can someone with monitors...

whjr15

...give me a general synopsis of this rough mix i did last night?

its only 35 seconds long, so its not much. it will probably end up being the intro and refrain (i think thats what im trying to say) for this new song im working on.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=2974

BUT i only have PC speakers, so there are most likely some subtleties im missing out on.

if you could just give it a quick listen and let me know whats up, i'd appreciate it.

thanks

That guitar in the center, behind the rhythym.. playing lead, sounds like it's mid to high proportion is off.. too loud in the mids, to quiet in the highs...

Otherwise, sounds pretty good.. mp3 could be messin' with me tho...

Upon second listen... there is a lil too much pick sound on the beginning... If it's on a separate track.. maybe back it off some...

peritus said:
That guitar in the center, behind the rhythym.. playing lead, sounds like it's mid to high proportion is off.. too loud in the mids, to quiet in the highs...

are you talking about the very beginning riff? or the part after that?

but yeah, i agree about the picking noise now that you brought it up... i'll just re-track it again, its one track -- i guess i was a bit too close to the mic or somethin, for it to pick that up.

...but what about the bass - thats my biggest problem area with my songs. either its too low, too high, too boomy, or too way too mid freq. heavy.

but thanks a lot for listening, i appreciate it

I prolly shouldn't rate the bass.. cause my monitors are reaally bass shy...

Well the beginning riff is what I meant with the frequencies.... sorry for the confusion... After the beat drops, it sounds pretty good...

Only other thing I would take a closer look at is the snare.. It sounds a lil over compressed.. Don't hear any crack on it...

Funny now that I think about it.. The snare is suffering from the same kinda problem as the beginning riff.. all mid, no or little highs...

Ya might wait for a second opinion before doing any big changes though...

The beginning riff might be cool to leave as is (frequency wise).. It will surprise your listener more, once the song "opens up"... (ala Nirvana)

haha yeah... thats what ive noticed recently about my recordings... ALL mids.

thats what happens when you try to make adjustments with cheap ass pc speaker i guess.

once i get more layed down, i'll prolly have to do it the old fashoned way - make a CD and listen to it on every possible source i can, and take notes lol.

but thanks again, its good to hear an "outsiders" opinion... it all starts soundin the same after hearin the damn thing 300 times :D

...anyone else??

I had a quick couple of listens!

What I noticed:

1. The snare is very flat sounding, maybe some more in the mids and a tad on the highs just to make it cut through the mix a little more.

2. The kick is buried, more volume and maybe a boost around the 100kHz.

3. The melody playing guitar needs to be bought forward in the mix to penetrate through the riffing guitars.

4. Perhaps pan the rhythm guitars wider, I would go hard left and hard right.

You have a sweet guitar tone for the rhythm guitars, it sounds like you have a sweet tune in the works there!

I hope my opinion may help you somewhat!

Gorty :)

Gorty said:
I had a quick couple of listens!

What I noticed:

1. The snare is very flat sounding, maybe some more in the mids and a tad on the highs just to make it cut through the mix a little more.

2. The kick is buried, more volume and maybe a boost around the 100kHz.

3. The melody playing guitar needs to be bought forward in the mix to penetrate through the riffing guitars.

4. Perhaps pan the rhythm guitars wider, I would go hard left and hard right.

You have a sweet guitar tone for the rhythm guitars, it sounds like you have a sweet tune in the works there!

I hope my opinion may help you somewhat!

Gorty :)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3005

thanks for the listen AND the advice especially :D

i tweaked a few things as you guys recommended...except for the pick sounds and EQ on the beginning riff -- i completely forgot what distortion i used, but i'll come back to that though.

i boosted the kick at 100kHz, added some highs to the snare, brought the level of the rhythm guitars down some, as well as some more panning, and retracked the bass.

could you give it one more listen and see if you think this is a good "sound" to base the rest of the song off of?? especially the bass. on my speakers (PC) it sounds like its right at that fine line between distorting or not, but if i turn it down it just gets absorbed by everything else. If you could possibly give me some advice on that, i would TRUELY appreciate it.

Thanks again for helpin me out guys. :D

whjr15 said:
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3005

thanks for the listen AND the advice especially :D

i tweaked a few things as you guys recommended...except for the pick sounds and EQ on the beginning riff -- i completely forgot what distortion i used, but i'll come back to that though.

i boosted the kick at 100kHz, added some highs to the snare, brought the level of the rhythm guitars down some, as well as some more panning, and retracked the bass.

could you give it one more listen and see if you think this is a good "sound" to base the rest of the song off of?? especially the bass. on my speakers (PC) it sounds like its right at that fine line between distorting or not, but if i turn it down it just gets absorbed by everything else. If you could possibly give me some advice on that, i would TRUELY appreciate it.

Thanks again for helpin me out guys. :D

Everything is sounding a lot more even and is sitting nicely in the mix.

The Bass........Definitely Too Loud, bring it down in volume a few db, say at a guess 3db. Turn the bass down until you can just hear it and post up a mix. It will sound quite good once the bass level is soughted. I can hear the kick now and the melody played by the guitar is more prominent. The snare is sounding better.
You're getting there!

Keep it coming....We will get you there!

Gorty

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3007

ok i turned the bass down about 3-4 db... and on these speakers i cant really hear the little nuances of it, just the "more full" sound of the mix itself.. if you know what i mean?

thats why i always have problems when mixing on these speakers.. but they are my only option at this time, so i cant really do anything about it.

CANT WAIT to get some monitors... ANYTHING would be better than these haha. But I digress.... :D

thanks again

Back