Can't play guitar..

F_cksia

..and that's actually no problem at all, I just can't set an amp to a nice sound. It always stays harsh and all.
It's quite logical, knowing that I'm actually a pianist/ drummer but I think a little (or a lot) knowledge on sounding a guitar-amp good without the guitarist's help is really necessary.

To demonstrate how it sounds now I made a very cheesy kindof 'song', just 3 chords and stuff, so no comments about the song please, just about what lacks about the guitarampsettings.

I made a quick recording of the amp (Marshall Valvestate) with a Rode NT1, and cut off some of the lower freqs.

Is it also possible it's the guitar? Please help a frustrated non-guitarist out. Thanks!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2755/singles
it's the middle one.

I'm primarily a guitarist.... and my songs have a very wide variety of guitar tones. I think when you start talking about guitar tone you have to talk about preamps and processors.

The type of guitar impacts the tone hugely.... but even some lousy guitars can sound really good through the right stuff.

I tend to think of my amp as neutral or flat and then change the tone with effects. Especially true if recording from effects direct.

For micing my amp "63 blackface Bandmaster", I prefer an SM57 to a condenser mic.

What do you mean by harsh? If you mean distorted, you may need to reduce the gain down to its lowest setting and just ride the volume switch on the amp.

Well it didn't sound all that awful to me.

I'm hearing more harsh midrange in the distorted guitar on the right side. Not sure what you have available on your amp, but I would turn down the mid and/or high dials. Maybe boost the bass. There are some nice inexpensive preamps that can help make a nicer sound.

The left side sounded better - unless I'm going crazy.

Looking on the meters, there's a lot of content in the 2500hz-3000hz range, again it seems to come more from the right side.

The piano is a bit forward in the mix. If you pulled back the fader on it, it would make listening to the guits somewhat easier.

Again, I don't think you're too far from a good sounding guitar sound. Just my thoughts to maybe get it closer.

Yes. It's something called the "DSP Sepctrum Analyzer" - http://spectool.mastak.com/ It's an addon to Winamp. It's not the greatest thing in the world, and I don't rely on it too much. But in this particular case, I thought the information was valuable.

Well. . . every guitarist I have ever known hates the Marshall Valvestate for just that reason. They are just too hard to get a good sound from. Maybe for a good lead sound that cuts, but otherwise, NO!

Maybe you could check out a used Fender Bassman or Fender Twin Reverb. Those will give you a nice clean sound and a nice chunk. They are very versatile amps and can be had for around $500.

In fact my roomate is selling a 69 Bassman, but it needs to be recapped. Seriously, this is one situation where I can pretty much gaurentee that it is the amp!!

Beez

F,I'm guitarist by trade and I think{playin} it works just stay in your own groove man..The attitude of the playin was pretty cool....like Beezoboy said that amp is kinda...well shrill and gritty...I think a different amp would help..Sounds man... if it aint there the mic can't hear it

Don

This is not terrible...but you coulda at least put some vox on it and your drummer need timming lessons.The recording sound a bit dull.The piano is the crispest part.Guitar sound is gawdawful...Bass not bad.That 1-finger-piano part is killin me...lol!That's the hook!Keep that and do the rest over.Don't make this song about a chick!!!!!

hm.. don't care about the 'song', I really just made it up while playing, it was just for demonstrating how sucky the guitar sounds in a band environment supporting a lead track, that's why I just hammered some tones in on the piano.

Seriously man, trade that thing in on a fender and you won't look back. Hell, even a Peavey Classic would sound better. My roomate/guitarist has an ashdown amp that sounds great! You might check into that company as well.

Seriously, just about ANYTHING tube will beat that Valvestate!

Beez

If you're talking about live, then that's a whole 100 page thread can of worms...but if you're talking about tones for recording, look around the web for a little piece of software called "Revalver." After hearing some pretty amazing guitar sounds being created by people playing Fender Squires (lol) plugged right into the soundcard, I downloaded a trial version of it recently. I've been pretty amazed. It somehow converts that harsh, shrill DI'd tone into something that, to my ears, is WAY less than offensive. I haven't posted anything with it, b/c it's a trial version, and it leaves audible BEEPs intermittetently throughout the track when you save it, but even WITH the beeps, lol...it's better than what I had.

I'm not saying it's as good as "the real deal," but I've struggled with electric tones long enough. Also, I'd never have the discipline to set up 5 filters in a guitar rack, but the software makes it easy. I'm buying this software, lol.

Anyway, it costs nothing to try. Good luck.

Okay, this may be stupid, but I took aobut 10 minutes and recorded something using 4 different "Revalver" presets.

I didn't spend anytime EQ'ing anything, and these are just random presets that I hit, but there are as many different amps and parameters as you can tweak, lol.

THIS IS AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR, RUN THROUGH "REVALVER" and I didn't use a pick...about a minute long.

"4 REVALVER PRESETS"
www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles

Back