Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Civilization of the Mind (synthwave funk)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    Not the early Synthwave I remember. Nothing chill about it. Maybe the song needs some Normal injected into it.

I don't think that's synthwave? Synthwave is usually used to describe the genre that emerged in the last decade that is best described as "music from a 80s video game set in Miami at sunset"

Thanks
    I like it - I put out electronic stuff too with only a couple of real instruments.

With a couple of fixes this will be even better. I agree with Steve, it went very Floyd after the change up. Reminded me a bit of the guitar in Meddle's Echoes and you can't go wrong with that.

I'm a guy who likes the snare to fit and have a snap to it. This snare is almost there, and I'm afraid I don't have the words to describe what it needs to be perfect. And I think the guitar licks need to come forward to really make this song go. And I think you have EQ work to do with so that the listener can better hear the effects on the vocals.

Nice job on this Stevie.

Tim
    Last edited by YellowDwarf; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:17. Reason: fixed name, duh!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    I don't think that's synthwave? Synthwave is usually used to describe the genre that emerged in the last decade that is best described as "music from a 80s video game set in Miami at sunset"
    I'm always amazed by the amount of genre creep that's out there. There are too many to keep track of and nobody seems to be able to agree on nomenclature.

This guy seems to have the longest and most comprehensive list and it's absolutely mind-boggling.

Music Genre List - A complete list of music styles, types and genres

I'm not sure when all this started but maybe we should blame the people that put Country with Western or Folk with Rock. I know one thing for sure, it's completely out of hand.

Thanks
    With a couple of fixes this will be even better. I agree with Steve, it went very Floyd after the change up. Reminded me a bit of the guitar in Meddle's Echoes and you can't go wrong with that.

I'm a guy who likes the snare to fit and have a snap to it. This snare is almost there, and I'm afraid I don't have the words to describe what it needs to be perfect. And I think the guitar licks need to come forward to really make this song go. And I think you have EQ work to do with so that the listener can better hear the effects on the vocals.
    Yellow, thank you. I hear what you're saying about the snare and will be fixing it soon. I also need to cut some 200-300hz mud off the vox, good call. That is so funny you say the guitar is reminiscent of Echoes. I was going for a more Nile Rodgers muted funk. I an enormously influenced by the Floyd (I made a full cover of their Animals album) and, if anything, that the synth solo and vocals feel the most Floyd-influenced.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDwarf View Post
    I like it - I put out electronic stuff too with only a couple of real instruments.

Tim
    Hey so I realized my kick was mixed rather low and was contributing to the "flat" snare. I upped the kick by +2.5dB and I think it fattens up that snare punch noticeably more - how does it sound to you? Am I crazy? Same link in original post.

Thanks
    Overall I thought it sounded pretty good. Good sounding synths. I think they're covering the vocal just a bit. I might give the synths a cut in the mid-2Ks to see if the vocal pops thru better.

The kick is stronger than the bass. I'd raise the bass level just a bit.

Thread Information