Cissy Strut

Fleaflicker

Check out the mp3 of Cissy Strut on my band's website- www.fleaflickerband.com . This is my first home recording attempt. The song is only mixed as I have no mastering equipment/software. Please let me know what y'all think of the mix. Be gentle.

Thanks,
Bill

Decent jam. Decent playing. Pretty tight band.

One thing that really stands out on headphones is the wide panning of the guitars. I'd bring some of those tracks closer to center. Some of the parts are doubled (which is fine) but then diverge. That sounded weird on headphones.

Seems like the mic's were too far away from the amps. That's just a guess though. Or were they just Radio Shack-ish mics?

Little guitar mistake at 3:40.

Not too bad for northerners. :D
To get that N.O. sound ya'll need to get a little looser......have a little more 'swing' to it. If you want to cop that New Orleans feel a bit better......go do a seach for some of the Mardi Gras Indian bands like the Wild Tchopatoulas and listen to that. It's waaay looser than you would think is ok but still grooves. That's the key to the feeling we play with down here......very loose and sloppy but still in the pocket.

The guitar sounds kinda thin and processed; has what I call a 'mosquito fuzz' sorta sound. I'd like to hear something more like an amp cranked.

Band sounds pretty tight, the work you've been doing definitely shows. I'll have to look ya'll up next year when I make my yearly Michigan pilgrimage.

A bit stiff - this tune should have a skanky groove to it. Some high end funky 9th chords for the rhythm would skank it out a little more.

It sounds good - but it should funk more.

nice song, sounds good. Sounds like a live recording. Without the tool that you mentioned, its a very good effort!
thanks for sharing it!
Jason

Thanks Everybody

I appreciate all of your comments, suggestions and criticisms.

TripleM-I panned the guitars 75% left on one and 75% right on the other to hear each one a little clearer. The amps were actually close-mic'd with sm57s! Perhaps I need to work on placement angles? Oh, and thanks for picking out the guitar mistake!

Lt.Bob-It's way too f-in' cold up here to play any looser than that-jk! I hope to make it to NOLA one day and spend the entire time in front of a stage somewhere! About the guitar, that's a Gibson Les Paul being played straight through a Peavey Classic 50-212(all tube) mic'd with an sm57 and it sounds pretty damn close to my actual tone, so I guess the mosquito fuzz is what I'm going for! And that's a Michigan mosquito, by the way.

Mr & Mrs Gaylord Fawker-Again- Us 4 white guys=as loose as it gets! Perhaps George Porter Jr. could help? Those are ninths on the rhythm, just not high end and I don't like skanks! Thanks man.

Jasonbird-You are correct sir. The song is recorded live on a C-port, hence a few guitar errors here and there! Thanks.

If any of have any recording or mixing tips, fire away. Thanks again.

I'll be back when I finish more tunes!

Bill

Nice... not bad at all for a first attempt. I'd say you still have some EQ issues (drums/bass). Mastering this would help... It needs to be EQed/Compressed (over-all) a little more to put some life into it. Did you do any processing to it at all?

Agree that the gits are panned a little too hard. You could bring one of them more center or stereo-pan it and just leave the other git on the left (or right). That solo deserves a little more "presence". Drums are a little "soft" sounding (which EQ and Compression could help). Gits a little thin (same reason).

Over-all though, very good for a first recording, and a live take, not to mention that the performances were pretty good. (minus a few flubs here and there. :p)

WATYF

Hey fleaflicker

I liked it:D
I hope you guys have a thriving blues market out there so you can get lots of gigs and play live lots.
This music demands Live audiences:D

BTW, loved the website. Nice logo.
I have met a lot of people on this board that are in your area.
Keep it up you guys:D

Back