Coca and Howe

rats

This short piece I finished up last night, I thought. It sounds a lot different to me on these crappy computer speakers, and would appreciate any comments on the mix from anyone just to get an idea if it sounds OK as is and it's not just these crappy speakers I'm on.

I REALLY need to get some decent monitors at home.

Anyway, the song is called Coca and Howe .

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1155&alid=-1

For a minute I thought it was "Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict".

Seriously, I like the stuff you are doing. I love this psychedlic, freak-out stuff. Not sure if some others will get it but I think its cool and you handle it well.

Interested to know what bands you are into.

Thanks ashul, you're a good man to recognize several species'! Yeah this one was influenced a bit by that song I guess but when I write a song I don't set out to write a song like such-and-such would write, I just kind of play around and experiment with an idea and various sounds until it sounds pleasing and then I try and find a groove. When this one came together it reminded me of a cross between several species', some of Brian Eno's stuff, Butthole Surfers "Locust Abortion Technician", Laika, and Nina Hagen's "Nunsexmonkrock".

Other than these artists some of my faves are the Flaming Lips, Beck, Bowie, the Beatles, early Pink Floyd, Syd Barret's solo stuff, Love, the Apples in Stereo, the Beta Band, Mogwai, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, Mary Timony, Olivia Tremor Control, Bauhaus, Iggy Pop, Ween, the Pixies, the Doors, blah blah blah...

Pretty weird piece. Some interesting things going on here and there.

Was there anything non-sampled? Just curious. Some of the panning got close to being distracting on headphones. I'd say it wasn't a problem on this one, but it's always something to think about.

Please forgive my bluntness but that was sonically ear piercing at times. Thats what you asked to know about the mix right? Not the composition:confused:

Peace
Bill

3Ms- The only thing played on a sampler was the glockenspiel. The beats and bass were played on the Alesis airsynth as well as a few of the other "effects" sounding stuff. The main "Asian" sounding keyboard line was done with the sine flute preset patch in Reason's Maelstrom. All of the "alien" voices I did myself and did some funky time and pitch stretching in Cool Edit Pro. Some of the alien voices I did normal and just added some reverb. Probably 80% of this piece was done with the airsynth.

wfaraoni said:
Please forgive my bluntness but that was sonically ear piercing at times. Thats what you asked to know about the mix right? Not the composition:confused:

Peace
Bill

Ear piercing in what way? Some people pay to have their ears pierced you know. I used to have several ear piercings but I let them all grow back.:eek:

Nice stuff...

Warm sound. Sounds great on my speakers!

I can hear your influences.

I likey! :)

[spam]
Reminds me of the stuff my brother makes on his ancient Macintosh (8bits, 6 hours of processing for a single reverb on one track...it's not very easylistening stuff! ;) His later 'work' is more like yours, but he didn't upload those tracks yet)
[/spam]

'must be the speakers :)
sounds good here. maybe like the a couple of teletubbies and eewoks picked a lock on the dream factory and snuck in. nice ambience in the tune..

Toki - thanks man. Yeah I think all the kids music I've been listening to in the van with my girls has been having an advese effect on my psyche!

Peddy- 6 hours to apply reverb to a single track?! And I thought I had it bad! Wouldn't mind hearing his stuff but it appears there's something not right with that link. Either that or somethings going on with the website.

Attachments

• no snufelruft.jpg
    no snufelruft.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 186
I'm listening on crappy speakers, and in lo-fi, so my opinion doesn't count for much...

But, it sounded pretty good over here. The lead synth comes in a little hot on my end and the percussion could come up just a tad.

I like your use of sound effects.

Trippy little piece!

:)

Hey rats,

Sounded nice and clear, I don't know why I like this random inane music, but I do.

I suppose I like the total freedom of music, with absolutely no boundries, and no structure.

It's also a very lazy way to make music, my last one went this way, and got fairly mixed, to bad reviews.

Inane music, gotta love it!!

GT

Keep spinnin' that hamster wheel!

This piece had some smooth sections that brought flashback action upon the doctoral horizon!

That gets the drstawl school of structural management approval three thumbs up for ugly-clean patch application.

Yes indeed!

I likes it.....and I'm a big Floyd fan so this is my type of stuff.

But I'm still grumpy about missing that rocker of yours the other day so I'm not gonna tell you how much I like this one.

Besides, I have some surf music to go play on. :)

Interesting. I enjoy these sonic doodles. They are great for setting a mood. Bring the lights down, crank up the stereo, close your eyes and "float away".

BPOCO

GT said:
Hey rats,

Sounded nice and clear, I don't know why I like this random inane music, but I do.

I suppose I like the total freedom of music, with absolutely no boundries, and no structure.

It's also a very lazy way to make music, my last one went this way, and got fairly mixed, to bad reviews.

Inane music, gotta love it!!

GT

GT I have to disagree with you here a bit, I think you don't get it. There's actually quite a bit of structure here, I don't think you really took the time to listen or you would have heard it. And the other thing you said that kind of pissed me off is that it's a lazy way to make music. I've spent several different sessions hours on end noodling with this piece, experimenting with sounds, beats... I started working on this months ago, pretty much with just the "alien voices" and a different percussive beat I programmed on my SR-16. I didn't care for the beat so it sat for several months. Then when I got the airsynth, this seemed like a great piece to be able to go in and experiment with it. So then I literally spent HOURS and HOURS on end experimenting with the airsynth patches until I found a few that I liked. I had to find beats that worked together, and if you have ever experimented with playing looped beats on an aitsynth, it can be trying on your patience. By the time I got the song sounding the way I wanted it was about 3 minutes long, and pretty boring at that.

So then last week I was going through my archives looking for something good to replace a song we decided to drop on the album and I came across this again. There were elements about the song I really liked a lot and others that were dragging it down so I put it back in the multitrack editor and worked for hours and hours going through patches, finding melodies, until I came up with the glockenspiel part (that is staill played slightly out of time and needs to be fixed). Then I came up with the sine flute part, and it was almost there. A little more editing...

So you see, if that was a lazy approach, many of my other rock songs were in fact much easier to write because that's the format I'm more used to for the most part. Stuff like this has to get you out of your comfort zone. Mind you I'm not really pissed at your comments because I'm sure you just aren't aware of the situation, and maybe you come up with stuff like this in a different manner by just throwing anything out there and seeing what sticks, it's just that I don't do it that way, and by assuming that I do, it CAN be a bit insulting, but GT I know you a little better than that and don't take it that way. Regardless, you should be aware.

doc - thanks man I'm glad I could oblige in surfacing some of those chemicals buried deep on that brain tissue. Well maybe not that deep, but still. ugly-clean? I didn't think there was anything THAT ugly going on. Actually I thought Toke came pretty close with
maybe like the a couple of teletubbies and eewoks picked a lock on the dream factory and snuck in.

Actually I think Coca and Howe are my guardian angels, if they exist. My dearly departed momma used to tell me stories about when I was a wee child, and the funny things that happened, but one of my favorites was when she would tell me of my imaginary friends, Coca and Howe.

Hey Lt, if you really want to hear the rocker I'll email you a copy, how's that? Ha if I had thought you were serious I would have sent one the other day! Surf music aye? It sounds like a lot of B.S. to me!

good sounds! everything sounds decent over here except for the metronome in the background or whatever it is.. it sounds like a click and it made it sound a bit off at times.. maybe it's just me, but I would take that out.. other than that, cooler than usual tune!

Back