Check out a new song?

Erland

Hi there. I managed to record today, very pleased. This song is really really simple. I used one finger for the whole thing so there may be those fret noises again, sorry.

If you have the time could you check it out? Does the song hold you or does it bore you too quickly. I tried to add bits and bobs as I went along (I put something new in this too) and some gentle backing singing like a string instrument.

I have written a lot of new songs lately that have normal lyrics but haven`t recorded them yet, I really look farward to that and maybe some collabs too?

Erland

RainingInBoston

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1375&alid=-1

Heavy in the low mids. Needs drums. Nice backups. Actually distorting in places.

Hi Erland...you may get some weird replies to this one. Our clinic is in a bit of disarray at the moment.

I dug it, though.

Your gushing fan,
Chris

chrisharris, i completely disagree with your 'needs drums' comment. Erland gets a better percussion track than most by just banging on his guitar from what I can tell.

and the low mids might be the room? is this the cafe again Erland?

Now here's something weird Erland, the levels actually sounded a little low on this. Could be my soundcard though. Don't have the option of listening through my monitors right now as I'm reconstructing my pseudo studio. Anyway, it's the first time I haven't heard your voice clip or distort from overloading.

And that solo at 1:36 sounds like something chrisharris would play.

your guitar sounds better than most bongos sound. great job. your a drummer aren't you?

A1A2 said:
this is the first thing on my to-do list when I get home :)

AL
Ditto... :D I look forward to being able to mindlessly gush over it... :p

But I'll be sure to say something mean too,... just to put the clinic back into "balance".

:p

:D

WATYF

Doesn't bore me at all. In fact just the opposite!

Good work!

I think the song is fine how it is. But it does seem the kind of song that you could do some different things with. But that might just be me getting ideas! That's a big problem I have with my solo stuff...I keep getting "ideas" and keep changing stuff and have a hard time completing anything.

Works for me! :cool:

Needs drums. :D

Naw, I was just tweaking eric.

I agree with eric that the vocals a little far back on this one. Nice harmony parts except for the section through 2:20-2:30 (what I'll call the "yelling section"). That didn't seem to work as well. But the more subtle harmonies were nice. The background "ooooo's" worked well.

I noticed a little oddity in the first section of the song. With the double tracked guitars, I could hear fret noise coming out of one side then the other, but not usually out of both sides at once. I didn't think the fret noise itself was distracting, but the fact that it would come out of one side then the other was a little weird. But only a little.

The rhythm thing tapped out on the guitar near the end worked well.

The song was pretty.

WATYF said:
Ditto... :D I look forward to being able to mindlessly gush over it... :p

But I'll be sure to say something mean too,... just to put the clinic back into "balance".

:p

WATYF

I am not sure what Mr. WATYF meant, but, here is my feeback

the guitars overpowers the vox here and there, especially with the low-mids. Maybe trying to mic away from the soundhole would help. That percussion made by I-don't-know-what sounds prety cool! Hitting on the git with fingers?
I can't hear the string like vox very well, did you mean it that way? I think it could come up a bit more.
Are you in Boston now, Erland?

AL

Erland,

Can't tell if you're looking for feedback on the song, production or the mix (or all the above).

I don't have any problems with the song. Good tune. I really enjoyed it.

The mix needs work - although I didn't have a problem with the the vocal level. Specifically, several spots distort - both the vocal and percussion. Overall the mix sounds "demo-ish" to me.

Production wise - again, sounded like you're trying to get some ideas down more than anything. Again, like a demo. It's partly due to the bg vocals that are meant to substitute for string instruments. I'd ask your cello player to drop in something instead ... LOL. I liked the percussion and I think it's a keeper.

Any plans of developing this further?

BPOCO

Pleasantly surprised.

Great song, I was waiting for the drums to kick in to a full band sound after verse #1.

It sounded great the way it was and you could also present this with a band and strings too as the sound hints.

The guit. tone was a little dull but otherwise loved everything.

Joe

Hey Erland,
Im at work so a decent mix check aint coming from me:). I am hearing a muddiness on the guits though. ...lower mids.... Its almost distracting on these speakers. Very well could be my listening source, but I compared it to "letter from NY" (one of my favs from you).... and there was definitely a difference. I'll hit this later at home.
Great song btw..... I enjoyed this alot :)
g

I'm instantly reminded of Simon And Garfunkel. Vocals are a bit quiet. I think the song is beautiful. Very nice vocal performance as well. I got sad listening to it! Nice harmonies! It seems to be recorded a bit hot...I hear some distortion. Really nice song man!

I basically agree with all the positives and negatives up to this point. boomy gtr, distortion, etc.

Nice tune, and not that repetive. I think it just needs some production and is in its raw form now. I do like the bongo sound stuff though.. that was nice. Also..the bg vocals are ok, if you have on headphones.. Otherwise they are too low in volume.

which finger did you use, btw?

A1A2 said:
I am not sure what Mr. WATYF meant...
It was an inside joke from a different thread... pay me no mind. :p

Anywhooo... I agree with most of the previous comments... (heavy mids, needs strings/full production, blah blah blah)...

Other than the EQ issues on the gits, I will say that I thought the percussion was a bit too loud. It could use to be taken back a tiny bit. (a little too upfront in the mix when it comes in)...

Other than that... I dunno... sounds great... nice full guitar sound... nice vocals... and no, it wasn't too repetitive. Nice and peaceful, man...

And what's up with you writing all these songs aboot American cities?? Are you implying that you might be visiting one of them sometime soon? If so, be sure to let me know which one, and the general time frame that you'll be there, so I can plan the abduction.

WATYF

yeah iam counted with the other fans as well......

however i will say the same lyrics over and over and over just didnt speak to me....that aside....

you have a beautiful voice ...the guitar parts as slim as they were worked i thought.....

jamal:)

Needs sax.........................

Another good song from you as usual. I don't think this sounds as good, recordingwise, as others I have heard from you. But it's a good tune; I agree, however, that it sounds like a work in progress.

I think if you scoop a bit of low-mids off the guitar, and add a bit of compression to the vocal you'll have this one in the bag.

Thank you Erland for a beautiful start to my day! The song is beautiful. These songs just seem to pop right out of you like dandilions in an open field, but what they give to people like me is a rush of sweet perfume from the most perfect rose.

I did however hear a bit of distortion, and the guitar seems recorded a bit loud to the left so I was hearing a little bit of breaking up on that side. Would the gain cause this? Your vocals, as usual, were great! And I loved the 'guitar-drum' sound.

Overall, the song is a masterpiece! Please don't ever stop writing and playing the wonderful tunes that make music one of the greatest pleasures in life.

Back