Canta Minha Alma - Funk Groove Jazz fusion Track

I dig the tune. Fusion is a hard genre to pull off. Couple personal preferences:

1) I'd ditch the initial piano fooling around, and come in on crescendoing piano chords.

2) For this type of music. I'd like to hear a more "fusiony" drumming. Which to me is one with impeccable timing, and more noodling around during the song, and when it's time for a real fill, then he really really let's loose. The drummer sounds pretty good, but pulling it together so that the timing is absolutely dead nuts on I think would add a lot to the song (especially during fills, breaks, and weird rhythm sections). But then again, maybe I'm just being too picky as I just saw Dave Weckl play with the Chic Corea Elektric Band not too long ago :D lol

ok.....ithink what your doing is cool....but if you want to pull this off you want to dirty the whole thing up a bit......get a bit sloppy because at the moment its sounds too clinical midi......hope that makes some sense.

what you mean by midi? everything is live by real musicians. Audio from keys was recorded from a motif. Is it the sound your mentioning. Sounds Midish?

I think the mix sounds pretty good. bass gets a little lost at times, and the keys can be a bit overpowering at times, but for the most part is sounds good.

I like this tune a lot, but I can see the midi reference. i think the tones and sounds are good, but at times it can be a bit "perfect" in the tone and timing department. a bit mechanical. I agree with previous post. get sloppy in parts!

great key chops.
tight bass, i could use more in parts, though. it does kind of get lost in the mix occasionally.
also, props to the drummer.:)

thanks all for the great comments, I guess I have to work on my chops I'm the drummer!!! hehehehehehe, this was recorded a while back as a demo and we've been playing ever since, we should be hitting the studio for real starting next week, and I'll definately keep those comments in mind while we rehearse for the session. Bass did get lost, he kinda messed up a few notes hehehehehehehe, we weren't expecting the keyboard player to suck out so much of us. Any more details on the mix itself, too much too little of x, not enough of this, too much of that. Now trying to figure out what you guys are mentioning about the actual "midiness" of the tune, is the tune too perfect in timing is that it? I always thought good timing was good!!! Oh and I just realized after talking to the keys player that the piano wasn't a motif, but indeed ivory though a controller. I completely forgot about that, the whole idea was to test out ivory with one of our tunes.

thank you soo much. This was recorded about a year ago, when we hit the studio again, I hope that you'll be able to see an improvement!

Back