Can you review my mix? - a basic hardcore song

Hubbawho

Hey everyone, I just recorded these guys 2 days ago and I "finished" mixing 1 song. I'd like you all to review it before I attempt to go any further. The song is on their myspace...it's the first one entitled, "To The Face".

www.myspace.com/hyoct

Just let me know what to change...thanks

Very good, in your face sound.....Vocals could be up in the mix a little. They are a bit hard to hear when all the music is playing. Cool tune.
Ed

It's hard to judge stuff like this, because I know it's customerary to brickwall limit and drive the piss out of them, but to me, it sometimes drives the life out of a piece. This is such a "wall of sound" that it's really hard to talk about nuances of production, there really aren't any; it's just all right in your face. And that may in fact be entirely appropriate for the genre. I'm no expert at hardcore. It did sound a bit rich in the very low mids, a bit thin from 1-3K, and the drummer needs to tighten up control on the double pedaling some, the 2nd foot rushes quite a bit on all the speed patterns. The guitarist is on the money.

For what I've heard of the genre, it's certainly a fine example in comparison to some of the crap I've heard. It sounds like you put a lot of effort into it, it's not just chucked together pellmell.

Sounds good... It's cool that there are still CT Hardcore bands around. I'm from CT and was really into hardcore back in 97 to about 2000 or so... It definately has that CT Hardcore sound, even the recording. Good job on it.

Now see, there you go. I had no idea that hardcore had regional dialect. That's good to hear, that there are fans that can spot that in a band's sound... I learned something today. Monkeymanx, how does CT hardcore sound different than other areas? Is it a certain nuance to the sound that's almost indescribably, like "Seattle grunge"? And I'm completely serious, I'd like to know. I'm a jazz guy, and I don't know crap about this stuff.

CT Hardcore always had that Raw in your face sound. That is what this reminds me of. Hatebreed is one of those bands from CT that made it, and pumped out a bunch of albums... That same Raw in your face stuff... I remember some of my bands and other local bands had that same sound.

Cool; Thanks for the tip! It sounded like some local Industrial bands I've heard, and I wondered what the difference between "hardcore" and "industrial" is; seems like it's a live drummer that is the main thing.

theres so many different styles of hardcore to say it has a region. its fact, however, that most tough guy mosh crap come sfrom up north. down south a little bit you get the more straight up punk sound, and out west you're bound to hear some quirky new age stuff. but every state probably has at least one band representing every different style of hardcore/punk music.

Wow thanks overall. I mean let me say, I completely agree and understand what you mean about the brick wall limiting. So it was completely intentional and pushed to the extreme, however, I don't like that sound on MY music. But it fits this style exactly for the reason you said, "it's supposed to be in your face". Personally, I think overcompressing music is becoming a sad trend, however, I needed to follow that trend in order to offer the same product. Hope that makes sense...

Last edited:
yeah I've heard. It's almost impossible today to listen to a top 40 song without hearing "un-natural" compression. One example, even though I'm an extreme fan of this band, is System of a Down's latest releases. They're so overcompressed I can hear it dancing on the line of digital cipping.

Back