Children's Recording

jtomme65

I did this yesterday for a thing at my Kids School. My attempt at trying to make a vocal ensemble out of re-tracking the same singers. What do you think? Maybe I am just biased because its my 10 and 8 year old Daughters doing the chorus vocals. Using the little R0DE pencil mike pair for the chorus Onyx preamp RNC Compressor. My voice is through an AT 4040 into a Joe Meek ThreeQ

Little Johnny Brown

Thanks as always for feedback
JT

The Choir sounds very good hear at my work but I can’t describe how that guitar doesn’t belong on the same planet with it.
I guess it was intentionally but distance in between guitar and choir is too big. Let’s wait what others have to say.

I hope my children will one day sing like that.

Overall the "choir" sound is pretty good. Nice job there. The timing of the handclaps is kind of tedious, though -- they aren't quite in sync with the vocals. And yeah, the guitar sounds like it exists in a completely different space from everything else. Is there any way to record the guitar in the same room where the vocals were done?

The cutoff of the choir at the end is very abrupt. The ambience just disappears all of a sudden. And your voice sounds quite dry in comparison to the choir and guitar. If that's your intent, fine; but if this were my recording, I would consider trying to make everything sound as though it happened in the same room.

Don

Great Feedback

I actually added reverb to the guitar (Bad Move). I will go back and leave it dry and then have another listen. We did this in an afternoon. If they are game I will do this over because I chopped out the remainder of the sound on the clipped choir and its gone (poof). I think with the "lead" vocal recorded with the same xy pattern using the two r0de small condensers with the same preamp it will blend better. I was trying for a different "color" but it did not turn out as well as I had hoped.

Thanks
JT

Last edited:
Back