Can you listen to my songs? (youtube links, final product)

rfpd

So, this year I've produced, mixed and mastered my own songs, although I can't really be objective about it. I was just listening and realised I wanted some external opinion from more people in music. I guess I'll just start using fiverr for mixing, I mean too much of an headache, too subjective. It's in portuguese, "Paradoxo", "Jerónimo" and "Glutão".

Evil Ash - YouTube

Evil Ash - Paradoxo (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Is the snare too loud on this one or is it acceptable?
Seems to intrude a bit. I have to listen again on a real system (wife borrowed my downstairs headphones so listening on old iPod earbuds), but the timbre of the instrument (if it's a real snare) is not my favorite.

The MP3 forum is a better place to get mix evaluation because you can attach a high quality MP3. No matter what was in your video when you uploaded it, I can assure you it's probably been squashed and some stuff lost at the edges by YouTube.

I'd say the guitars a very very widely panned, i would've brought them back inside a little bit, the synth part towards the middle is a bit loud, like it's really popping out hard from the mix, i would've tried a different approach to make it "in your face" without poking out too much.

I appreciate someone who puts time in his work tho and you absolutely did, respect!

Seems to intrude a bit. I have to listen again on a real system (wife borrowed my downstairs headphones so listening on old iPod earbuds), but the timbre of the instrument (if it's a real snare) is not my favorite.

The MP3 forum is a better place to get mix evaluation because you can attach a high quality MP3. No matter what was in your video when you uploaded it, I can assure you it's probably been squashed and some stuff lost at the edges by YouTube.

Thanks for the answer, I basically screwed up the song, because of a snare. I can't understand how I didn't notice it, can't stop thinking about it.

I'd say the guitars a very very widely panned, i would've brought them back inside a little bit, the synth part towards the middle is a bit loud, like it's really popping out hard from the mix, i would've tried a different approach to make it "in your face" without poking out too much.

I appreciate someone who puts time in his work tho and you absolutely did, respect!

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in case I do an accoustic version. Perhaps will re-record everything, I'm really not happy with this version, and worse, just the feeling I ruined the song...

When the tremolo guitar enters at 1:28 it is quite jarring. It sounds good but way too loud for this sweet mello tune.

When the tremolo guitar enters at 1:28 it is quite jarring. It sounds good but way too loud for this sweet mello tune.

At least I'm glad you guys aren't complaining much about the snare, because that's what bugging me off the most :D

Perhaps I'll just remix it accoustic, I'll go on fiverr or something. I always want do to things fast, and though I know the minimals of mixing, I should be more patient, which I can't in my own songs. Better stick to producing. Sorry for being a pain in the ass, just can't forgive myself for that loud snare, in my head it's "unhearable". Don't know how I didn't notice it, oh well.

Last edited:
Ok, yeah I get the snare as being out of place and takes away from the song.

That can't be too hard to take care of. I personally would have gone with a more organic snare sound, but not my baby.

I really do like the smooth feel of the vocals. Song has a cool vibe. The snare/clack is just kind of distracting and doesn't seem to fit the mood.

Just gave it a listen, and the "snare" sound really does bug me. It sounds too much like a woodblock on top of a snare than a real drum. And the tremolo solo is much too loud compared to the rest of the track. Otherwise, I like the song. I think if it was mine, I would be looking to put some harmonies on the fade out, maybe with a female voice. There's a nice groove going on there, and some vocal harmonies or counterpoint could really work.

Ok, yeah I get the snare as being out of place and takes away from the song.

That can't be too hard to take care of. I personally would have gone with a more organic snare sound, but not my baby.

I really do like the smooth feel of the vocals. Song has a cool vibe. The snare/clack is just kind of distracting and doesn't seem to fit the mood.

Would've been easy, youtube is horrible with processing audio, it lets you replace with one of their copyright free songs but you can't replace it with one of your own, not even apply some basic eq. Basically I just got accept I was dumb, seriously even a deaf would've noticed that annoying snare. I'll just release an accoustic version of this, and try to forget about it...

Not a fan of how the acoustic sounds in this, and at 0:58 and again at 2:24, it splits to left and right - with a doubler, maybe? Have you checked this mix in mono, it might have a phase problem. The mix ends abruptly, and has 8 seconds of silence at the start that could be trimmed, I guess this is where you removed the original drum part?

Would've been easy, youtube is horrible with processing audio, it lets you replace with one of their copyright free songs but you can't replace it with one of your own, not even apply some basic eq. Basically I just got accept I was dumb, seriously even a deaf would've noticed that annoying snare. I'll just release an accoustic version of this, and try to forget about it...
Many DAWs will let you trigger a different snare from an existing track, so you could still have a [different] snare (or hand clap, foot stomp, taiko drum, whatever). I'd consider ducking it against the vocal slightly, too.

Not a fan of how the acoustic sounds in this, and at 0:58 and again at 2:24, it splits to left and right - with a doubler, maybe? Have you checked this mix in mono, it might have a phase problem. The mix ends abruptly, and has 8 seconds of silence at the start that could be trimmed, I guess this is where you removed the original drum part?

Yes it is, I exported it a few months ago, meanwhile I lost the files :D. It's the original with the guitar and vocals exported basically, the guitar has a stereo enchacer which delays the Right or Left (don't quite remember which).

This one is not meant to be released, just in order to compare and to 'isolate' the synth and the drums. I think it sounds better than the original, I might just give this to a mixer with no drums and synth, keep the natural part of it.

I had a listen and you've got a nice vibe going on with this song and like others said, you could try working some backing harmonies in at the outro and elsewhere. I tend to listen out for song craft and interesting lyrics on this forum and less concerned about how loud a snare is (for example) as that sort of thing is largely subjective. On this occasion however, that snare is definitely not the one for you, or this song...surely you can work a new drum track over the top and get rid though rather than lose sleep over a bad snare sound! Nice work.

Mark

Yes, I think the tremolo guitar sounds very out of place and wayy too loud when it comes in. Instead, I think a subtle crunchy/distorted type of ambient guitar plucking idea would have sounded much nicer (especially if it was panned to the sides so as not to demand too much attention but to just support the song's vibe) and it might even sound great when the vocals are happening. I may be wrong though.

It's definitely a good song though with a nice melody...enjoyed listening to it!

Honestly, I don't think there was much wrong with the original. As others have mentioned a different/slightly less harsh sounding snare might have sat nicer in the track, and the guitar solo bit needs bringing down, but if you could do those two things then it's fine. I know other people have said to lose/change the guitar solo, but you have kind of an interesting mix of styles going on with the style of guitar and the synth and the effect on your vocals. having a guitar solo that is "different" isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would look at dropping the volume so it's more of a background harmonising solo, rather than have it at the front of the mix. Maybe put a harmonising vocal over it (not words, just gentle laid back "ahh's" layered over it).

If you are going to do a straight acoustic mix of it though, then I would probably recommend starting from scratch rather than trying to work around what you already have.

Yes, I think the tremolo guitar sounds very out of place and wayy too loud when it comes in. Instead, I think a subtle crunchy/distorted type of ambient guitar plucking idea would have sounded much nicer (especially if it was panned to the sides so as not to demand too much attention but to just support the song's vibe) and it might even sound great when the vocals are happening. I may be wrong though.

It's definitely a good song though with a nice melody...enjoyed listening to it!

Thank you so much :)

Back