🖕

The guitar sounds great, the toms sound cheesy. The kick is great, the snare... um, ok, but could be better. Listen to the intro of "Down With The Sickness" for a good reference for your drums, and you'll be on your way. Were those real or were they samples?

That's it?!? Sounded like just an intro! Sounds pretty good though. Was too short to focus on anything mix-wise...

A little insight into how I approach things like this:

If I have an idea for a song in my head, I'll map out all the drums first, arranging the parts in my head- length, bars, all that stuff, even write it out if I have to. This gives me a really good idea on what the guitars will be doing- verses, chorus, bridge, etc... I don't even plug a guitar in until the whole song's drums, at least the basic grooves, are drawn out in the midi window. I may strum the rhythm unplugged from time to time with the drums as I'm writing them out though, just to make sure I'm doing it right, then to get the right tempo.

Once the full song is there drum-wise, at least the basic beats, then I think about tracking the guitars. Almost always bass first. Makes me feel like I'm playing with a band by the time the guitars come out, and helps with the feel of the guitar tracks. Then I'll tweak the drums as I go and hear things; fills, crashes, etc...

Another tip: I almost always lay a synth track first, right after the drums (before the bass), just simply following the keys and progression of the song. It totally helps to make sure you're perfectly in tune laying the bass track down, and the guitars that follow. Then when done, just delete the synth track. Although once in a while I'll keep it if it fits (hence I try to pick a fitting synth sound just in case)

Following guidelines like these has really helped my arranging, and tracking routine. I only bring this up because with a drum part as short as yours, my guitars would have never even gotten plugged in yet. Sometimes it does help, but if you concentrate on what the guitars will be doing in your head, it becomes easier to just write out the entire drum track first, then move on to the other instruments. And you won't have to post just snippets. But if that's what helps you, by all means do it. Everybody's different.

You've got some good sounds, so I'm just trying to help you out :guitar:

Edit: Re-reading my post, hopefully I didn't come across as 'my-way-is-the-right-way' or 'you're-doing-it-wrong', 'cuz that definitely was not my intention, and definitely not the case. Everybody's got their way, and I'm no expert, by any means. :)

Last edited:
Back