cat and wolf samples

B.SABBATH

hey dudes,

I used some cat and wolf samples, an EBow, and a pitch shifter... I also tried to layer some vocals in a few spots..

It's kinda scary and stupid sounding, but it's actually a pretty happy tune lyric wise..

Any mix suggestions would be appreciated..

thanks if you bother.

*wolves and cats*

www.nowhereradio.com/samij/singles

Hey dude,

I couldn't catch all the lyrics but this is a "mood piece" for the most part, so that isn't a really a mixing issue.
I do dig on the contrasting musical vibe vs. lyrical message thang. I've always thought that the formula packs a solid punch.
Your changes are warped and fluid as usual. Nice focus (or lack there of) and follow through with the canine/feline flavouring.
Your gits are always big and I liked the restraint you displayed on the intro. I don't know how you sing like that and still have a voice box! Surley, it is from years of subltle training and a strict regiment of warm ups.

Nice production and a pleasant ride inside your head.

Theron.

It's a little late for me...so a quickie comment or two. when I first saw it, I had to listen to your newest...so I put on the phones and cranked a little past my normal listening levels, ready for the enjoyment. the first couple of chords, I go..."hey...his guitar sound really sucks, and this sounds really homemade" tuned regular...sounds pale...what a bummer, what has happened to the Sab Man? Then whamo (about :30)....all is well. deceptive little beginning young man...some nice stuff... chapter 2 later....

oh...and beautiful chord changes/melody at the 2 min mark.... just fabulous.

I'd ask some questions, but you've been a prick!!:rolleyes: :D

Ok. Now you're losing it ;)

The guitar is evil as always, which I love. Maybe a bit overpowering, though. The vocals sound very much like Ozzy this time. Pay attention to the drum playing, though. It's steady, but you could do a few fills here and there, rather than only doing a crash cymbal periodically. Of course, I'm being harsh. I guess I'm judging every song the same, whether it's home made or if I heard one from radio (which I rarely listen to). You don't have nothing to worry. I'm being overly critical, and I make the same mistakes as everybody else. I just don't notice my own ones ;)

As for the singing, you're a good singer. Just don't harmonise every vocal line, since the effect gets old if you use it everywhere and in every song. You don't have to hide your voice in the mix, because it's great.

The song is good. The laughs and screams sound weird, but that's more like your trademark, so it doesn't matter. The changes work here much better compared to your previous one. Of course that one wasn't finished, but anyway.

[/Hippie voice on]

I dig your tune, man.

[/Hippie voice off]

thanks dudes..:D

theron - Yours are the first ears to have heard it other than my own...:D no training or warm ups.. As a matter of fact, I recorded the vocals as I was writing them.. I loop one section at a time and start trying to think of lyrics as I'm in record mode.. With the exception of the first verse, I improvised all the lyrics while recording.. Thanks for checkin it out.. I'm looking forward to our collaboration.. :cool: That should be cool.. I'll email you later..

mixmkr - It was pretty late when I put this up. I worked on it for two days straight almost non stop.. I gotcha with the beginning eh?? :D I have been seriously thinking about getting some mastering tools, I think it would help.. glad you thought it was decent. Please ask any questions or drop any suggestions you might have.. it's always appreciated dude..:cool:

Cranky One - Yeah I'm losing it fast..:D I thought this was almost a vocal up mix.. It sounds like your saying the vox are too low... As far as the drums, I played 90% of it, and the other parts were a straight drum machine beat.. You can hear the differences if you listen close.. I knew you would notice.. I'm still working some things out with my sound.. I am glad you are so critical... It helps me try harder... Thanks. :cool: What do you mean bout the guitar being overpowering? Is it too loud? SO what's up with the collaboration? Are you recording some guitar for Lt. Bob? I'm supposed to be sending him some drum tracks... We really do have to collaborate on some seriously dark and heavy music....:cool:

thanks again..

B.SABBATH said:
It sounds like your saying the vox are too low...

Yeah. Or maybe it just needs EQ'ing to make it more upfront. That's just me.

I am glad you are so critical... It helps me try harder... Thanks.

You know me :) You can't really improve if you have too many sugar-coated reviews at this point ;)

What do you mean bout the guitar being overpowering? Is it too loud?

You could try lowering the volume OR you could try using some EQ. I have the same problem with guitars. I like them to be heavy, but then they tend to hog all the bass frequencies for themselves. Still, try lowering some of them low frequencies. Not much, but a little. The sound isn't exactly bad, so I'm not sure if you should EQ it or not. It's really up to you.

SO what's up with the collaboration? Are you recording some guitar for Lt. Bob? I'm supposed to be sending him some drum tracks... We really do have to collaborate on some seriously dark and heavy music....:cool:

I think Lt. Bob agreed for me to do some guitar work. Not solo guitar, but rhythm stuff. I haven't heard more about that (or should I know ??). I haven't really paid attention to the other threads, so if we're doing something, I wanna know. Or maybe you just wanted to know if I'm still gonna do that, because if it's that, then I'll say I will certainly want to do the collaboration thing. I'm really interested in this. I hope something good will come out of this. Or at least I hope everybody will have a great time doing this.

Hmmm... Did I make any sense?

When I first cranked this one up, I thought--"oh, I'm not gonna like this." But there was so much going on that kept my ear interested, so I let it go. It just got better and better. Next thing I know, I'm saying "Hey! I like this! Then-- I love this! Its cool!"

