Canon in D

Nice playing there man.
Good sound.

great work.
Check out Aphrodithes Child; Rain and tears, you`ll be in for a treat. :)

Monkey Allen said:
That sounds very nice, but maybe a bit reverby in my headphones. What's your recording set up?

Thanks for the nice comments. I did this one a while ago, so I'm not exactly sure but I think it was done with a pair of MXL603's one pointed at the 12th fret, one at the bridge from over my shoulder. Could have been a Oktava 319 on the bridge instead though. Both mics went through M-Audio Octane preamps and converters, recorded into Protools LE. The reverb is the crappy digiverb that comes with Protools :o.

Really Great - see my comments on this on your Rhapsody thread...mic placement is cool - so you hear what the player hears.... Excellent :D

hey dude
nice playing - good separation and articulation of voices. lots of finger squeak! you must drag your fingers quite a bit. to me that is very distracting, but not a problem for many. if you want to try and tame it, practice "tension dumping" as i have heard classical players call it - basically relax completely in between hand positions, move and replace your position before flexing your hand again. it is like three separate stages of movement, but highly effective for increasing your undurance and agility and speed while minimizing squeaks since you won't be dragging your fingers with pressure on the strings.

btw - i wrote a x'mas song over the canon in d progression with one minor change - i took the minor iii chord and made it a major III. check it out on my site if you get a chance and give me some feedback.

keep up the great playing
peace

lotuscent said:
hey dude
nice playing - good separation and articulation of voices. lots of finger squeak! you must drag your fingers quite a bit. to me that is very distracting, but not a problem for many. if you want to try and tame it, practice "tension dumping" as i have heard classical players call it - basically relax completely in between hand positions, move and replace your position before flexing your hand again. it is like three separate stages of movement, but highly effective for increasing your undurance and agility and speed while minimizing squeaks since you won't be dragging your fingers with pressure on the strings.

btw - i wrote a x'mas song over the canon in d progression with one minor change - i took the minor iii chord and made it a major III. check it out on my site if you get a chance and give me some feedback.

keep up the great playing
peace

Thanks for the tip and comments. The squeaks bother me a little too, I added just a touch of EQ that made the guitar sound better, but brought out the squeaks even more. Gotta remember to soak my hands next time :D.

lotuscent said:
Matt, just listened to your song. I like it a lot. The major III (first thing I thought of was blues traveller's "hook" ) change is cool. Nice singing and harmony and counterpoint between the two vocals is really cool, I like how they break off and then come back together.

Hey, I was expecting a multitracked 4-gtr thing - but it's a solo! I like your arrangement. I've played this in a gtr trio and duo and think your arrangement makes good use of the catchy tuneful phrases... and was smart to stay away from the rapid parallel voice movement that happens in the original with the canonic parts that would tend to stifle the flow in a solo. Smart arranging and nicely played.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
and was smart to stay away from the rapid parallel voice movement that happens in the original with the canonic parts that would tend to stifle the flow in a solo. Smart arranging and nicely played.

Tim
Um thanks? :D
Actually I got the arrangement from Harmony Central/olga tab, and just tweaked a couple little things, fingerings etc. And yes I agree it's a nice, clever arrangement, it's a fun one to play too.

It's always good to hear a nice acoustic piece. I really like the sound of the guitar. Right now I'm stuck with mono recording until another pre-amp gets added to my rack.
Oh yeah...good playing too ;)

sounds good man, it puts me in the holiday spirit. nice playing
lots of good comments here that are right on. Just watch some of the pitches on the bass notes.

reshp1 said:
Matt, just listened to your song. I like it a lot. The major III (first thing I thought of was blues traveller's "hook" ) change is cool. Nice singing and harmony and counterpoint between the two vocals is really cool, I like how they break off and then come back together.

thanks, the major III gives that leading tone to c#minor....

B# everyone!!! IT DOES EXIST

http://mattyaki.com/tunes.cfm

Um thanks? :D
heh-heh, I meant the comment about the changes in the rapid parallel parts in a good way. Even just the 16th note runs would be awkward for a soloist to play in parallel 3rds - while easy for an ensemble. And forget about the 32nd notes. The solo arr as it is keeps the natural flow of the lines.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
heh-heh, I meant the comment about the changes in the rapid parallel parts in a good way. Even just the 16th note runs would be awkward for a soloist to play in parallel 3rds - while easy for an ensemble. And forget about the 32nd notes. The solo arr as it is keeps the natural flow of the lines.

Tim

Haha, I knew what you meant, it just went way over my head at first glance. :D

Back