have to listen more before critique.

Be back later.

GT

you did a tite job, it rules. haha

as for the things i don't like as much, or aren't like the original..

too much reverb on the vox, a lot too much i think. some tonation problems here and there, but it's cool (some of those "high voice" notes.. haha).

i wish it was real drums, cuz that ride cymbal drives me crazy it sounds so fake. haha.

snare is aight though.

bass sounds great, nice tone i think.

the rest of your vox are tite, i like your voice.

ummmmm i think thats it. haha.

Damn Jamal, nice job!! lol.

:D

I like all the vocals except a couple of the falsetto parts where they stray off pitch.

That bass sounds so freaking perfect, I gotta' ask...is it a real bass? Can you make my bass tracks sound like that? Please?

im not really a Coldplay fan but it sounds

like your cover is pretty accurate. My only real nitpick would be the (falsetto?) vocal parts. They need to be touched up or possibly retracked in my opinion.
I should read other post first lol, i see this has already been covered. Good job man

Thank you all for listening and commenting. I'll be posting an improved version here next week.

GT - Thanks! It ìs a great tune.

Shackrock - The original has a lot of reverb on the vox too. However I took all the reverb away from the second voice so now the harmonies will sound way better. You're right about that ride cymbal too. I never noticed it myself untill you said it (so thanks a lot...). I'm gonna play with the drums a little more. I don't know if you're familiar with Fruity Loops, but I forgot to let the ride cymbal 'cut itself'. The improved version I'll post next week or so should sound a lot better haha.

Chrisharris - Yeah I know the falsetto parts are sang out of tune. I just couldn't get them right so after about four takes I basically gave up. :) Gonna try some more though. I know they bring the whole vocal part down.
The bass is a real one, wich I play it through a V-amp 2.

acidbath - I don't think I can do the Scientist actually since I only started playing piano and keys some monts ago. I had a hard enough time trying to pull this one of.

Wireneck - Yeah I like to stay as close as possible to the original. The funny thing is I wasn't a huge Coldplay fan either. I justed wanted to do a cover with a lot of piano and keys cuz I bought this midi board some moths ago and I'm learning how to play it. They've really grown on me and I do like them now.
As for those falsetto parts, I'm afraid retracking is the only option.

Thanks y'all :) !

....a guy named LayneStaley doing a Coldplay cover, .....I had to check this out:) .

Very Nice man!!!! Very solid recording. Im listening on the puter here at work, so my read on the verb might be a little off, ..but it sounds fine here. I agree about the bass, very nice tone man.... ..full and meaty. The slight intonation probs with the falsetto have been mentioned. One thing that i liked about your version is the slight grittiness in your vocs. A nice "real life" contrast in the tune.
I really liked this'n man.

gw/5

I'm with G.

But please watch that intonation and the phrasing (I mean, why do you stop singing in the middle of a note? Out of breath?) during the falsetto's man! The rest of the vocals are fine. The rest of the track is fine. It's just those falsetto's.

Guernica - Thanks man! This is the first time anyone has ever given me any stars, woohoo!

Pedullist - I will be retracking those falsetto parts, they're bothering me too. Also the "..home, where I wanted to go.."part needs to be done all over. I don't know what you're talking about when you say I stop singing in the middle of a note though..

Any comments on the mix perhaps?

Rest of the mix is ok.

I mean the stopped ah's in the falsetto parts. But they exist in the original version as well, I believe. It just sounds cut off to me. Not very musical and not how I would phrase it. So I guess I'll have to mail Chris and talk about it. Or Gwyneth. No sex until he sings those falsetto ah's properly, LOL :D

But hey, who am I? I sell only 80 albums a year and Colplay sells....well, quite some more. :)

sounds awesome dude. that bass does sound real good. i feel the snare is somewhat too loud, or just sounds a little off. i like your voice, nice and gritty :)

for reals, ^^^, what's your signal chain? :D

Hey, that's pretty darn good!

I'll have to admit, that I've never listened to or heard Coldplay, although I believe I've heard the name. I don't know if they're an 80's or 90's band, or anything else whatsoever about them or their music.

I think the production value and playing on this recording is very strong. The weak points might still be the falsetto. I give you props for doing it, though.

I try to avoid breaking into falsetto, as much as possible. No doubt, some songs demand it, or feature falsetto in some way, like maybe this one.

Instead of doing falsetto myself, I might try to find a girlfriend or female singer who could do the high parts. When having done this, it yielded a much more pleasing vocal with the female voice doing all the highs. Alternately, if a vocal's too high, but not necessarily in falsetto, & I have no female vocalist handy,... I'll try almost any other solution, than to break into falsetto. I've never done it well, and have not really liked the results that well, when I have committed it to tape.

I can tell that this song is based in a high vocal part in those in-between spots, so it's okay if the song absolutely demands falsetto, in one way or another.

Overall, the song's very well put together, played well, hifi audio recording & a really good job. Nice fade & everything.

So, is Layne Staley a famous name? If not, then it should be. It just sounds famous. ;)

CanopuS - I'm trying to get a friend of mine to sing the harmonie part. I think that would sound better indeed. I'm not sure what you mean by 'reverb on the keyboard. Since it's midi I don't even know ho to put reverb on it. Thanks for your comments.

DJL -Thanks for listening, man.

A reel person - Coldplay is a band that is really big, in Europe at least, right NOW lol :).
I'm sure your way of recording falsetto's is better but since this is a cover I wanted to do them myself and stay close to the original.
Thanks for the listen.
Also I'm afraid the name Layne Staley has already been taken ;).

bsanfordnyc - Thanks man. I know those falsetto's hurt your ears. They're really bugging me as well... As I said I will retrack themalong with some other parts as soon as I get the chance.

Back