check this out.

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
after just kind of noodling around for a while I picked up a new guitar and decided that I'd give this another shot...
playing is sloppy (esp. in the break down) and I can always retrack but I feel like im definitely on the right track this time.
View attachment AKIA.mp3

Taking a second listen, I can tell that I over compressed the shit out of it and the bass seems kind of muddy.
I'll keep working at it. any other suggestions are welcome.

IDK man sounds pretty good yet Am listen on the home computer speakers.
Bass seems to fit the song.
Kick needs more definition thou - more depth?

Might just be me, but I think you could use to bring up the drums and bass a tad bit. Don't know if that helps you at all, but to me thats a start.

Hey I like this a lot. Great guitar sound, and the bass blends really well with it. Yeah you'll want to fix that miss near the start of the breakdown. I think the snare could crack more, otherwise mix sounds good from here

Not too bad. Guitars sound pretty good, although I think there's a little bit of midrange muck clouding them a little. The bass seems okay, but it and the kick are really boxy to me and they're not really thumping or holding down much of the low end. I mean, the guitars shouldn't be the dominant force in the low end and this mix seems like they are. It's close to me, it just seems like everything has been high passed. Maybe my ears aren't awake yet. The snare is really weak. Fix that. It needs more fatness and pop. Some pretty bad timing flubs. Not bad overall, just needs more tweaks with the bass, drums, and timing.

I retracked the whole thing, sounded much better but being the dumb ass that I am, I forgot to save it.
I agree the drums need attention, another person had mentioned that they weren't nearly punchy enough so I'm gonna tweak those a bit.

Thanks for the input guys!

I'll come back this evening with a re-tweaked mix.

Alright, I'm 99% sure that this is it. There may be a few flubs here and there but over all, much better.
I may have over done it on the low end, if I did maybe some of you with better rooms could point that out.

Have at it!

Last edited:
Hey KoP - So, is the link at top a new mix or the original one people commented on?

It sounds pretty good to me man. I like the guitar sound as it is sufficiently meaty.

I think the snare could be a little beefier though maybe? I can hear it fine level-wise, but it just sounds a little weak in terms of the tone.

I never rock out like this, so not the best to offer advice, but that's just what I noticed.

the most sound cloud post is the most recent mix. the one up top is the one that has been commented on. I'll work on my snare sound and I'm gonna start work on a diffrent

Ok, then I was listening to the original mix. :o

Forget my comments and I'll give the soundcloud post a listen. Not sure how I missed that!

Yeah, the soundcloud mix sounds pretty good too. It's a good bit quieter, but I had both mixes going back and forth and tried to adjust the volume to match as I switched.

I don't think you overdid it with the low end, but I am certainly not in a great room, so....

I'm gonna do some research on how to get some better drum sounds.
I just picked up a new bass and I have a mesa boogie mark IV on its way so once I get that I'm gonna start work on something different once I get the amp tweaked to my liking.

Lots of work for me ahead but it's definitely good to hear that I'm on the right track!!!!

I still think the drums could be more to the fore. It's especially noticeable after the intro where you solo the guitars. The drums should come back in bigger than they are. I think maybe the bass could be eating up some of your headroom.

Ya, my new bass is definitely different sounding than any bass i've had before. the low end is much more prominent and .... solid.
So drums need to come up a touch, or a lot? i'll low low shelf the bass a touch and bring it down and bump the drums up a touch for now. cymbals as well would you say?

Back