can you criticize my song and mix ?

Nola

i invited a girl off the street to help me sing it because i had a frog in my throat and had to keep clearing it out (at one point in the mix is clear my throat and you can hear it is that unprofessional and ruin the mix?). she was a good sport i guess since she didn't know me or the song.

if the song or mix stinks can you let me know so i know if i should change careers? thanks

https://soundcloud.com/nolanso1/im-depressed

Nola, I listened to all 3 of your songs on soundcloud. This was the best one, imo. Great song. The vocal is weak -- ditch the girl and sing it yourself. Your voice is booming and has a Nick Cave thing going on. Wait until the frog is gone and retrack it. The lyrics are so good. The lyrics on the Boriss Karloff song are also excellent. Genital Warts...I could do without. It's funny, and I like the 6/8 feel of it, but it's a one-trick pony type of song.

Some weird sounds -- on Boriss, the bass sounds like a keyboard. I say this because it sustains way longer than a real bass and has a popping attack. On I'm Depressed, the electric guitar has a mid range boxy sound that makes me think it's an acoustic guitar that you put an electric guitar effect on? Just doesn't sound electric. But it's cool sounding.

No, don't quit. Woh woh woh woh woh write more songs, because two of the three you posted are gems. They would benefit from retracking, maybe, but maybe not since they're awesome as is.

thanks for encouraging me 4-tracker and thanks for telling me to turn up the girl's voice, dobro

I like the song and the feel, but sometimes it does go out of time in various places which is quite distracting. It sounds like the drums are out to be honest. The girl has potential to have a real nice voice, but not as yet, she reminds me of Meg White when she sings in The White Stripes.

Clearing your throat sounds very unprofessional even for a home recording. If you are serious about the girl, you should get the girl to practice and learn the song better then tell her to give it a little more power. Sounds like you need to nail down the melodies before you sing them.

I like the song and the feel, but sometimes it does go out of time in various places which is quite distracting. It sounds like the drums are out to be honest. The girl has potential to have a real nice voice, but not as yet, she reminds me of Meg White when she sings in The White Stripes.

thanks for liking it phil despite its flaws

Back