The whole recording is interesting. Unusual and effective chord changes and sounds. The guitar solo at 3 minutes in is so freakin' right. B, you did a marvelous job on this. This genre is not my taste and you won me over. I think that says something about how inventive you are.

Rock on, lad! Great tune!

No critiques to add--good listen! phat guitar sounds-interesting changes-I like the harmony vox-you need to get this on a halloween compilation or a horror movie soundtrack heh. Keep up the good work homeboy (ex suffolk county here). Strat

Pardon my American. THIS IS FUCKIN COOL. Still listening...

Ok it's still fuckin cool.

Ok, no wait...

OK, It's fuckin cool.

I am seriously impressed! This is what modern hard rock is lacking...DYNAMICS. Why do so few hard rockers care about dynamics?
Nice job bro. If you don't mind I'm gonna save this, and if you update it let me know.

Cool

Cool guitars, cool sound effects, cool changes and cool vocal effects.

Geez, if you don't like this song, just wait 30 seconds and it'll change into something that you do. :D

How did you do those vocals in the verses? That sort of delay/echo effect sounded awesome. Fit the song perfectly.

cool responses.:D thanks dudes!

Triple M - That was a Digitech Vocal 300 ($200) and I barely altered the 'thickening' patch... I also sent it through a Blue Max compressor and a BBE Sonic Maiximizer..(small amount of BBE) I added a little reverb from the built in effects of the recorder...(Tascam 788 portastudio) The mic is a piece of garbage, so I imagine it being better with a 58 or something...thanks man

Cranky One - thanks for the detailed response. I will contact you soon by P.M.

Track Rat , crawdad, Stratomaster, SLuiCe, - appreciate the positive feedback :).... No one heard this tune before I posted it here.. I thought this song may have been bad....and when I say bad, I mean not good to anyone but me.... I truly appreciate your comments..:cool:

Pure Evil!

Dude, you had some really nice stuff happening in this tune. I really love the way you add different changes to many of your songs. This one is no exception.

You really keep it interesting with the chord progressions, and I like your processed vocals.

The only thing I would have liked would maybe be the drums a bit louder in the mix. They kind of sounded a little bit too far away on my "lo-fi" system. I'm sure it sounds better on yours, but that would be the only thing I would have to say about the actual mix.

I really dug your use of sound effects, the cats were a nice touch. I love that little synthesized "therimin" sound you have going on in there.

This would be a great track to have playing in the background during Halloween (I am writing this as I am listening and this is what I am thinking of).

By the way, did you ever add anything more to your collaboration with Lt. Bob? There might be another thread somewhere, but I haven't seen it.

Keep up the good (and interesting) work!

My compliments!

Late to the game here, but that was really cool shit! Havn't had the chance to hear any of your other stuff, but this was really nice. Sort of Trent Reznor meets Ozzy.

I like the wolf and cat samples, but I would like to hear more "howling". ( Must be the Ozzy lover in me). Yeah, and i KNOW that it may a bit "cliche" but that what my ear wanted to hear, once I got used to the style. Maybe style is not the correct word but once I got used to the idea that there would not be NORMAL change as the song progressed.

Great musicianship.

jerod

boydrj - thanks man.... The 'therimin' sound was actually a guitar. I was using an EBow and a pitchshifter, and the guitar was tuned to C#.. I'm working on something new for Lt. Bob that will be a bit different.. I am sending drum tracks to him, and he's going to add the rest.. I think a few others are getting in on it as well.. thanks for the good comments..

jerod - thanks.. Yeah I like Ozzy a little..:D Maybe a few more howls would fit well.. I tried to leave some space for mood enhancement.... or lack of... Thanks for checkin it out.. If you hear any of my other tunes, I hope you dont get too dissappointed.. Each one has something different that is wrong with it..

thanks again dudes! Your comments are appreciated..........really.:cool: :)

B

Sabbath....you are one awesomely creative dude! That is a very cool song, as all your songs are. I don't think I agree that the guitars are too much, at least on my system. But the vocals are a little lost in the mix. I'd like to hear them better. Also, I would like to hear the cat and wolf sounds a bit clearer and I agree with Jerod about the howling. I kept expecting to hear the wolves howl and it never happenned. I think it's amazing the way you switch from one groove to another so smoothly.

Hey crankyone, I haven't forgotten. I'm just swamped right now and also I'm waiting for Sabbath to get me those drum tracks. I think they're the ones I'll use for the group collaboration. I'm still looking for a couple more players. Do you guys know anyone here that would be interested?

Once again.......great tune! How long were you hoarse after doing it? :D

LOL...LOL...you are the cut and paste whore,insiders know secrets are for the elite and spilled beans can cause opinionated ears.Halloween scary sounds,I'll keep your treasures in my chest and you can come dig them out of the hole when your old and gray.Bedfellows make strange friends wouldn't you agree...some of them most vile.

Lt. Bob - thanks dude.. :D The creativity comes from not having anything better to do with my free time.. Anyone with no life can do the same..:D I'll be doing some stuff this weekend I hope, so I will be in touch next week sometime.. I may have to add more stuff to this eh? I thought this was a vocal up mix:confused: Appreciate your insight as always Lt... talk to you later :cool:

W.I.S.C. - I have never cut and pasted anything, but thanks for the comments.. I think I know who you are.... SO STOP IT!!

SLuiCe - :cool:

dudes!:cool: :D thanks!

This track is so cool I had to stop in for another fix! If I start biting heads off small rodents, I'm blamin' you B! :D

Lt. Bob--I'm game for playing on anything if you need some lead guitar.

Back