Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: a CD I mixed....

Thanks

Exclamation a CD I mixed....

Sign in to disable this ad
    I just found out that there's samples, and one full song of the CD I mixed about half a year ago, available on the bands website.

This is recorded in a semi/pro to pro studio with very decent gear. (Remember that extremely big console I posted pictures of? This is it...)

So I'd really like to hear comments on this mix from all you guys.

The website is: http://www.cast-down.be/
    There, you go to discography, and it's at the bottom of the page, a short sample of each song, and one song completely.

You can see the studio and it's gear and the huge consolehere.

Let me know what you think of it all. Comments on the band are welcome too. I'm proud that I can say I started this band ages ago, not many of the local bands I like this much...

Thanks
    Hey,

I'm far too incompetent to offer any advice. I liked the mixing and the band. With all the dynamics in the "sandcastle"song, it must have been fun to mix.

Great job.

Theron

Thanks
    Yeah, the band is alot of fun to mix. I also mix them live... One of my favourite bands to mix. There's actually stuff happening all thru the songs, not the typical hardcore band that hardly has the faders moving...

Thanks
    BUMP!!

Come on... I really like to hear comments on this mix. This was done with decent gear, so everything that is wrong is my fault!

No possible excuses here! Kick me in the head! Go on!!!

Thanks

Thumbs up

I just found this thread. Good job dude. A little dry for my tastes but that's the trend for this style of music.

Thanks
    Thanks Track Rat!

Glad you like it. I like it too. Toms could've sounded a little better. But I'm pretty glad with it too.

The main complains I get about it is that it's not powerfull enough and that it doesn't sound compact enough. But I'm pretty happy with the open and pretty dynamical sound it has. Most of the people know the band from their live shows, which are ALOT more powerfull, and expected the cd to have that power too...

I'm gonne try and get a live recording of them online soon... A mix I did on a festival. Just taken from the mixer out I guess, but they told me it sounds pretty good. Except for the guitarsolo in the last song that I boosted a little too much. No way back once you've done that...

Thanks
    I don't know this style but it sounded tight and clean to me.
    The guitars overpower vocal and everything else but it's not realy a vocal anyway so maybe it's should be that way in this style of noi.. uh music (sorry just poking at you )

I'll try to listen at home on better headphones/speakers and see how it sounds. I want to comment on the mix but it's not the type of music I know so it's hard to say what it should be. I still think it would benefit if the drums could be "dug up" from under guitars somehow. This stuff is like pure "headbanging energy" and I think the recording and mix capture that.

cheers

Thanks
    Thanks!

It's not all that hard... I'm used to alot worse. Bad childhood aye.

The standard in this kindof music would be a more compressed sound I think. I don't know. I don't feel it needs any compression. We compared this with other Belgian low budget recordings (7 songs in 4 days. mixing and everything.) on a small boombox. This was the only mix that didn't sound as if it wasn't squeezed out of that small radio, but sounded as if it really filled the room.

Vocals are meant to more in the back. Any harder and they would've hit me in the head.

Thanks
    Well I am no expert on compression but it might be a nessesity for this type of music, otherwise that wall of guitars drowns everything else IMHO. I actualy listened through the whole song, the one that's complete .

There are some interesting things happening with guitar parts rythmicaly and musicaly (like at 1:05, 1:43, 2:35 etc). And I have to give the musicians credit for keeping it interesting. I think tighter sound (compression or maybe eq) would give those changes and parts more defenition.
    Againg this all MHO and comming form the outsider to this type of music.

And the vocal... uuuh, I just don't get it there is no melodic quality and you can't understand one word so what's the point.
    May be it's all attitude but that didn't come through in recording for me. It's probably better in live act where attitude comes accross better but this stuff just doesn't seem to have a "listen againg" quality to it. Sorry I just had to vent that one out of my system

cheers

PS Ah what'a heck I'll listen againg

Thanks
    sounds great to me.

I'll listen again when I get on my monitors.
    My mind is made up. Dont confuse me with facts.

The kind of girl I want, wants the kind of guy I'm not.

Thread Information