COLD Rough Mix

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Really preliminary arrangement. Mike and I co-wrote. Mike was looking for a classic 60's style with a touch of Stones rhythm. 2 minutes. Ignore the fake drums.
Edit - newer version with small change to the lead guitar.
Edit - newer version with small change to bridge vocals.

Attachments

• Come On Lets Dance V2C 20121003 320K.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 10
  • Come On Lets Dance V2D 20121005 320K.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Cool Song & your voices work well together. Have you recoded vocals together before?
There're a couple of dud notes on the "lead" guitar I think.
The only issue I have with this prelim is that the piano is too middly I reckon you ought to play just right hand & do it up an octave or maybe two.
The melody is really good but I thought the invitation to dance could be reconsidered - the words and melody are fine fine but there's a little pause my ear wanted to hear between c'mon and and/let's dance.
Really good beginnings. Have you lined up PI?

Gotta say the song improves with the singing. The singing has a nice quirky quality, but the music is a bit robotic. Perhaps that is all good and what makes it work, but If you are going for a 60's beat sound then sharpen up the guitar and make the whole approach more abrupt. Early 60’s kinda slammed in its own way...

Cool Song & your voices work well together. Have you recoded vocals together before?
This is all me singing :D

There're a couple of dud notes on the "lead" guitar I think.
Yeah I plan to re-record that as it's a little rough . ;-)

The only issue I have with this prelim is that the piano is too middly I reckon you ought to play just right hand & do it up an octave or maybe two.
No piano - left side is Les Paul Studio, right side is Kramer Pacer.

The melody is really good but I thought the invitation to dance could be reconsidered - the words and melody are fine fine but there's a little pause my ear wanted to hear between c'mon and and/let's danceq.
That part will probably stay as is as vocals are pretty much done.

Really good beginnings. Have you lined up PI?
He's building a new house so he won't be doing drums until January I think.

Thanks for the comments! :D:D:D:D

Gotta say the song improves with the singing. The singing has a nice quirky quality, but the music is a bit robotic. Perhaps that is all good and what makes it work, but If you are going for a 60's beat sound then sharpen up the guitar and make the whole approach more abrupt. Early 60’s kinda slammed in its own way...

Thanks Simon - not sure how to sharpen up the guitar or slam it - perhaps you can give me an example song or two as a reference?
The robotics will be reduced once we get real drums on the track...

I love the guitar sounds and the parts. Bass sounds good too. Nice harmonies.

Yeah it'd sound better with real drums.

Something weird with the word "be" at :42.

Things sounded pretty dry. I'm assuming you'd put in some reverb later.

I love the guitar sounds and the parts. Bass sounds good too. Nice harmonies.

Yeah it'd sound better with real drums.

Something weird with the word "be" at :42.

Things sounded pretty dry. I'm assuming you'd put in some reverb later.

Thanks TripleM - I think the "be" is just a vibrato thing. I'll look at that. There is a bit of concert hall reverb on aux send - guitars and vocals. I can always try some more. :D

Ido,
Listening with h/phones now - I think it's the way the chord is played that made me think of piano.
Perhaps you could EQ it so it's a little brighter.
I assumed that you'd both done vox based on the description. No wonder you harmonize so well. Sorry about that - goo vocals.
The lead duds I mentioned aren't notes just a hesitancy or drop in vol that made them stick out a little - in the last part of the intro.
The song reminds me of Buddy Holly - it's the bright tempo/strumming & melody I think.
I really liked the bass in the intro but after that it isn't as exciting. I listened through a couple of times expecting the intro pattern to repeat but I don't think it did.
It's a terrific song - goes back, in sound/style, to some of the earlier work you posted when I 1st started listening in HR.

I helped write that bass part in the intro :D Mike wants to work a bit more on the lead to get more Keith Richards. We'll have to YT some as I'm not very familiar with their lead style. I think it also requires some weird open tunings. Should be fun....

Just added a new version with change to bridge vocals - at Mike's request. Going to try and work on the lead part(s) tonight before the Thanksgiving rush...

Modifications sound really good.
Thanks Ray - just waiting for Mike to get off work - I've been enjoying a few days off so I actually have some energy to record. I redid the vocals before my coffee this morning. I upped the reverb send a couple of dbs and v-vocalled that "be" at 42 sec just to reduce vibrato. I'm really enjoing my new pre for vocals as stacking seems to keep clarity instead of mushing them up.

Back