Careful with that asterisk, Eugene / mp3 upload problem solved, again, I think.

Fmmahoganyrush

Pleads the 5th...
I realize this is probably something everyone knows already, however, it's been a HUGE stumbling block for me this past month. I've been attempting to upload my first mp3 files, and experiencing all sorts of problems, from servers crapping out on me, to every error message in the book. Many of these errors indicated that for some reason I didn't have "permission" to upload these files to my site. I finally took the time to see exactly where in the process the uploads were sh#tting the bed, and found that I was using invalid or unrecognized characters in the file names. The long & short of this is that when you name a file, if the name is more than one word-underscore the spaces between the words; If there's punctuation characters in the name-leave 'em out. I don't know if this helps anybody out there, but, as for me, I can cancel that script for Valium.

One other thing. I found that although the character stuff had a lot to do with FTP. The REAL problem I was experiencing all came down to the fact that I'm probably the last person on this earth trying to upload stuff using AOL as my service provider. I used IE to upload my stuff onto mp3.com and it worked like a charm. I've subsequenyly taken all of my AOL program disks, made a small wooden boat, put them on it, set it on fire, and floated it out into the midle of a nearby pond to send them to Valhalla. I know they won't want them either, I just hope Thor can take a joke.

Back