Chrisharris Cover, Thrashed by Me

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
This is my offering into the HR Challenge..a great song by resident Texan/songwriter in da house, Chris Harris. I love this song and I probably didn't do it justice or completely realize my vision of what I thought I'd do with it, but here goes. I was going for a semi-live, kinda going over the edge type of feel. Ah, just crank it up loud and enjoy. :D

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1522/singles.shtml

"Supposed To Do"

I was gonna' listen, but I'm kinda' sleepy...I'll get around to it.

1:35, 1:35, 1:34, 1:33, 1:45, ....hehehee...damned microsoft time....downloading.

Dayum man!This sounds good Crawdad.Loving the guitar work and the vocals are excellent as always.Wow,great harmony vocals and the steel is awsome.The drums sound good....nice side-stick on the snare during the verses......oh yeah,cool guitar work going on in the background....this is pretty faithful to the original as far as the structure and tempo goes.

Excellent cover crawdad.

chrisharris said:
I was gonna' listen, but I'm kinda' sleepy...I'll get around to it.

1:35, 1:35, 1:34, 1:33, 1:45, ....hehehee...damned microsoft time....downloading.

Yeah, I'm crashing soon. By the way, how much longer on the download? :D

I have this weird thing on my computer. When I keep my mouse moving, the download keeps going fast, but if I let it sit, I get messages like estimated download time...3311 years, five months, three days and 17 hours....

Kramer said:
.this is pretty faithful to the original as far as the structure and tempo goes.

Excellent cover crawdad.

I hope Chris approves...you know he paid me a LOT of money to cover this!

Thanks Kramer!

Man, Al...

Wow...

You know, it's personally very very cool to me that you did this song, b/c you're really responsible for me writing it in the first place. The first tune I heard you post when i got here was a country song, then the 2nd was a blues rocker, and they were both great in their own rights (yes, I can name them, lol)... so I tried to get out of my "box" a little, and I wrote this. Well, and then there's the fact that I totally stole the "I need to live for 200 years" line from one of your posts here in the clinic.

Fuck, excuse the language, but this is sooooooooo good. To say I'm flattered would be a collosal understatement. This is amazing.

Thank you.

(there's a weird "pop" about 1 second in that I don't think was part of your mix, but otherwise...it's inspired, and perfect.).

I know folks have made the comparison before, so forgive me, but this TOTALLY reminds me of when Ray Charles was doing his "country" gig...none of it was country, it was just amazing music, and so is this. I'm telling the God's honest truth when I say that I like this a LOT better than "my" version of the song, and I hope others aren't timid about saying the same.

LOVE IT!!!!

Nice man......your sining is great like always and I especially like the steel.....that's very cool. The guitar is happenin' too.
The mix seems a little bottom-heavy to me...........................oops, no....I had the wrong preset on my eq.............that's much better. :p
Good job.

chrisharris said:
I know folks have made the comparison before, so forgive me, but this TOTALLY reminds me of when Ray Charles was doing his "country" gig...none of it was country, it was just amazing music, and so is this. I'm telling the God's honest truth when I say that I like this a LOT better than "my" version of the song, and I hope others aren't timid about saying the same.

LOVE IT!!!!

To say I'm relieved is an understatement because I worked on this on and off for about six weeks--recording, scrapping, retaking things, etc. I still didn't find exactly what I wanted, but I threw everything but the kitchen sink in there--hell the sink is probably in there too somewhere! I kept playing with the mix and finally said "OK. Its what it is. Gotta move on." Then I thought--"Shit! What if Chris HATES it!?"

Anyway, I think this is an amazing song that anybody thats into any kind of roots music could sink their teeth into and have a blast playing or singing. I really wanted to do it as a tribute to your writing, which I think is excellent, and as a tribute to you because your heart is in the right place and you give so much back to so many here. Also, and not least, because it was something I felt I could maybe do justice covering. I still think you are going places with your music and I'll be proud to say I knew you when. So, my hats off to you Chris!

Lt. Bob--You scared me with that too much low end thing for a minute! Of COURSE, it needs a sax! Doesn't EVERYTHING? :D

Hey, enjoy your rest in Sarasota, but be thinking of me. Its 21 degrees here and a winter storm is gonna drop 10 inches on us by morning. They say it may melt around June. Don't you hope?:D

hey this spounds realy good. love the steel guitar in there,dang chris you must be flattered all to hell wright now. i know i would be flattered if somone redid one of my songs.(especialy crawdad)
dang those guitars just are full of sustain what did you use for the guitar sounds, im taking it that thats the results of miching a realy good tube amp?realy nice, (the only thing it needs now is some cowbell)to get that chris sound in there lol. thanks for sharing. god bless

the slide guitar sounds very good, but either the panning or arrangement on it has to change a bit cuz it's fighting with the vocal at some spots.

Everything else, man, this is nicely arranged, performed and recorded/mixed!!!!

oh, a little clipping on the vocal here and there after 3:00, but I am sure you are aware of that

Good stuff!

AL

I'm not into roots music (mainly because these american roots are not mine of course :) ), but this is a really really good cover. Thumbs up Crawdad!

It's the first I hear music from you Crawdad, will check out some more in the near future.

(btw I like your music/recordings in general, Chris! All very well performed & well recorded. And your daughter is something special too)

nice cover crawdad! i actually like this better than the original. the panning on the guitars was a little too much on headphones. vocal is distorting a little in parts. needs female bgv's on the 'i supposed to do''s.

drums sound very good. you get the 'most improved drum sound' award in the HR grammy's. i really like the pedal steel as well.

awesome! tasty tasty guitar stuffs! :)

I can't find things wrong with your mixes anymore, so I can only offer a thumb.. I love that slide work.. great vocals... drums sound good..

great stuff.. This reminds me of Joe Cocker for some reason.. (not the vocals though)

as always, great work.. I'm going to check out the original and hear some of the differences..

Great cover of a Great song!!!! Being damn familiar with the original, I enjoyed this alot. You guys are a compliment to eachother.

Crawdad, Incredible guits man..... .....those tones were sweet as hell, and perfectly selected for the song. ....and the playing....damn dad.... That smooth slide work was just plain excellent.

I like it when you push your vocals man. ...like at the ending(around 4:00'ish). I like a little strain for emotion.... ...it makes us human.

Beautifully done!
Great cover of a Great song!!!

g

w/ a BIG 5

Beautiful slide guitar! I'm gushing a bit, but man you're voice is amazing.

Chorus sounds perfect. Excellent guitar tone.

Gorgeous song Chris.

Why pan the lead guitar so far to the right? Just curious.

I'm not sure the snare needs so much reverb....preference, of course.

Did I mention the beautiful all around guitar tone? Gives me a little shove..

I believe the lead vocal should come up a dB or two.

Outstanding work.

Well.. I can't comment on how it sounds to the original cause I've never heard it, but WOW.... What a great song. Awesome guitar tone and playing. You've got an awesome "down south" kinda voice. Excellent work.

Back