Christmas single - be afraid, be very afraid

cardiff jon

For the past few weeks I have been tortured by the question, "can one produce a blatantly commercial Christmas single and still retain artistic credibility?". I have decided to post the matter in question on www.nowhereradio.com/jonlenin/singles so as to seek the opinions of people whose views I respect (i.e. all users of homerecording.com)
nb if you think the answer is no, do you still like the tune?

Very cute! Classic sounding yet rockish! :) Not sure about the ending but...LOL

Do you have any more in the works????

Hey, you're worse than Wal-Mart, it's still November :)

You know what? I thought this was freakin' great, now I want to write a Christmas tune as well.

Couple of nitpicks:

- The bells were reminding me more of Jamaica or a kids show than of Christmas. If you change that to something more "Christmas-y" it will make it even better

- The end was a bit odd. That sounded like a dead sheep or moose or something.

Great Job!

Praise? My God! Humble thanks. The ending is odd because we recorded the rhythm tracks wrong and had to cut it short and put a dying sheep over to cover the error. But aren't bells something to do with Christmas?
I do have a couple more in this vain but haven't committed them to the MR8 yet - might do now you like this one!
Know any record company execs?

The answer is deinately NO. But the songs itself is still excellent, commercial though it may be. Try rewriting it from a more satiracle (sp?) approach. Talk about how wonderful Christmas is and how much you love sinking yourself into debt just to disappoint a bunch of ungrateful children with the wrong costly present. Or something similar. Just a thought.

May use that idea for another song, Shocka - I co-wrote this one (discerning listeners may note the change in vocalist as the chorus approaches). My co-writer and I have made a kind of pact to see this thing through. We're in too deep - there's no turning back - no-one can help us now.
By the way, what's happened to this forum? Isn't there anyone out there who wants to completely ignore the song and intimately deconstruct the mix?

Back