Cats

singlespeak

Somewhat funky, almost a song to dance to. A song about you, me, the collective, and illusionary democracies.

Fake drums galore. In fact everything but the guitars and the vocals is fake, technically speaking. Don't even bother typing "less is more', this one's beyond redemption. Fruit of the more=more dogma :D

Well, type what you want.

It's also an experiment in tweaking organs, to make them bad-ass.

I'm almost pleased with the mix but so far I've had nothing but good ideas from this forum and fresh ears would be great, so tell me: do you like cats?

More is more if it's moorish.
Good intro - I actually missed the FX'd vocals when the full vocal came in - not for long though as the main held my attention.
The solo needs a little more volume for the 1st third.
I really like the restart - the funky keyboard over on the side is cool.
I can't decide whether the vocals need to be a little clearer or not - my personal pref is for them to stay put but a lot of people like to be able to discern the lyrics without effort.
The "fake" drums aren't really an issue because a) they aren't that bad & b) they suit the piece.
It is a solid mass of sounds at times but I didn't find myself straining to make out anything specifically.
the answer to the question - I have no choice as my wife is the local cat lady!
I do like the song!

The solo needs a little more volume for the 1st third.
Now that's a fact. Fixing it is much more of a challenge than it seems though, I'm still in denial about it I guess.
I can't decide whether the vocals need to be a little clearer or not
I can't either. I'm sure it's a valid comment and following remarks on previous stuff I posted I did go back to it and upped the vocals somewhat. I get torn though, my instruments are really loud and just right there. To layer a clear vocal on top of them just seems wrong. So for now they're staying put.
The "fake" drums aren't really an issue because a) they aren't that bad & b) they suit the piece.
That's good news.
It is a solid mass of sounds at times but I didn't find myself straining to make out anything specifically.
I guess as long as the mass is a solid one it could be worse :p
the answer to the question - I have no choice as my wife is the local cat lady!
I do like the song!
Well there ya go, you answered both questions!

Thanks rayc, I appreciate your input.

Wow. This one really moves right along, doesn't it? I too like the intro...cool sound there, almost like a standup bass blended with a Doors-like organ sound. Simple, but effective.

I think it sounds great. There is a lot going on here of course, but I can pick out any given sound clearly at pretty much any time, so I think you're fine with separation and clarity and whatnot. I'm sure I'd tweak a few things here and there if this were mine, but anything would be merely based on preference.

I think this is absolutely your best mix so far that I've heard and probably my favorite tune too. Very original. Love your fake sounds!

I think your singing is starting to remind of that dude from the cure a little. just a similar delivery or something. Interesting blend of old and new here. :D

Really cool stuff! Outside the box--good! Love that piano when it creeps in....love the vocal effect....

Typing as I listen:

Cool intro. The drums sound cool too. The vocal effect fits well. The verse is neat. It's got a nice blend of synth sounds and stuff. Still, the drums sound good with the song.

Not really my style of music, but it sounded pretty good. :)

Real cool song. I really liked it.

The telephone voice could probably come up 2-3 dbs. Vocal after the lead break could probably come up a bit too.

I'm hearing some snaps/cracks in the vocal at 1:25 and 1:44.

Fake drums seemed to work fairly well. Better than they typically do anyway.

I think you should consider knocking a few db off the kit until 1:24: the big moment disappoints cuz the dynamic is level. The smash, anticipated, doesn't happen....things just get fuller, with no noticable level boost.

I can hear the thought going into mesh and groove, L&R. The melodies...which tend to sound improvised, could be a bit more lyrical.

Later in the song, there's a 'bridge'...a change in the progression not heard before. I think that should happen more often. At least a couple times. At the end of the verses [?] there's an opportunity to place a signature thing....between vocal. The tune could use a second melodic feature.

The wings are a little loud...overpowering CTR.

And, of utmost importance: listen to the tune. After 1:24, count "1, 2, 3, 4......."
note what plays on beats 2 and 4. Just a very weak snare.

In the top five rules of groove fabrication, is the 'ricochet' on the 2/4 beats. That's where groove is. Rock yer body while listening, and imagine claps or a real snappy snare on the 2/4's. You'll feel the ricochet....wanting to sling you into the next downbeat. Without that element in the rythm, songs tend to plod like Karen Carpenter could do funk.

Recording is real nice.....and the freq spec is very good.

@TripleM
Glad you liked it. Yeah vocal dbs... I'm mulling it over to be sure. I'll up it and run it through the monitors again.
You should change your nickname to "CrackleFinder" or "SnapDetector" or something like that. I have otosclerosis in both ears, practically deaf on the left side, so I'm very jealous of yours man, take good care of them. Thanks for the heads up.

@jeffmaher
Very happy with those suggestions. The contrast should indeed be bigger and the snare is quite flimsy now that you mention it.
The bridge does occur before the end, but just not that pronounced. It's in the intro and again in the solo. But I did expect a comment about variation so we're on the same page.

Thanks a lot.

Back