Check Out "Your Gone Now"

pretty good mix.
the acoustic guit sounds sweet.
i noticed two things.
1. needs more vocal, unless you are going for an indie sound

2. the percussion sounds like it's in the next room. maybe bring up the level and use less reverb. i realize it's not a percussion driven song, so if you want to keep it quiet i understand taht, but i think it sounds like the drums are in a different room.

there's my two cents, please delete those multiple posts and change your to you're, the grammar police are in full gear!

Hi:

I'm listening now.............
Sounds like we got another song-writer here. Thats a good thing.
God Song and the singing and guitar playing is right there.
I don't know what you are using for drums but it doesn't sound good.

It's not really a concern till you get to the stage of making a demo.
Hang out here and learn........You can write so you are more than half-way there, IMO.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies guys! I didn't write the song (bass player did) but I will pass the kudos along. I am the guitar player so thanks for the compliments. My main problem is as you guessed it, the drums. Its an old late 60's ludwig set and I can't seem to get anything to sound good. The drummer wont go buy new heads for it so I am kinda stuck. I am using a Audix D4 on the kick (in the sound hole about 1" from where the beater hits) (1) SM-57 on the snare, and 57's on the toms, even though he doesn't really use them in this song. For an "overhead" mic I am using a SP C1 about 4.5' in front of the center of kick, about 4.5' high.

Everything is going into a mackie CFX-20 and then into a motu 828.

thanks

Amazing song there with some cool guitar parts and vocal. That voice is very appealing. And great melody.

I can't believe you are using all those mics on that drum kit and not getting anything.

Have your drummer change those heads immediately, if he doen't have the money all he has to do is make a cardboard sign and stand on the side of a busy intersection for a while. Whatever it takes. Then change the heads every 4 to 7 hours of actual playing when you are recording. If you are playing a gig then you want to change them before each gig.
Thats the price of being a drummer, I'm glad I'm not one.

Back out that kick mic so that it is just sticking in the drum about 3 or 4 inches and raise your input.

For overhead you could switch to a cheap PZM or 2 and hang 'em high.

Thanks Reel Buzzer,
we were messing around last night with a couple other new songs, and raised the overhead (as high as the mic stand would go....6' maybe), and it seemed to help quite a bit. Also I think I was just compressing the hell out of the drums along with too much reverb. I will try and re-mix it tonight and see what happens. Thanks for all your compliments guys, we are just starting to get off covers and its great to hear some positive feedback on our first attempt.
thanx
Brett

I like it. the metronome style drums with the kinda quiet rhythm quitar (left channel, I think) gets a little to monotonous until the change up at the chorus, and kinda detracts from the lead guitar. Feels like someone dancing a little too close to your face. you just want to back away, but they take another step towards you. Maybe cut the drums entirely during the verse, or the first verse, anyway, and bring them in for the higher energy parts. vox, l. git, and bass are nice. don't change em.

evhwanabe said:
Thanks for the replies guys! I didn't write the song (bass player did) but I will pass the kudos along. I am the guitar player so thanks for the compliments. My main problem is as you guessed it, the drums. Its an old late 60's ludwig set and I can't seem to get anything to sound good. The drummer wont go buy new heads for it so I am kinda stuck. I am using a Audix D4 on the kick (in the sound hole about 1" from where the beater hits) (1) SM-57 on the snare, and 57's on the toms, even though he doesn't really use them in this song. For an "overhead" mic I am using a SP C1 about 4.5' in front of the center of kick, about 4.5' high.

Everything is going into a mackie CFX-20 and then into a motu 828.

thanks

Get another mic in front of the kit. I think it is very very important to get a good stereo image for your drum set-up,..no matter what it is! One mic usually doesnt cut it,..unless you get real lucky! Get a good stereo image of your kit and the rest of the mics use to highlite what you want,..mainly kick and snare.

Cool tune.

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

Thats actually the drummer hitting the rim of the snare, we werent trying to do a click track lol, but I see what your saying. Kinda sounds that way now.

I am starting to like the idea of just ditching the drums all together until the chorus.....

thanks
guys
keep em coming

Calwood said:
Get another mic in front of the kit. I think it is very very important to get a good stereo image for your drum set-up,..no matter what it is! One mic usually doesnt cut it,..unless you get real lucky! Get a good stereo image of your kit and the rest of the mics use to highlite what you want,..mainly kick and snare.

Cool tune.

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

Calwood,
What kinda mic do your suggest? I am kinda limited as to what I can put up there, I figured out of my collection the C1 would be best. The only other condenser I have is a small diaphram Nady ($50). The rest are dynamics: a handful of 57's one 58, and 2 Sennheiser E 835's.

I also have an Audix drum mic kit, but I am currently not using it cause I thought the 57's would be better than the ones that came with the kit (its their cheaper kit)

Who knows, Ill keep experimenting I guess.
Thanks

I posted a second mix at the same link.
Is it better, worse, the same, should I not give up my day job haha

evhwanabe said:
Calwood,
What kinda mic do your suggest? I am kinda limited as to what I can put up there, I figured out of my collection the C1 would be best. The only other condenser I have is a small diaphram Nady ($50). The rest are dynamics: a handful of 57's one 58, and 2 Sennheiser E 835's.

I also have an Audix drum mic kit, but I am currently not using it cause I thought the 57's would be better than the ones that came with the kit (its their cheaper kit)

Who knows, Ill keep experimenting I guess.
Thanks

There,..ya answered your own question bro. I cant really tell ya what mic to use. It is specific to your location,..signal chain etc.
I can pretty much gaurantee you that a stereo mix of your kit will sound better than a mono one. It will go along way to giving your recordings the "space" they need. Experiment with every mic ya got,...stick with what works. Thats what makes recording so fun!!! Endless possibilities!!!!

Take 'er easy man.

Calwood

good job.

like the second mix way better, drums are way better.
i second the opinion to ditch the drums except for the chorus.

Back