"Chasin' Chickens"

JohnnyAmato

Finally tracked the vocals for one of my songs on the waiting list. Took a much deserved break from the Laurie Green record I'm producing and tracked these vocals just last night, finished off the backgrounds today.

Mix was done entirely on my headphones for now, but I know them pretty well, so we'll see how it turns out. Will have to let it sit for a bit as deadlines are coming up for some of her mixes, so let me know what ya's think.

Chasin' Chickens | Johnny Amato

Last edited:
Finger licken picken. Sounds great. Guitar playing is fab. Great vocals too. Sounds polished in these headphones

I think its sounds pretty amazing. Great playing too. Nothing really sticks out to me as being harsh or ill-mixed. Love the drums and the tone of the gits.

Good singing and playing, goes without saying.

Mostly nitpicks here. I notice some strange inconsistencies in the levels of the lead guitars especially. Compare the lead in the intro with the lead guitars in the main solos, or the fills. Sometimes loud, sometimes soft.

Terrific guitar sounds all around. Great playing too. Kind of Jerry Reed like.

Bass could maybe be nudged up. Maybe. I dunno.

Vocal has a bit of cloudiness. THe instruments are so crystal clear, and the vocal is a bit of a contrast. You might want to try a narrow notch-out somewhere in the 300hz-600hz octave.

But overall it's really good.

q: how many punch-ins on the guitars? :)

very nice. I know someone said "more bass", but, unless it's my room, I'm hearing some low mid buildup. Are there some open strings ringing out frequently? Perhaps a couple of the guitars, in combo with the bass, are piling up in places. Nothing too noticeable. Hey, I had to give ya something!

Care to tell us how you recorded the guitars/bass?

very nice. I know someone said "more bass", but, unless it's my room, I'm hearing some low mid buildup. Are there some open strings ringing out frequently? Perhaps a couple of the guitars, in combo with the bass, are piling up in places. Nothing too noticeable. Hey, I had to give ya something!

Answer: More than I care to admit, but actually not as much as you would think. A lot of the leads, that main descending run mainly, were also played with the rhythm tracks on the right and left, and then tripled during the actual solos right down the middle. That's why sometimes the lead seems to get louder or quieter, like Robus said. It's just a first mix, and I did it on my headphones, so I'll get back in there soon to even it out a little more, and probably try some automated delay in spots to connect a lot of the lead fills a little smoother.

Guitar and bass was all direct with the GNX board, like always. I think I used variations of a '62 Bassman for the guitar tones, but can't quite remember. (I need to start notating these things!) They were all done with my '02 USA strat, with the David Gilmore EMGs, middle postion. Bass was the USA P-bass, as always. (I forget what amp setting though, probably was the Fender Showman through the Ash 4x10)

When I get back in there, I'll check for resonating frequencies also. Like I said, the mix was entirely done on headphones, so I easily could have missed something.

I actually wrote this tune about 12 years ago and used to play it live, just never recorded it. Finally recorded it about a year ago, and it's been sitting ever since, and I finally just did the vocal the other day.

Terrific guitar sounds all around. Great playing too. Kind of Jerry Reed like.

Bass could maybe be nudged up. Maybe. I dunno.

Vocal has a bit of cloudiness. THe instruments are so crystal clear, and the vocal is a bit of a contrast. You might want to try a narrow notch-out somewhere in the 300hz-600hz octave.

But overall it's really good.

Thanks TripM! This first mix was done entirely on my phones, so I easily could have missed that. I'll check it out.

Good singing and playing, goes without saying.

Mostly nitpicks here. I notice some strange inconsistencies in the levels of the lead guitars especially. Compare the lead in the intro with the lead guitars in the main solos, or the fills. Sometimes loud, sometimes soft.

Thanks Robus! A lot of the lead lines, especially the main descending one, were doubled and tripled, because they were also played with the rhythm tracks on the left and right. During the solos, they were tripled right down the middle, and even harmonized with in some spots. I'll definitely look into evening them out more. Thanks!

---------- Update ----------

Great sound! Got that Carl Perkins/early Beatles thing goin' on :cool:

Thanks Span!

I think its sounds pretty amazing. Great playing too. Nothing really sticks out to me as being harsh or ill-mixed. Love the drums and the tone of the gits.

Thanks Bruthish!

Finger licken picken. Sounds great. Guitar playing is fab. Great vocals too. Sounds polished in these headphones

Thanks a lot Bulls!

Great playing Johnny. I love the arrangement and your choice of where to incorporate guitar harmonies...very tastey. I think the mix was very balanced. Bass guitar shouldn't be very heavy in this style of tune IMO. It's a guitar driven song and the guitars are up front and dominating as they should be. There is always a choice you have to make...to either have a loud dominating bass guitar and kick drum mix or to have a loud dominating guitar mix....
It's very diffict to have both.
I think the mix has a great balance as is.
Great work johnny

very good picking. I agree with TripleM though. The bass seems a bit light on. I feel it needs to come forward to add drive punch to an already punchy track. But I might be a bit biased coming from a bass player lol. Great stuff.

I hear that low mid build up, too. Sounds like it's in the bass. I'd carve that up a bit to give it more definition.
The tempo/feel are a little rushed to me, too, Johnny.

Impressive playing for sure, i like the harmony playing, the playing is very accurate. I would expect a bit more twang from the guitar sound/more high end for this genre. I checked to see what you were playing-and yeah i think a tele is more appropriate for this kind of material. Though i have been watching some Danny Gatton recently so that might have something to do with that opinion. Overall i think the mix sounds good the balance is great, though overall it sounds a bit dull in the high end to me. However i think the mix you have would be safe for any system and would sound good anywhere. Vocal track is very strong-you are singing accurately with good confidence. Almost thought i heard a dukes of hazard reference somewhere in there! Nice job man!

Almost thought i heard a dukes of hazard reference somewhere in there! Nice job man!

Hmm, wasn't intentional!

Probably would have used a Tele if I had a really good USA, but my only Tele is actually a cheaper Squier. I have too many strats! Thanks for the input, Strat!

Back