Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Civilization of the Mind (synthwave funk)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    214644

    Civilization of the Mind (synthwave funk)

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys, I know this forum doesn't get much electronic music, but I figured I'd give it a shot here. Vocals will be added later - just looking for thoughts on the mix quality of the instrumental. Thanks!

    Untitled 48 v10 (Civilization of the Mind) by Mothers Talk | Free Listening on SoundCloud

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
    Rep Power
    420903
    I'm listening on a pair of Sennheiser HD650 headphones and the mix sounds pretty good in terms over overall balance. I usually listen for excess mud and excess harshness, and I didn't really hear anything terrible. The drums might need some work, though. The kick and the snare sound small in the mix and a little low in volume. The kick doesn't sound particularly fat and the snare might be a little too compressed.

    My ears also wanted a little more variety in the arrangement. It's a fairly long song, and I'd like to hear more variation. There is a change at roughy 2:20, but I would do more to break things up. I always live by the rule of thumb that not everything needs to be playing all the time. It helps me and it might work for you, too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    214644
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    I'm listening on a pair of Sennheiser HD650 headphones and the mix sounds pretty good in terms over overall balance. I usually listen for excess mud and excess harshness, and I didn't really hear anything terrible. The drums might need some work, though. The kick and the snare sound small in the mix and a little low in volume. The kick doesn't sound particularly fat and the snare might be a little too compressed.

    My ears also wanted a little more variety in the arrangement. It's a fairly long song, and I'd like to hear more variation. There is a change at roughy 2:20, but I would do more to break things up. I always live by the rule of thumb that not everything needs to be playing all the time. It helps me and it might work for you, too.
    Dwill, thanks for the review. I upped the drum levels and slightly boosted the kick low end. Let me know if they sound more forward in the mix. I actually do want to give the synths a slightly dominant sound. You are right about the variation - the open space is eventually going to be filled with vocals so I think that'll take care of that.
    Last edited by Stevie_M; 4 Weeks Ago at 18:17.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
    Rep Power
    420903
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie_M View Post
    Dwill, thanks for the review. I upped the drum levels and slightly boosted the kick low end. Let me know if they sound more forward in the mix. I actually do want to give the synths a slightly dominant sound. You are right about the variation - the open space is eventually going to be filled with vocals so I think that'll take care of that.
    Yeah, the vocals will probably break things up. I wasn't clear if this was purely instrumental or not.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks
    411
    Thanked 373 Times in 364 Posts
    Rep Power
    19301283
    The mix currently linked is the one with the boosted drums? They sound forward enough for me. They're a little high-rangey maybe. Of course, with the synths taking up so much sonic space, boosting them in the low end might muddy things up.

    Do you have the vocal part written yet? I suspect you'll want a very dynamic vocal part to add variety.

    I like that additional synth you bring in after the breakdown. Kinda pink-floyd esque.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    214644
    Alright, I think I figured out the drums. It was my damn limiter settings...do they kick through the mix better now? Same link above to the updated track - plus NEW VOCALS. And thank you to all who provided input!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
    Rep Power
    420903
    Just my ears, but it sounds like the vocals need to fit better in the mix. There is a lot going on in the instrumental section, particularly in the 200-500z region, It's fairly thick and when you add the vocal, the low end lacks clarity. Maybe if you cut the vocal a db or two around 220hz it might fit better. Either that or just cut at the same frequency on some of the other instruments. You might also take one synth out of the mix when the vocal comes in. It will add space and make the song more dynamic. Whenever I mix my own stuff, I remind myself of the eternal wisdom: Not all instruments have to play at the same time. And sometimes less is more.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,987
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 145 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    6682598
    Don't think I've heard of 'synthwave funk' as a genre, and maybe I was expecting something funkier.
    My initial thought on the snare was that it was gated too hard, but as the track went on I got used to it. Reminded me of the 80's drum sounds - Visage, Human League. The levels are pretty balanced overall. I find vocals the hardest to blend into a mix, you've done pretty well here. Maybe a slight muddy/cloudiness in the lower reaches. Good jam though, I enjoyed it

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks
    411
    Thanked 373 Times in 364 Posts
    Rep Power
    19301283
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulls Hit View Post
    Don't think I've heard of 'synthwave funk' as a genre, and maybe I was expecting something funkier.
    Synthwave is a very chill genre in general, so I don't know how much funk can even be injected

    I like the mix with vox. I'd recommend some harmonies maybe, especially after the octave jump, but it's pretty close now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
    Rep Power
    420903
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    Synthwave is a very chill genre in general, so I don't know how much funk can even be injected
    Not the early Synthwave I remember. Nothing chill about it. Maybe the song needs some Normal injected into it.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mike Ost - Strength Of The Mind [Chillwave/Synthwave]
    By MikeOst in forum The Show Off Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2018, 13:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •